Sydney Cycling

Lesley Leadlegs

New Member
Apr 7, 2003
G'day,

can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

"Lesley Leadlegs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> G'day,

> can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where
> I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to
> death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

Try Eastwood Station to Palm Beach via Akuna Bay on a Sunday Morning.........it gives new meaning to
the word "pain".

DM

You can download different bike maps from the NSW RTA site:

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinformation/bicycles/bicyclemaps/index.html

Best of luck, marc

Lesley Leadlegs <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> G'day,
>
> can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where
> I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to
> death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

> > G'day,
>
> > can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length -
> > where I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am
> > sick to death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D
> >
> Try Eastwood Station to Palm Beach via Akuna Bay on a Sunday Morning.........it gives new meaning
> to the word "pain".

Ride to Bobbin Head?

Ritch

Pain, your a ***** mate

Lesley Leadlegs wrote:

> G'day,
>
> can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where
> I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to
> death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

The run from either Tempe or the Airport to Homebush Bay / Bicentennial Park is not too bad ..
follows the Cooks river, mostly paths without too much traffic. Admittedly it's not a road a such,
but it is asphalt(?) / concrete.

- LB

[You ought to try a cycling club..safer in numbers?.
Bobbin Head..?..didn't he/she say "not too big" hills?
Regards.

Try the old Pacific Highway from Hornsby to Gosford.
:

Thats is a great ride. Especially if you can do it through the week early when there are no
joyriders taking the racing lines.

Your not the soccer player are you? :eek:)

Luther Blissett wrote:

> Lesley Leadlegs wrote:
>
> > G'day,
> >
> > can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length -
> > where I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am
> > sick to death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D
> >

> > --

> The run from either Tempe or the Airport to Homebush Bay / Bicentennial Park is not too bad ..
> follows the Cooks river, mostly paths without too much traffic. Admittedly it's not a road a such,
> but it is asphalt(?) / concrete.
>
> - LB

John Staines Acquisition Department Phone: 61 8 8303 5347 Barr Smith Library Fax: 61 8 8303 4369
Adelaide University South Australia 5005 Australia

Email: [email protected] Alternate email: [email protected]

Chester1 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [You ought to try a cycling club..safer in numbers?. Bobbin Head..?..didn't he/she say "not too
> big" hills? Regards.

Some hills are long, some are steep and some are long and steep. The ride up from Bobbin Head is
long but not particularly steep.

Having said that, Centennial Park is pretty flat... maybe try riding anticlockwise to reverse the
dizziness?

Ritch

Thanks for your reply's. Will give the Hornsby to Gosford a shot and also Royal National Park.

No I'm definately not the soccer player.

Thinking about joining a cycling club as suggested in one of the posts - anyone heard good things about Botony/Randwick?

LLL

Lesley Leadlegs <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks for your reply's. Will give the Hornsby to Gosford a shot and also Royal National Park.
>
> No I'm definately not the soccer player.
>
> Thinking about joining a cycling club as suggested in one of the posts - anyone heard good things
> about Botony/Randwick?
>
> LLL

I've heard nothing bad about the club. Lots of members and some really good high quality races at
Heffron Park.

[Bobbin Head
I agree Bobbin Head is long and not that steep..depends how you feel about hills. Some nastier ones in the Royal National Park I think..South from Audley..the last bit up to Waterfall going out from the park?

Randwick Botany have a a good website.

Regards.

Originally posted by Lesley Leadlegs
G'day,

can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

I regularly do the Meadowbank to Botany and back run. Its got a few small hills but is mostly flat. However the return run is a gradual uphill slope along the river bank.
My other regular run is a circuit along the Parramatta river from Meadowbank, over the Silverwater bridge, back along the river bank, onto Benelong road by the Homebush ferry terminal, into Homebush park areas and eventually back top Meadowbank via the Concord railway bridge. This is about 30Km round trip so I do it 2 or 3 times. Usually very litle traffic in the weekends as its mainly an industrial area and its got lots of cycle lanes marked off.
Drop me a line and I'll come for a ride with you