Sydney Harbour Bridge Cycleway "Security Upgrade"

janko_hrasko

Oct 20, 2005
Hey, Sydney folks,

This is from BikeNorth web site: "There is fencing work due to be underway on the Sydney Harbour Bridge cycleway, on the railway side, which will narrow the path by at least 25cm."

I've had a look at RTA website, and found it not very useful, I must say. No details, just some words on "security upgrade" and the possibility of closures. See for yourself : http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/majorconstructionprojectssydney/sydneyharbourbridge/shb_cyclewayupgrade.html

I'm just a bit worried, that should there be a fence erected, then the cycleway really will be too narrow for two bikes passing safely.

I guess this does not concern you if you're a weekend rider, but for commuters this should be of a great concern. Once the path is narrowed, it will be impossible to bring it back to "normal".

janko_hrasko said:
Hey, Sydney folks,

This is from BikeNorth web site: "There is fencing work due to be underway on the Sydney Harbour Bridge cycleway, on the railway side, which will narrow the path by at least 25cm."

I've had a look at RTA website, and found it not very useful, I must say. No details, just some words on "security upgrade" and the possibility of closures. See for yourself : http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/constructionmaintenance/majorconstructionprojectssydney/sydneyharbourbridge/shb_cyclewayupgrade.html

I'm just a bit worried, that should there be a fence erected, then the cycleway really will be too narrow for two bikes passing safely.

I guess this does not concern you if you're a weekend rider, but for commuters this should be of a great concern. Once the path is narrowed, it will be impossible to bring it back to "normal".
True,

I'm a Bike North member,

Please, Sydney people, go to the Bike North Web page and follow the directions to pester the RTA, roads minister etc. about maintaining this vital link. One of Austrlalia's busiest cycleways.

http://www.bikenorth.org.au/

Scotty

Harbour Bridge Cycleway

Due to 9/11 (and railway worker access - workcover etc) cyclist will be loosing 25cm (at least) along the railway side of the Harbour Bridge! They are placing a fence like structure on the railway side which will jut out over the path at least by 25cm.

Now there are a number of issues
1. The current width don't match guideline standards
2. While construction work takes place the route will be reduced to 1.5m, but this is mitigated by construction signage warning cyclists to slow down
and one way operation only (construction on 50m sections with signage 20m either side) and taking place Dec - Jan 3.
3. Upto 1000 trips take place on the bridge per day - the path is already reaching capacity and there has been a recent accident - reducing it by 25cm will make the risk of injury all that more worse.
4. They have gone the least expensive option rather than ensuring the safety of people who choose to ride.
5. Unless BNSW were consulted no one approached any cycling organisation for input/feedback.
6. On the city side where we ride through the entrance to the park a door with fold down steps will be placed there so people can exit the
tunnel if need be in case of emergencies.

Basically the argument against 'National security' will not be won at the moment, but the point is that if they wanted to spend some money they could have had a proper solution without placing people that commute to work at risk.

Seems we're up for some anti-bike campain. Check this out (from Sydney Morning Herald):

"Now, almost no one rides bikes on roads in the western suburbs. According to a Westlink spokesman, there are not even any estimated usage figures for the new bike path. Very wise, that - but it makes you wonder just why building an unwanted 40-kilometre strip of concrete to be lit at night by coal-powered electricity should be considered environmentally beneficial. The Westlink spokesman refused to disclose how much the cycleway had added to the cost of the project - or to the toll that will be charged to road users.

Fortunately the State Government is less enthusiastic about spending its money on bike infrastructure and has recently halved such expenditure. But more needs to be done. A public campaign encouraging people not to ride bikes in traffic would be a responsible start."

The whole article / URL: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2005/12/02/1133422105845.html

I see more and more cyclist/commuters on roads every month and I have a feeling that someone is scared that cycling could become mainstream and that's a biiig no no! What do you think?

cluster blaster said:
I see more and more cyclist/commuters on roads every month and I have a feeling that someone is scared that cycling could become mainstream and that's a biiig no no! What do you think?
That's easy...

Look at who has the greatest number of ads in the papers... The car industry. The papers know which side their bread is buttered on...

If your looking for objective truth, forget the media.

Scotty