Sydney CBD - King St to Central route?

Kingsley

Guest
Howdy,

Anyone know of a route from King St back to Central station that won't see me killed ?

I've ride a bit back down York st to Town Hall, but it's a bit daunting (5:00pm peak hour)
after that.

I've got approximately 15 minutes to do the run, at the moment I chicken out and get the metro from
Town Hall.

cheers, -kt

I used to do that route in peak hour, and your right, it's deadly.

You haven't got a whole lot of choices have you? Sussex Street is murder, and out of the road..Elizabeth St..noooo!.. leaves Castlereagh St?! If you make it as far as the Fire Station you should be all right, just watch it at the corners...

Good luck!

Down castelreagh Street or foot path it down Elizabeth Street (Castelreagh St is, however,
your best bet)

cheers

Col

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 06:14:46 +1000, "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>Anyone know of a route from King St back to Central station that won't see me killed ?
>
>I've ride a bit back down York st to Town Hall, but it's a bit daunting (5:00pm peak hour)
>after that.
>
>I've got approximately 15 minutes to do the run, at the moment I chicken out and get the metro from
>Town Hall.
>
>cheers, -kt

kingsley <[email protected]> wrote:
> Anyone know of a route from King St back to Central station that won't see me killed ?

Two words - "Bus Lane"!

I'm not sure exactly what bus lanes there are in that area, but I used to commute down parts of
George st on a bus lane and it was great. You have to share with the buses and the taxis, but
generally they are fairly light (traffic wise that is :)

Beware of any "Bus Only Lanes" (if there are any in the CBD - not sure if there are) as bikes are
NOT allowed in these.

Scott

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 22:31:04 +1000, Col Jones wrote:

> (Castelreagh St is, however, your best bet)

Did this tonight, even stopping at all the red lights I managed to get down to Central station in
about 12 minutes.

I think I wore every red-light except one, so it takes roughly the same time to ride from Cnr King &
George across to Castlereagh, then down to Central as it does to walk to Town Hall station and catch
the metro one stop.

It was a bit daunting riding amongst the cars & buses but when I realised I could accelerate much
faster than a bus (even carrying laptop bag) I kind of found some idiot-confidence.

cheers, -kt