Sydney bike shop recommendations

i agree with rod white's comments on stanmore cycles on parramatta rd. bob & bernhard are extremely helpful - sometimes, its hard to get away from them when you get them started....sheeesshh!! but seriously, i'm wiser for it, they're the best!! they only stock shogun as their entry-level road brand and when they get 2005 stock later in the year, i'll purchase one within my budget (entry-level). otherwise they do custom jobs with european brands such as pinarello, pegoretti, look, wilier, etc.

i'm looking to join the cycling fraternity and have also been to clarence st city, and precision cycles on the kingsway at caringbah (new bike shop owned by triathlete chris mccormack). i popped into precision as i was riding through on my motorcycle. i found pommy dan (ex bates bikes) at precision extremely helpful and informative. i won't buy a set of wheel from there though, it's a good 25km from my front door and i really want to develop a relationship with bike shop closer to home.

Rod White said:
It is just that recently I was at the start line and placed next to one of the guys in my local cycle club. I noticed he had a brand new bib and brace and jersey on and commented that they looked good. He then was more than happy to tell me how cheap they were on the internet and so on and on. Sitting on his carbon fibre bike and driving a Landcruiser! And I'm thinking, thanks, your the reason my local bike store will close down and I'll have buy tubes over the internet, catch a train into Clarence Street or visit Rebel. *****.

Funny to be quoting myself but some time has passed and it is sad to say that Peter Bundy cycles is closing down at the end of September. What a major loss to cyclists in southern sydney! Peter was free with advice and it was good advice at that. He is friendly and knowledgeable. Now the only way you can ask him a question is if you happen to run into him somewhere by chance. Good luck with that.

Two stores in the St George area closed within six months of each other and I have it from a bike store owner that the sales reps are saying that around 40% of sydney bike stores are on credit and that some reps are only visting stores to collect monies due and are not there to take new orders.

Whatever is in store for us in the future it will be of our own making.

Peter Bundy will be working for Orbea so will still be around here and there.Who was the other shop to close in the St George area?
Also has anybody tried to buy a decent pair of bike nicks lately? If so where from?

Hey. I'm looking at buying my first roadbike next week. Done a heap of research on the net, but about the best roadbike I've riden is 2002 OCR3. The local bike store here in Bathurst doesn't seem very competitive in terms of price or even attitude to selling me a bike so I'm going to go down to Sydney to have a look. Can anyone recommend a number of shops that carry a decent range of bikes from $2000 to $4000 for me to test ride who also would be of a mind to give me a good deal on the bike and some shoes/pedals if I decide to buy that day?

[edit] I should say I've owned mountain bikes from both Trek and Giant, so am looking for something a bit different. I like to look of Cannondale stuff and the Specialized Roubaix. Very different bikes I know, that's why I need to ride to see which way would be more suitable for me.

badsac said:
Can anyone recommend a number of shops that carry a decent range of bikes from $2000 to $4000 for me to test ride who also would be of a mind to give me a good deal on the bike and some shoes/pedals if I decide to buy that day.
For that sort of cash you could get a Felt bike with all the goodies!!! Only prob is most of the shops are waiting for the 05 stock to come in.What size do you need?

Lasalles said:
For that sort of cash you could get a Felt bike with all the goodies!!! Only prob is most of the shops are waiting for the 05 stock to come in.What size do you need?

Yeah, I'm hoping it might be a good time to get a bargain on some 04 stock.

I'm 5 10 with long legs short torso, so a 54-56 would be the size (I don't want the reach to the bars to be to great). I'm also going down with a friend 6 1 / 6 2 with basically the same leg length as me who was looking at spending around the $2000 or preferably a little less.

And yeah, I don't mind the Felts.

I know a lot have said here that Clarence St is expensive but they've been great to me so far. I bought my bike at the price they asked (no haggling) but every other item I've bought from them has been heavily discounted. They reduced a Polar 720i by $200, and knocked around the same amount off a set of pedals and shoes. I was most impressed. The main reason I wen back was because of the first salesperson I met there... he was incredibly helpful and not at all pushy. Considering how many people work there I think I was lucky to run into him and not someone just interested in selling me a bike!

The other bonus for me is that I work in the city and get off at Wynyard Station - all of about 200m from the store so getting after sales service is never an issue.

Grant

badsac said:
Yeah, I'm hoping it might be a good time to get a bargain on some 04 stock.

I'm 5 10 with long legs short torso, so a 54-56 would be the size (I don't want the reach to the bars to be to great). I'm also going down with a friend 6 1 / 6 2 with basically the same leg length as me who was looking at spending around the $2000 or preferably a little less.

And yeah, I don't mind the Felts.
Bump this. Come on fellas. I'll be down in Sydney on Monday with my mate and I really need some advice on where to go for some shops with a lot of stock on the floor.

[edit] Lol. Didn't need to bump it as we posted at the same time. Still need advice on well stocked shops. Clarence St sounds like it could be an option?

badsac said:
Bump this. Come on fellas. I'll be down in Sydney on Monday with my mate and I really need some advice on where to go for some shops with a lot of stock on the floor.

[edit] Lol. Didn't need to bump it as we posted at the same time. Still need advice on well stocked shops. Clarence St sounds like it could be an option?
Clarence will have a lot of stock on the floor, and they'll build the bike in your size if it's not on the floor.
All I've seen them carry in roadbikes is Trek, LeMond and Klien. I'll go stick my head in at lunch and see if I'm wrong.

Grant

(edit) If you want to give me some sizes I can check that they have what you need and give you a rundown on exactly what stock they carry.

Grant Orchard said:
Clarence will have a lot of stock on the floor, and they'll build the bike in your size if it's not on the floor.
All I've seen them carry in roadbikes is Trek, LeMond and Klien. I'll go stick my head in at lunch and see if I'm wrong.

Grant

(edit) If you want to give me some sizes I can check that they have what you need and give you a rundown on exactly what stock they carry.
Hello Grant. Sorry I didn't check in earlier to see your reply. I guess that offer of sticking your head in is over?

Just in case it isn't, I'd be 56-56, and my mate would be probably 58.

Again, sorry I missed you post. :(

badsac said:
Hello Grant. Sorry I didn't check in earlier to see your reply. I guess that offer of sticking your head in is over?

Just in case it isn't, I'd be 56-56, and my mate would be probably 58.

Again, sorry I missed you post. :(

Is there enough info on this thread for ya?

531Aussie said:
Is there enough info on this thread for ya?
Hey 531.

Well, umm. I appreciate the replies I've got. You can never have to much info though. ;)

If you are living in/around the Revesby-Padstow area, the best LBS is definitely Fulcher's Bike Hub in Chipping Norton. A couple of guys work there and both of them are equipped with extensive knowledge in the field and lovely customer-focused attitude. Particularly Chris is nice and lovely. I know some shops are only interested in selling bikes, but don't really want to fix them. Fulcher's is not like that. They are happy to repair and revive most types of bikes be it kids or grownups, old or new, road or mountain.

On the other hand, I would not recommend Pedal Patch in Panania. An old guy works alone there. He seemed grumpy. When my daughter's bike had a brake fault, I took it to Pedal Patch first. The old guy said 'I don't want to fix it. Just put up with it!'. I was speechless. So I went to Fulcher's and Chris fixed it.

I walked into here (below) on Sat for the first time, met the owner Chris Herron, & within 30-mins ordered a 2013 Focus Cayo Evo 4.0 Ultegra.
Very happy, he was very honest, didn't try to hard sell me etc, great. http://www.atelierdevelo.com/
Paul.