Sydney Cycling

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Lesley Leadlegs, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Lesley Leadlegs

    Lesley Leadlegs New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    G'day,

    can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

    Tags:

  2. "Lesley Leadlegs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > G'day,

    > can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where
    > I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to
    > death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

    Try Eastwood Station to Palm Beach via Akuna Bay on a Sunday Morning.........it gives new meaning to
    the word "pain".

    DM

  3. Marc_9

    Marc_9 Guest

    You can download different bike maps from the NSW RTA site:

    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficinformation/bicycles/bicyclemaps/index.html

    Best of luck, marc

    Lesley Leadlegs <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > G'day,
    >
    > can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where
    > I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to
    > death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

  4. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    > > G'day,
    >
    > > can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length -
    > > where I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am
    > > sick to death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D
    > >
    > Try Eastwood Station to Palm Beach via Akuna Bay on a Sunday Morning.........it gives new meaning
    > to the word "pain".

    Ride to Bobbin Head?

    Ritch

  5. Davros

    Davros Guest

    Darren Mercer wrote:
    > "Lesley Leadlegs" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> G'day,
    >
    >> can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where
    >> I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to
    >> death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D
    >>
    > Try Eastwood Station to Palm Beach via Akuna Bay on a Sunday Morning.........it gives new meaning
    > to the word "pain".
    >

    > DM

    Pain, your a pussy mate

  6. Lesley Leadlegs wrote:

    > G'day,
    >
    > can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length - where
    > I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am sick to
    > death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D

    The run from either Tempe or the Airport to Homebush Bay / Bicentennial Park is not too bad ..
    follows the Cooks river, mostly paths without too much traffic. Admittedly it's not a road a such,
    but it is asphalt(?) / concrete.

    - LB

  7. Chester1

    Chester1 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    [You ought to try a cycling club..safer in numbers?.
    Bobbin Head..?..didn't he/she say "not too big" hills?
    Regards.

  8. tasdigi

    tasdigi New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    Try the old Pacific Highway from Hornsby to Gosford.

  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Try the old Pacific Highway from Hornsby to Gosford.
    :

    Thats is a great ride. Especially if you can do it through the week early when there are no
    joyriders taking the racing lines.

  10. John Staines

    John Staines Guest

    Your not the soccer player are you? :eek:)

    Luther Blissett wrote:

    > Lesley Leadlegs wrote:
    >
    > > G'day,
    > >
    > > can anyone recommend some good road cycling around Sydney area of about 50-90km in length -
    > > where I won't get murdered by mad motorists. I'd like some with hills (not too big!!!!). I am
    > > sick to death of Centenial Park - it's driving me crazy and I'm getting dizzy.:D
    > >

    > > --

    > The run from either Tempe or the Airport to Homebush Bay / Bicentennial Park is not too bad ..
    > follows the Cooks river, mostly paths without too much traffic. Admittedly it's not a road a such,
    > but it is asphalt(?) / concrete.
    >
    > - LB

    John Staines Acquisition Department Phone: 61 8 8303 5347 Barr Smith Library Fax: 61 8 8303 4369
    Adelaide University South Australia 5005 Australia

    Email: [email protected] Alternate email: [email protected]

  11. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    Chester1 <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [You ought to try a cycling club..safer in numbers?. Bobbin Head..?..didn't he/she say "not too
    > big" hills? Regards.

    Some hills are long, some are steep and some are long and steep. The ride up from Bobbin Head is
    long but not particularly steep.

    Having said that, Centennial Park is pretty flat... maybe try riding anticlockwise to reverse the
    dizziness?

    Ritch

  12. Lesley Leadlegs

    Lesley Leadlegs New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    Thanks for your reply's. Will give the Hornsby to Gosford a shot and also Royal National Park.

    No I'm definately not the soccer player.

    Thinking about joining a cycling club as suggested in one of the posts - anyone heard good things about Botony/Randwick?

    LLL

  13. Dans

    Dans Guest

    Lesley Leadlegs <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Thanks for your reply's. Will give the Hornsby to Gosford a shot and also Royal National Park.
    >
    > No I'm definately not the soccer player.
    >
    > Thinking about joining a cycling club as suggested in one of the posts - anyone heard good things
    > about Botony/Randwick?
    >
    > LLL

    I've heard nothing bad about the club. Lots of members and some really good high quality races at
    Heffron Park.

  14. Chester1

    Chester1 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2003
    [Bobbin Head
    I agree Bobbin Head is long and not that steep..depends how you feel about hills. Some nastier ones in the Royal National Park I think..South from Audley..the last bit up to Waterfall going out from the park?

    Randwick Botany have a a good website.

    Regards.

  15. Malcom

    Malcom New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    I regularly do the Meadowbank to Botany and back run. Its got a few small hills but is mostly flat. However the return run is a gradual uphill slope along the river bank.
    My other regular run is a circuit along the Parramatta river from Meadowbank, over the Silverwater bridge, back along the river bank, onto Benelong road by the Homebush ferry terminal, into Homebush park areas and eventually back top Meadowbank via the Concord railway bridge. This is about 30Km round trip so I do it 2 or 3 times. Usually very litle traffic in the weekends as its mainly an industrial area and its got lots of cycle lanes marked off.
    Drop me a line and I'll come for a ride with you