switching to cycling not sure which way to go

mlanahan

Feb 21, 2013
Hi everyone, looks like ill be switching from triathlons to cycling. My hamstring is not healing right but it doesn't hurt when cycling. I'm not sure which direction to go. Theres a tt every tuesday about an hour away. There's a crit every tuesday an hour in the other direction. Im also interested in some 100 ile rides in under 5hrs. I ride alot but I have a lot to learn about cycling. My roadbike is an orbea starship and i have a felt b2 tt bike. I can train 10+hrs a week in the summer. I usualy avg 21 to 23 mph on shorter tris dependant on time of year or conditions in Ironman and halfs abut 20. What would yo do if you were in my shoes? Not sure how i would stand or what im fast enough to do. Thanks

Try both. Then decide. Or don't decide. There's nothing that says you can't do both.

Originally Posted by Malkmus .

I've always wanted to learn how to juggle.
I always wanted to know Russian...

Привет, как ты?

I just didn't know where i stood. If i pull off a 24 mph 40k tt am i going to get blown out. How fast are cat 5 racers? I already new cyclists are not welcoming of triathletes as is evident by two of the posts. But guess ill just try it out and see what happens.

Originally Posted by mlanahan .

Hi everyone, looks like ill be switching from triathlons to cycling. My hamstring is not healing right but it doesn't hurt when cycling. I'm not sure which direction to go. Theres a tt every tuesday about an hour away. There's a crit every tuesday an hour in the other direction. Im also interested in some 100 ile rides in under 5hrs. I ride alot but I have a lot to learn about cycling. My roadbike is an orbea starship and i have a felt b2 tt bike. I can train 10+hrs a week in the summer. I usualy avg 21 to 23 mph on shorter tris dependant on time of year or conditions in Ironman and halfs abut 20. What would yo do if you were in my shoes? Not sure how i would stand or what im fast enough to do. Thanks
10 hours is not a lot of training but 24mph for 40k is reasonable.

100miles in under 5 hours is a fast group ride. Years ago we used to plan for 5 hours +/- for our Saturday ride. It was a friendly ride so we all finished together. Last couple years there has been an orgainzed 100 mile event where people are rewarded for fininshing under 5 hours. Last year about 20 non-racers showed up. 1 rode 4:35 or so. About 10 finished under 5 hours.

Cat5 racers are a mixed bag. There will be people not as strong as you.

Thanks old guy. Another question is are there age divisions along with cat ratings. Just wondering I'm 46

master category, if you want to change to road cycling then do the criteriums, a road bike TT is = to the thriatlon bike leg, so ... well i heard that nowadays you can drag on the bike leg of a thriatlon but anyway is not like a road bike per se,

Masters/Veteran age-graded racing is usually pretty safe in the 40+ brackets. It's been my experience that tri guys coming into road/crit racing are fit, strong and fast...in a straight line. You will need to learn cornering and pack skills, but that's no big thing. Practice banging bars/hips/knuckles with friends on grass if you think you need to improve your handling. You'll get the hang of the required punch and race tempo.

If possible, find a training series to join. No pressure, just good practice and a good workout.

If you're going to race more than a couple/three times per season, get a USCF/USAC license. There's lots of good info on their website, also.

I've known some rockets that trained on 10-12 hours/week, but for most of us it requires a bit more time in the saddle. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Triathletes he said are not welcome by cyclists. I wonder why. Lol They do more and are quite versatile compared to cyclists unless they do other things. Some cyclists also run or jog. If I have the means I will swim, jog, and ride. Whatever is available and most convenient to do.
Hamstring not healing right. Well, there are many things to do to work this one out. The bike won't affect it too much. I would properly stretch it out every day. More than likely failing to stretch and doing strenuous exercise will cause problems. Heat should help. Water therapy. Proper diet for muscles and tendons. Could be a vitamin deficiency. The system in the body not completely functioning properly. There are a lot of things to take a look at.