Sydney Cycling on F3

shane74

Aug 15, 2004
I am planning a trip to North and was considering riding along the F3 from Hornsby towards Newcastle. There appears to be pretty generous emergency lanes that look suitable for cycling. Has anyone cycled along this Freeway, are bikes allowed, do you recommend riding on the F3.

Thanks in advance

shane74 said:
I am planning a trip to North and was considering riding along the F3 from Hornsby towards Newcastle. There appears to be pretty generous emergency lanes that look suitable for cycling. Has anyone cycled along this Freeway, are bikes allowed, do you recommend riding on the F3.

Thanks in advance

I've never done it and I've never seen anyone doing it. It does have a wide shoulder in most, if not all, parts. Can anyone recall whether the Mooney Mooney Bridge has a shoulder?

I can recommend the Pacific Highway over the F3 at least as far as the Hawkesbury bridges, and I know that there are many fine sections further north. The F3 would be unpleasant by comparison. I'd avoid it.

An alternative you might consider is to go via the northern beaches and Palm beach, and crossing to the central coast by the ferry from palm beach.

This route is used by a number of rides going to Woywoy and the like and some returning by train. See the rides at Bike North

A weekend ride which goes from Newcastle to Nelson Bay and return was extended for some by leaving Turramurra on the thursday and stopping overnight in Umina, IIRC, and in Newcastle.

Mike

artemidorus said:
I can recommend the Pacific Highway over the F3 at least as far as the Hawkesbury bridges, and I know that there are many fine sections further north. The F3 would be unpleasant by comparison. I'd avoid it.

Definatly. I rode up to Toukley late last year (from Marrickville), took the pacific highway. MUCH nicer than the F3. Almost no traffic, what traffic there is is mostly other cyclists and motorbikes.

The only downside is that it is hillier than the F3 (at the mooney mooney creek for example, the highway drops 80 meters further than the freeway). You really feel that extra 80 meters climbing back out.

And no, the Mooney Mooney bridge has no verge - see for yourself at http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficreports/cameras/f3.html. Another rider once described it as 'the scareyist 250 meters I have ever ridden.'

So to sum up: the F3 is quicker, but the highway is heaps more fun.

Edit: http://www.cyclingforums.com/t200041-cyclists-vs-motor-bike-push-bike-smashed-rider-in-hospital.html - one reason not to ride the highway.

shane74 said:
If you are going to head up the F3 make sure you get off the F3 prior to the Mooney Mooney bridge. Don't even attempt it. I'm under the impression that cyclist are not allowed on the freeway in that area anyway.
You can exit the freeway at the Calga Interchange and head towards gosford along the old Pacific Hwy. you can then re join the F3 later on, after mooney mooney.
Check some maps of the area (take them with you if not familiar with the area)

Also another one to be careful off on the F3 is the Hawksbury river bridge. That also has no shoulder.

An alternative is to take the Old Pacific Highway, from Hornsby through Berowra, Brooklyn, Mt White, Calga, then down towards Gosford via the old mooney bridge (old pacific highway) this will also take you up to rejoin the F3 near Kariong where you can (should be able) to ride along all the way up.
or can stay on the Old Pacific Highway all the way.

The F3 is long and stops for any water & foods is very limited. There is only 2 (for memory) between Sydney and Newcastle. (over 120km of freeway riding) So you will need to take quite a fair bit Especially if it's a hot day. The Pacific Hwy will have plenty of places to stop at servo's or shops along the way. Particularly after Gosford.

Trev_S said:
If you are going to head up the F3 make sure you get off the F3 prior to the Mooney Mooney bridge.

The main reason (in my eyes) to take the F3 is the Mooney Mooney bridge. It saves you a lot of climbing. I still don't advise the F3 at all though, no fun ;).