Sydney Commuting is it just for the brave

Jeytown

Apr 26, 2006
Hey Everyone this is my first thread posting on this site

i have a question?

on my to work from Russell Lea to merrylands each morn i frequently use the cycleways and shared paths as well as posted roads

humans use these paths to walk there dog and the babies and trolleys and everything else (which i will state categorically i have no problem with at all its good to share )

but i commonly get a rude look and a fabulous vocabulary dialogue which ends in the word cking idiot

but i thought that if i was travelling on a bike path that the bike path was for bikes surely i cant be a rude rider by simply riding (in a safe manner that means i do not collide) on these paths.

i will use the example of the BAY RUN in Drummoyne Sydney as an example.
(i use this on the weekend only)

but also people on the Biek path that use it as a short cut to work and home.

is there a way of averting this type confrontation with everyone i meet
is there a calll or a shout i supposed to do ?

also i will point out im freindly in my reply im not a person that enjoys conflict i just want to commute like the rest of sydney to work.

Do people in opther countries experience this or is it a sydney phenom ???

I ride around the Bay as well on the way into town. The number of idiot pedestrians that walk in the cycle lane never ceases to astound me. I am thinking of spending $50 on a really loud air horn. I normally ring my bell at pedestrians as I come up behind them, and most of them jump like they've been poked with a cattle prod. If they jump at a piddly little bell, they'll probably wet themselves after a blast with a really loud air horn. After getting blasted a few times, they might take the hint and stick to their side of the pavement.

Now that winter is closing in, I'm finding a greater hazard is idiots on two wheels riding home in the dark with no lights or reflectors and dressed like Men in Black - and on the wrong side of the bike path. I've had a few close calls with these numbskulls.

yeah I get the same thing from Wenty to Auburn every day "get off the 'cking footpath" whiles they'r walking over the picture of the bike next to the walking man.

I used to have a pretty loud electric horn and even with distant polite too-toots I was almost getting bashed.

I think a baseball bat would be effective or one of these so they can see ya coming:

bikemountedROP019.jpg
ROP_HOLA_beams003small.jpg

:D

We have a number of combo pedestrian and bicyclist trails. One in particular, is very nice as it travels along a creek. Most serious road cyclists don't take the trail, as it can be fairly crowded, especially on nice days.

Occassionally I'll take it. I always yell out, "On your left", as I near pedestrians. As I pass, I tell them "thank you". I've never had any problems, other than I did startle a few people. It's so peaceful and quiet along that trail, that the sudden loud voice can do that.