Switching to 6 speeds

stevekim

May 22, 2003
I am planning on switching from an 8 speed Shimano 600 STI system to an old school Mavic SSC 6 speed friction shifting system. My question is, will I have to make major modifications to the rear wheel? Right now I'm running an 8 speed cassette with dura ace hubs. would it be possible to simply substitute the 8 speed cassette with a 6 speed one?

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Originally posted by stevekim
I am planning on switching from an 8 speed Shimano 600 STI system to an old school Mavic SSC 6 speed friction shifting system. My question is, will I have to make major modifications to the rear wheel? Right now I'm running an 8 speed cassette with dura ace hubs. would it be possible to simply substitute the 8 speed cassette with a 6 speed one?

Thanks for your help.

Steve
The 8 speed hub is too wide,so you would need a spacer, as that is how you run a 7 speed HG cassette on a newer 8/9 speed HG hub. What are you using for a 6 speed cassette? The old shimano 6 speed uniglides are incompatible with the newer HG stuff.

Originally posted by boudreaux
The 8 speed hub is too wide,so you would need a spacer, as that is how you run a 7 speed HG cassette on a newer 9/9 speed HG hub. What are you using for a 6 speed cassette? The old shimano 6 speed uniglides are incompatible with the newer HG stuff.

Given that it is friction shifting, what is the advantage of changing the cassette, why not see if you can use the friction shifters with the current cassette - adjust the limits of the derailer if necessary?

Originally posted by PiledHigher
Given that it is friction shifting, what is the advantage of changing the cassette, why not see if you can use the friction shifters with the current cassette - adjust the limits of the derailer if necessary?

Why?!!!!!

Originally posted by larry barr
Why?!!!!!

I'm assuming that he is going to barcons or similar, why else go back to 6? if this is the reason and it is a friction shifter why change chainrings, cassette, chain - just use the shifter on the drivetrain that he has now.

i love vintage components. nothing classier than a set of campy super record in my opinion. i also love the old mavic ssc component group. i have managed to pick up almost the full set and plan on putting them on my bike as soon as some parts arrive. i'm just not sure what cassette the derailleur will be compatible with. i just assumed 6 speeds.

steve

I'm assuming that he is going to barcons or similar, why else go back to 6? if this is the reason and it is a friction shifter why change chainrings, cassette, chain - just use the shifter on the drivetrain that he has now.

Originally posted by stevekim
i love vintage components. nothing classier than a set of campy super record in my opinion. i also love the old mavic ssc component group. i have managed to pick up almost the full set and plan on putting them on my bike as soon as some parts arrive. i'm just not sure what cassette the derailleur will be compatible with. i just assumed 6 speeds.

steve

i'm with PiledHigher. if indexing or chain-width is not an issue, use the 8-speed. depending on the adjustability of the derailleur, you might have an 8-speed mavic ssc system on your hands!

I don't even remember 6-speed cassettes. My first road bike was a Campy 6-speed freewheel. 7-speed freewheels were the standard for a while and then came 7-speed cassettes and then freewheels pretty much disappeared. It's possible Shimano or Mavic or Campy made a 6-speed cassette but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit on any modern hub.

If you've got a full set why not build a new set of wheels with an original hub and cassette?

i've got a near complete set. the only thing i'm missing are the hubs and cassette. i think i will first see if i even need a 6 or 7 speed cassette. i appreciate everybody's advice.

steve

If you've got a full set why not build a new set of wheels with an original hub and cassette?

Originally posted by DiabloScott
It's possible Shimano or Mavic or Campy made a 6-speed cassette but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fit on any modern hub.
Yeah,shimano did.