Switching from triple crankset to compact, along with other things

jwa0042

Sep 12, 2010
New member here, and new to cycling with a 2006 Fuji Roubaix, and with me being the type that can't leave well enough alone, i've been thinking of was of upgrading it.

I initially compromised in a few areas for the sake of cost, with a plan to slowly upgrade components on it if i really got into riding. One of the things i thought about was changing the triple crankset to a compact. I've been reading around and found that this will require a new BB, both derailleurs. Is there anything else that will not be compatible with a compact crank? chain or cassette? I really don't know anything as far as whats compatible with what. I thought i could possibly combine this with a switch to SRAM Rival shifters and derailleurs also, since i would need new components there anyways. I've been deal searching around on different online retailers and ebay, and i think i could do this in my budget. I just want to figure everything out first.

Also, i thought about switching to SRAM first, but it seems that none of their groups are compatible with a triple crank. I'm not 100% sure though so someone correct me if i'm wrong.

And finally, the bike came with wheels that are pretty heavy. 2178g. I thought about switching to some Fulcrum Racing 5's, which are 1760. I know from physics that reducing rotational weight is where weight reduction will make the most difference, and it will be almost a pound reduction. Would this be a better first upgrade than the drivetrain?

Sorry for the long rambling post. :D

jwa0042 said:
New member here
HI!
jwa0042 said:
new to cycling...I just want to figure everything out first.
Just ride the bike. You're going to waste so much money upgrading expensive parts to net very minor gains in performance, as the bike will still largely be what it originally was. The biggest performance upgrade you can get right now is free; it's called building strength and stamina by riding what you already have.

Serious Chris said:
HI!

Just ride the bike. You're going to waste so much money upgrading expensive parts to net very minor gains in performance, as the bike will still largely be what it originally was. The biggest performance upgrade you can get right now is free; it's called building strength and stamina by riding what you already have.

+1