Syd to Canberra

Tim46

Oct 9, 2007
Has anyone ridden from sydney to canberra?? I am going to be doing the ride over 2 days and i noticed in bikely there is a route that i was looking at taking, so i figured if someone had done it on here they could provide some advice and their experiences...

Tim46 said:
Has anyone ridden from sydney to canberra?? I am going to be doing the ride over 2 days and i noticed in bikely there is a route that i was looking at taking, so i figured if someone had done it on here they could provide some advice and their experiences...

What route was suggested? Taking the Hume/Federal highway is probably the quickest way and the highway has a good shoulder but I'm not sure if you are allowed to ride all of the Freeway at the Sydney end. If you go down to Wollongong and turn inland from there you are going to have to climb up a HUGE moutain somewhere to get up the dividing range. Those secondary highways are narrow and twisty with fast traffic and to be honest I would feel safer on the Hume highway.

Regards, Anthony

Tim46 said:
here's a youtube vid of someone doing it in a day - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_kX1vqjCzQ

/k

anthonyg said:
What route was suggested? Taking the Hume/Federal highway is probably the quickest way and the highway has a good shoulder but I'm not sure if you are allowed to ride all of the Freeway at the Sydney end. If you go down to Wollongong and turn inland from there you are going to have to climb up a HUGE moutain somewhere to get up the dividing range.
You have to go a long way past Wollongong before turning. Turning up the Illawarra Highway at Wollongong deposits you at around Picton, which is a long way from Canberra.

The highway on the coast really has many extended periods of zero shoulder and it's single lane. I'd strongly recommend you avoid it.

This year I did the Goulburn to Sydney for the first time, and while they shut a full lane for the peloton I was amazed at how huge the shoulder was most of the way. I think going down the Hume is the way to go.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
that doesnt count, he starts at campbelltown, he's nearly halfway there already!! ;-p
yeah, what a softcock :D pfffttt, and the bludger kept stopping to take video.

/k