{Syd} Bike commute quicker than bus

beerwolf

Guest
To add a Sydney data point to the commuting comparisons.

This morning I decided to race a bus from my usual stop (if I was still
catching them) to my usual CBD hopoff point. The bus was about a
minute ahead of me as I reached the stop, but I caught up with it at
the first set of lights, where we were both held up. From that point,
the bus never passed me, and I was so far ahead of it at the end
point that I didn't bother waiting to measure the exact difference.

The route was from Glebe to the CBD along Broadway and
George Street. From front door to desk took me 19 minutes,
stopping at all red lights except one[*]. The bus trip, when I
used to do it, took between 25 and 35 minutes from bus stop
to bus stop, _excluding_ time waiting for the bus, and excluding
time walking from bus stop to office.

Broadway/George St is a much more stressful ride, however,
than the usual Bridge Road or Anzac Bridge routes (via Bridge
Road takes 12-15 min door to desk).

[*] At the red light where I did not stop, I wanted to turn left.
I dismounted, walked a few metres on the footpath, and placed
the bike on the road (there was a big enough gap in traffic).
So did nothing illegal.

--
beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

"beerwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To add a Sydney data point to the commuting comparisons.
>
> This morning I decided to race a bus from my usual stop (if I was still
> catching them) to my usual CBD hopoff point. The bus was about a
> minute ahead of me as I reached the stop, but I caught up with it at
> the first set of lights, where we were both held up. From that point,
> the bus never passed me, and I was so far ahead of it at the end
> point that I didn't bother waiting to measure the exact difference.
>
> The route was from Glebe to the CBD along Broadway and
> George Street. From front door to desk took me 19 minutes,
> stopping at all red lights except one[*]. The bus trip, when I
> used to do it, took between 25 and 35 minutes from bus stop
> to bus stop, _excluding_ time waiting for the bus, and excluding
> time walking from bus stop to office.
>
> Broadway/George St is a much more stressful ride, however,
> than the usual Bridge Road or Anzac Bridge routes (via Bridge
> Road takes 12-15 min door to desk).
>
> [*] At the red light where I did not stop, I wanted to turn left.
> I dismounted, walked a few metres on the footpath, and placed
> the bike on the road (there was a big enough gap in traffic).
> So did nothing illegal.
>
> --
> beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

Yeah beerwolf, I'd beleive that, but when on a bike, you don't have to stop
and pick up passengers and sell tickets, waiting for people to get organised
with their money etc etc.
to keep it in context, 1 x bus carries about 60 people in the peek comapred
to 1x bicycle which carries only 1 person......no competition, but great
stuff...at least you're not one of those idiots in a car committing near
suicide cutting in front of buses in the broadway just to make the left turn
into Wattle Ave from the 4th lane.

DJ

"DJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "beerwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> To add a Sydney data point to the commuting comparisons.
>>>>

>> Broadway/George St is a much more stressful ride, however,
>> than the usual Bridge Road or Anzac Bridge routes (via Bridge
>> Road takes 12-15 min door to desk).

Broadway is a breeze! I particularly like to see the big VMS sign near UTS
flash up the Share the Road, Pass Cyclists Safely message just as I am
coming up to it. Does it detect cyclists?

>> beerwolf >>

> Yeah beerwolf, I'd beleive that, but when on a bike, you don't have to
> stop and pick up passengers and sell tickets, waiting for people to get
> organised with their money etc etc.
> to keep it in context, 1 x bus carries about 60 people in the peek
> comapred to 1x bicycle which carries only 1 person......no competition,

Yeah but there is one more place on the bus for someone if Beerwolf is
cycling.

>but great
> stuff...at least you're not one of those idiots in a car committing near
> suicide cutting in front of buses in the broadway just to make the left
> turn into Wattle Ave from the 4th lane.

Dangerous spot that if you are cycling in the Bus Lane. I prefer to cycle in
the next lane over through there if I can (only get a few toots from
impatient types )to avoid being cut up by those left turners. Also sometimes
the buses are conga lining and you cant get in anyway. and they will
overtake you and then stop dead in front of you at UTS. Love the merge
required after Harris St to get into the lanes for Pitt St and Eddy Av too.
Highlight of the day - job is pretty boring.

fb in sydknee

DJ wrote:

> Yeah beerwolf, I'd beleive that, but when on a bike, you don't have to
> stop and pick up passengers and sell tickets, waiting for people to get
> organised with their money etc etc.
> to keep it in context, 1 x bus carries about 60 people in the peek
> comapred to 1x bicycle which carries only 1 person......no competition,
> but great stuff...at least you're not one of those idiots in a car
> committing near suicide cutting in front of buses in the broadway just to
> make the left turn into Wattle Ave from the 4th lane.

Yeah, doesn't that setup at Wattle Ave suck?
Sydney must be the only major city left in the developed world where
bus drivers are still obliged to take cash fares. And give out change from
$20 notes !!! I kid you not, I timed a wait to pick up passegers at 6
minutes one morning at the church stop just after the Broadway Centre.
I swear I was growing an ulcer while I was still riding Sydney buses.

--
beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

"beerwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> DJ wrote:
>
>> Yeah beerwolf, I'd beleive that, but when on a bike, you don't have to
>> stop and pick up passengers and sell tickets, waiting for people to get
>> organised with their money etc etc.
>> to keep it in context, 1 x bus carries about 60 people in the peek
>> comapred to 1x bicycle which carries only 1 person......no competition,
>> but great stuff...at least you're not one of those idiots in a car
>> committing near suicide cutting in front of buses in the broadway just to
>> make the left turn into Wattle Ave from the 4th lane.

> Yeah, doesn't that setup at Wattle Ave suck?
> Sydney must be the only major city left in the developed world where
> bus drivers are still obliged to take cash fares. And give out change from
> $20 notes !!! I kid you not, I timed a wait to pick up passegers at 6
> minutes one morning at the church stop just after the Broadway Centre.
> I swear I was growing an ulcer while I was still riding Sydney buses.
>
> --
> beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

You grow an ulcer? jeez......take it from me, I'm one of those bus drivers
( and a cyclist) and it gives me more than ulcers having to change that $20
note or worse..a $50 or a $100.
But unfortunately we have to grin and bear it, and we're not the only city
to have to take cash fares, most in Australia do,in fact all do. we're
getting a whole new ticket system coming in soon but still doesn't solve the
fare problem.

Those cars that go from lane 4 to lane 1 to turn left into Wattle St do this
infront of a loaded 18 tonne bus, a cyclist wouldn't even exist to these
lunatics...I swear to god one day my reaction time will be too slow. I near
barrelled an old mercedes a few weeks ago in this place doing the above
mentioned and he had about 4 other people in his car.....he tried to kill
them too, I missed him by less than 6 inches i reckon......everyone in the
bus held their breath especially me.I got a few passenger witnesses but none
got his rego plate. BUGGER!!

If I had a dollar for every accident that I've avoided happening over the
past 18 yrs,I'd be a very wealthy man, but it's just a matter of time
for.......well need I say!

DJ

On 2006-08-09, DJ (aka Bruce)
> "beerwolf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Yeah, doesn't that setup at Wattle Ave suck?
>> Sydney must be the only major city left in the developed world where
>> bus drivers are still obliged to take cash fares. And give out change from
>> $20 notes !!! I kid you not, I timed a wait to pick up passegers at 6
>> minutes one morning at the church stop just after the Broadway Centre.
>> I swear I was growing an ulcer while I was still riding Sydney buses.

> You grow an ulcer? jeez......take it from me, I'm one of those bus drivers
> ( and a cyclist) and it gives me more than ulcers having to change that $20
> note or worse..a $50 or a $100.
> But unfortunately we have to grin and bear it, and we're not the only city
> to have to take cash fares, most in Australia do,in fact all do. we're
> getting a whole new ticket system coming in soon but still doesn't solve the
> fare problem.
>
> Those cars that go from lane 4 to lane 1 to turn left into Wattle St do this
> infront of a loaded 18 tonne bus, a cyclist wouldn't even exist to these
> lunatics...I swear to god one day my reaction time will be too slow. I near
> barrelled an old mercedes a few weeks ago in this place doing the above
> mentioned and he had about 4 other people in his car.....he tried to kill
> them too, I missed him by less than 6 inches i reckon......everyone in the
> bus held their breath especially me.I got a few passenger witnesses but none
> got his rego plate. BUGGER!!

18 tonnes? Just barrel through them, let darwin sort them out.
Assume that their 1.5 tonne car has slowed down to 40 by the time you
hit them, when you are doing 60. Worst possible circumstance for you
is that it is a perfectly elastic collision.

M := 18
m := 1.5
A := 60
a := 40

\!\(Solve[{M\ V + m\ v == M\ A + m\ a, \
M\ V\^2 + m\ v\^2 == M\ A\^2 + m\ a\^2}, \ {v, V}]\)

=> new velocity of bus is 57 km/h (car goes flying off at 77km/h)

Ie, your passengers only suffer a 3km/h shock. They'll be right.

Don't do what tram drivers faced with emergency situations do -- they
throw on the magnetic track brake which stops pretty darned close to
instanteously. Instead of causing a small bit of panel work damage to
the tram, and a large bit of damage to idiot who pulled out in front
(perfect justice, really), they cause a whole bunch of injuries to the
passengers of the tram -- perfect injustice.

--
TimC
These days I'd use MOSFETs. 1kV 6A (use at 200VDC) ones are about $10 US.

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 09 Aug 2006 10:43:30 GMT
DJ <[email protected]> wrote:

> If it's a taxi...different story....i don't even go near a brake pedal!!

heh.

I used to carry my sword in a carrier on the back of my motorcycle. Pulled
up next to a bus once and the driver looks down and says "what's that
for? Taxis?"

Zebee

"> 18 tonnes? Just barrel through them, let darwin sort them out.
> Assume that their 1.5 tonne car has slowed down to 40 by the time you
> hit them, when you are doing 60. Worst possible circumstance for you
> is that it is a perfectly elastic collision.

Yeah Tim but I gotta live with the possibility that I may actually Kill someone by ramming them.....although it's bloody tempting!!

> M := 18
> m := 1.5
> A := 60
> a := 40
>
> \!\(Solve[{M\ V + m\ v == M\ A + m\ a, \
> M\ V\^2 + m\ v\^2 == M\ A\^2 + m\ a\^2}, \ {v, V}]\)

This may as well be in Chinese to me....eeeeeeeeek!!

> => new velocity of bus is 57 km/h (car goes flying off at 77km/h)
>
> Ie, your passengers only suffer a 3km/h shock. They'll be right.
>

> Don't do what tram drivers faced with emergency situations do -- they
> throw on the magnetic track brake which stops pretty darned close to
> instanteously. Instead of causing a small bit of panel work damage to
> the tram, and a large bit of damage to idiot who pulled out in front
> (perfect justice, really), they cause a whole bunch of injuries to the
> passengers of the tram -- perfect injustice.

Yes again Tim, this is something that must be considered mostly within a split second whether it's best to hit an offending vehicle or slam the brakes on hard and throw everyone through the windscreen ( the brakes on those newer buses are friggin deadly even though they have ABS). One must remember that no-one on the bus is wearing a seatbelt and the elderly (40% of my passengers) are not strong enough or quick enough to hang on in severe braking.

If it's a taxi...different story....i don't even go near a brake pedal!!

DJ

> --
> TimC
> These days I'd use MOSFETs. 1kV 6A (use at 200VDC) ones are about $10 US.
> Should do a hell of a job on twisted pair Ethernet equipment. - Brian in ASR

DJ wrote:

....snipped

>Yes again Tim, this is something that must be considered mostly within
>a split second whether it's best to hit an offending vehicle or slam the brakes
>on hard and throw everyone through the windscreen ( the brakes on those
>newer buses are friggin deadly even though they have ABS). One must remember
>that no-one on the bus is wearing a seatbelt and the elderly (40% of my
>passengers) are not strong enough or quick enough to hang on in severe braking.

>If it's a taxi...different story....i don't even go near a brake pedal!!

Yes, during a severe braking experience on a bus, I once ended
up with a very prominent lipstick smudge on my collar. Required
a fair bit of explaining, later that night .......

--
beerwolf (remove numbers from email address)

On 2006-08-09, beerwolf (aka Bruce)

> ------=_NextPart_000_0017_01C6BC03.F4C1C060

Dudes! What's with the miming?

> DJ wrote:
>
> ...snipped
>
>>Yes again Tim, this is something that must be considered mostly within
>>a split second whether it's best to hit an offending vehicle or slam =

> the brakes
>>on hard and throw everyone through the windscreen ( the brakes on those
>>newer buses are friggin deadly even though they have ABS). One must =

> remember
>>that no-one on the bus is wearing a seatbelt and the elderly (40% of my
>>passengers) are not strong enough or quick enough to hang on in severe =

> braking.
>
>>If it's a taxi...different story....i don't even go near a brake =

> pedal!!
>
> Yes, during a severe braking experience on a bus, I once ended
> up with a very prominent lipstick smudge on my collar. Required
> a fair bit of explaining, later that night .......

Heh. In such circumstances, drivers should be required to give notes
out like "sick notes" of old for people to take home to their
parents/wives.

--
TimC
Shift to the Left;