Sydney City bike parking

In aus.bicycle on Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:11:30 GMT
Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> I note that the two council parking stations in Sydney support bike
> parking. Has anyone used them? And just exactly what's the arrangement
> at these places? I note that the Goulburn St one charges $2 per use, do
> they provide something special?
>
> http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/ParkingAndTransport/CityPa
> rking/CarParks.asp

Dunno about those, the carpark in North Sydney under Greenwood Plaza
has a bike rack which is a) free and b) full by about 8am :)

Ring the Goulburn St one and ask them.

Zebee

In article <[email protected]>,
Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:

> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:11:30 GMT
> Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> > I note that the two council parking stations in Sydney support bike
> > parking. Has anyone used them? And just exactly what's the arrangement
> > at these places? I note that the Goulburn St one charges $2 per use, do
> > they provide something special?
> >
> > http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/ParkingAndTransport/CityPa
> > rking/CarParks.asp

> Dunno about those, the carpark in North Sydney under Greenwood Plaza
> has a bike rack which is a) free and b) full by about 8am :)
>
> Ring the Goulburn St one and ask them.

I have some weeks ago and just earlier. The phone was always engaged.
Parked in Goulbourn St station a few times in the past but don't recall
any special bike parking facilities. If they charge $2, does that mean
they may have one of those secure bike box for storage?

Talking about bike parking spaces in shopping centres. I note that the
Broadway shopping centre now has a bike parking area near one of their
rear exits. Strange thing is that it's not promoted and I have never
seen even one bike parked there amongst some 20+ anchorage stands. But I
must say the design of the stand is somewhat peculiar.
--

Artoi wrote:
> I note that the two council parking stations in Sydney support bike
> parking. Has anyone used them? And just exactly what's the arrangement
> at these places? I note that the Goulburn St one charges $2 per use, do
> they provide something special?

> http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/ParkingAndTransport/CityPa
> rking/CarParks.asp

I haven't checked, but if they're on private land, technically, they're
allowed to charge anything they want.

For that matter, they're allowed to prohibit bicycles entirely, if they
wanted to. I've heard some areas specifically do too.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>

"Artoi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Zebee Johnstone <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In aus.bicycle on Thu, 13 Dec 2007 23:11:30 GMT
>> Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > I note that the two council parking stations in Sydney support bike
>> > parking. Has anyone used them? And just exactly what's the arrangement
>> > at these places? I note that the Goulburn St one charges $2 per use, do
>> > they provide something special?
>> >
>> > http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/AboutSydney/ParkingAndTransport/CityPa
>> > rking/CarParks.asp

>> Dunno about those, the carpark in North Sydney under Greenwood Plaza
>> has a bike rack which is a) free and b) full by about 8am :)
>>
>> Ring the Goulburn St one and ask them.

> I have some weeks ago and just earlier. The phone was always engaged.
> Parked in Goulbourn St station a few times in the past but don't recall
> any special bike parking facilities. If they charge $2, does that mean
> they may have one of those secure bike box for storage?
>
> Talking about bike parking spaces in shopping centres. I note that the
> Broadway shopping centre now has a bike parking area near one of their
> rear exits. Strange thing is that it's not promoted and I have never
> seen even one bike parked there amongst some 20+ anchorage stands. But I
> must say the design of the stand is somewhat peculiar.
> --

Going back a while now but those strange stands were the idea of a youth
worker at the centre. He got keen on providing parking for youth attending a
centre there and talked management into putting them in - advised him at the
time that some ordinary U rails would be more suitable but he wanted wooden
ones! The youth worker then got a promotion and talked management into some
U rails downstairs in the fruit market, which hardly anyone used because
they were out of sight - might still be there. Also some were installed on
the top floor at the top of the foot ramp up from Francis St - great spot,
you could ride up there, but again no one knew about them - think they have
vanished. Good intentions, poorly executed. There are also some up the back
of one of the car parks, so far from entrance to shops no one would bother.
Easier to chain bikes to parking poles and bannisters out the front. -
Sorry, prob more than you want to know....

fb