SWT/Cycle survey

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ianmel, Jul 2, 2004.

  1. Ianmel

    Ianmel Guest

    If you are in the South West Trains region, keep an eye out at your
    railway station for a leaflet with a survey in it. SWT want to hear your
    views on taking bikes on their services. Tell them how you feel!

  2. Ianmel <[email protected]>typed

    > If you are in the South West Trains region, keep an eye out at your
    > railway station for a leaflet with a survey in it. SWT want to hear your
    > views on taking bikes on their services. Tell them how you feel!

    > --

    The leaflet only contains a postcard you return to them so they can put
    you on their database. The whole premise of this phoney 'consultation'
    seems wrong, IMHO.

    SWT want to increase rush hour restrictions on cyclists. They seem to
    wish to reduce cycle capacity all in all.

    I went to Weymouth from London earlier this week (without a bicycle).
    The whole of the centre coach was taken up by the buffet car, yet the
    buffet closed at Brockenhurst, after which almost half the journey (in
    time, at least) was without any use for that central car. This trip was
    on a weekday afternoon.

    We broke our return journey, to visit David's father in Christchurch. On
    one train there were no catering facilities, so the central car was
    unused, on one there was only a trolley, so again the centre car was
    unused and it was only on our final train that the buffet car was in use
    for the whole trip.

    If they think the cyclists' use of space is uneconomical, I think they
    should review the catering. Decent space that wouldn't require the
    cyclist to hang bikes up could easily be supplied...

    They might even prevent some of us getting cars and never using the
    railway again...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  3. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

    > Ianmel <[email protected]>typed
    >
    > > If you are in the South West Trains region, keep an eye out at your
    > > railway station for a leaflet with a survey in it. SWT want to hear your
    > > views on taking bikes on their services. Tell them how you feel!

    > > --

    > The leaflet only contains a postcard you return to them so they can put
    > you on their database. The whole premise of this phoney 'consultation'
    > seems wrong, IMHO.
    >
    > SWT want to increase rush hour restrictions on cyclists. They seem to
    > wish to reduce cycle capacity all in all.

    Exactly.

    Firstly Get hold of some of the postcards from the CTC and hand them out
    to fellow train using cyclists.

    Secondly when travelling try and take note how many other passengers are
    on the train. Some journeys I have made with bike (off-peak) I've made
    up 50% of the train's custom.
    Let the SRA know how much you use the trains and also what percentage of
    the passenger numbers are cyclists.

    John B