Sydney Harbour Bridge Warning

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by geoffs, Sep 2, 2006.

  1. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Messages:
    558
    Likes Received:
    0
    I was riding over the SHB yesterday after a nice ride with the Stanmore cycles group. I was out in front as we were riding single file along the path due to track work being carried out.
    Anyone who has ridden over the bridge recently will have noticed the wire mesh that has been attached to each side to stop the people jumping in front of a train or off the bridge.
    What you might not know is that these panels are on hinges and when morons dont secure them properly they swing open. They have a heavy steel frame that is unpleasant to hit at 30kms/hr. I thought I had broken a couple of fingers on my left hand but they are only badly bruised whith some skin missing. The direction I was going (south) meant that the panel was slammed shut when I hit it. If I had been going in the other direction though, it would most probably knocked me off the bike.
    Pay extra attention when you are riding along there.

    Cheers

    Geoff
     
    Tags:


  2. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-09-03, geoffs (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >
    > I was riding over the SHB yesterday after a nice ride with the Stanmore
    > cycles group. I was out in front as we were riding single file along
    > the path due to track work being carried out.
    > Anyone who has ridden over the bridge recently will have noticed the
    > wire mesh that has been attached to each side to stop the people
    > jumping in front of a train or off the bridge.
    > What you might not know is that these panels are on hinges and when
    > morons dont secure them properly they swing open. They have a heavy


    Morons indeed.

    > steel frame that is unpleasant to hit at 30kms/hr. I thought I had
    > broken a couple of fingers on my left hand but they are only badly
    > bruised whith some skin missing. The direction I was going (south)
    > meant that the panel was slammed shut when I hit it. If I had been
    > going in the other direction though, it would most probably knocked me
    > off the bike.
    > Pay extra attention when you are riding along there.


    Be sure to let the council know.

    How high is the mesh -- would you be hitting it with your full body,
    or is there a chance you would topple over one?

    --
    TimC
    [On being overcaffeinated...] Yes, this is possible - symptons include
    the sun being too loud and grokking in full what Adams meant by
    "unpleasantly like being drunk". -- Steed in ASR
     
  3. Donga

    Donga Guest

    TimC wrote:
    > On 2006-09-03, geoffs (aka Bruce)
    > was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > >
    > > I was riding over the SHB yesterday after a nice ride with the Stanmore
    > > cycles group. I was out in front as we were riding single file along
    > > the path due to track work being carried out.
    > > Anyone who has ridden over the bridge recently will have noticed the
    > > wire mesh that has been attached to each side to stop the people
    > > jumping in front of a train or off the bridge.
    > > What you might not know is that these panels are on hinges and when
    > > morons dont secure them properly they swing open. They have a heavy

    >
    > Morons indeed.


    >
    > Be sure to let the council know.


    You could take it up with the morons, too, though they might not be too
    receptive after their jump!

    Donga
     
  4. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Messages:
    558
    Likes Received:
    0
    The top of the panel was level with the top of my sti lever which was bent around by the impact. Somewhere round the 1100mm mark.

    I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    Does anyone have any ideas on this?

    Cheers

    Geoff
     
  5. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The top of the panel was level with the top of my sti lever which was
    > bent around by the impact. Somewhere round the 1100mm mark.
    >
    > I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    > letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    > Does anyone have any ideas on this?


    The courts? ;)

    Pls don't flame me for this US-like mentality. :p
    --
     
  6. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-09-03, Artoi (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> The top of the panel was level with the top of my sti lever which was
    >> bent around by the impact. Somewhere round the 1100mm mark.


    Seems rather stupid to me. Can't you jump over something that's waist
    height?

    >> I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    >> letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    >> Does anyone have any ideas on this?

    >
    > The courts? ;)


    Yeah, but who do you sue? Take it to Sydney city council, and follow
    to where they pass the buck. If they claim it's the contracters
    fault, remind them that they set the contract, so it's their
    responsibility. They can sue the contracter in turn.

    > Pls don't flame me for this US-like mentality. :p


    It's justified IMNSHO.

    --
    TimC
    "The Write Many, Read Never drive. For those people that don't know
    their system has a /dev/null already." -- Rik Steenwinkel, singing
    the praises of 8mm Exabytes
     
  7. Dave Hughes

    Dave Hughes Guest

    On Sun, 03 Sep 2006 11:54:05 +1000, geoffs wrote:

    > I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    > letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    > Does anyone have any ideas on this?


    The RTA has responsibility for the bridge and therefore the cycleway.

    There's a complaints form online, or you could mail something to the
    addresses at http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/contactus/administration.html

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    That's why I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain
    that the network is down.- Peter Corlett, in the Monastery
     
  8. In aus.bicycle on Sun, 3 Sep 2006 11:54:05 +1000
    geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    > I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    > letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    > Does anyone have any ideas on this?


    The Bridge is the RTA's problem. So start at their switchboard and go
    from there. If you've had the bike damaged then you should take pics,
    too bad you couldn't at the time, but such is life.

    Zebee
     
  9. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2006-09-03, Artoi (aka Bruce)
    > was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> The top of the panel was level with the top of my sti lever which was
    > >> bent around by the impact. Somewhere round the 1100mm mark.

    >
    > Seems rather stupid to me. Can't you jump over something that's waist
    > height?
    >
    > >> I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    > >> letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    > >> Does anyone have any ideas on this?

    > >
    > > The courts? ;)

    >
    > Yeah, but who do you sue? Take it to Sydney city council, and follow
    > to where they pass the buck. If they claim it's the contracters
    > fault, remind them that they set the contract, so it's their
    > responsibility. They can sue the contracter in turn.


    I was half joking when I said that. It would be a tragedy if our society
    keep going down the litigious way of the US. Putting that aside, those
    US lawyers always seemed to be able to find someone for their target,
    and typically it's the one who has the money.

    > > Pls don't flame me for this US-like mentality. :p

    >
    > It's justified IMNSHO.


    :p
    --
     
  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-09-03, Artoi (aka Bruce)
    was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > TimC <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> On 2006-09-03, Artoi (aka Bruce)
    >> was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
    >> > In article <[email protected]>,
    >> > geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> >> I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    >> >> letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    >> >> Does anyone have any ideas on this?
    >> >
    >> > The courts? ;)

    >>
    >> Yeah, but who do you sue? Take it to Sydney city council, and follow
    >> to where they pass the buck. If they claim it's the contracters
    >> fault, remind them that they set the contract, so it's their
    >> responsibility. They can sue the contracter in turn.

    >
    > I was half joking when I said that. It would be a tragedy if our society
    > keep going down the litigious way of the US. Putting that aside, those
    > US lawyers always seemed to be able to find someone for their target,
    > and typically it's the one who has the money.


    I disagree. We are not allowed to ride across the bridge as we should
    be -- as legal road users.

    They force us onto an unsafe, inadequate lane with steps at the end.
    It is at least their duty not to *add* to the unsafe aspects of the
    path. You shouldn't have to expect to dodge any old peice of
    inadequately secured scafolding as it becomes ejected with normal
    levels of wind.

    By suing the contractors, even for small amounts (suing doesn't have
    to be for millions of dollars -- it could just be for the cost of
    repairs to the bike and any medical checkups), you force them to take
    more care next time, so that they aren't the cause of further
    injuries.


    It's the occasions when you can sue based on your own negligence that
    we have to worry about. If a reasonable person can expect that diving
    into waters they haven't checked out any danger to, yet (come on, we
    were taught not to jump into waters that we can't see where the bottom
    is, when we were in primary school!), then they shouldn't be able to
    sue the council for not putting up warning signs. But a reasonable
    person does not expect a bridge to fall apart in the wind around them.

    --
    TimC
    You see, wire telegraph is a kind of a very, very long cat. You pull
    his tail in New York and his head is meowing in Los Angeles. Do you
    understand this? And radio operates exactly the same way: you send
    signals here, they receive them there. The only difference is that
    there is no cat. -- Albie E. on radios.
     
  11. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    TimC <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I disagree. We are not allowed to ride across the bridge as we should
    > be -- as legal road users.


    Ok, so some wants to sue, others against... I dive for cover.
    --
     
  12. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    Messages:
    558
    Likes Received:
    0
    My hand is fine apart from the chunks of skin missing.
    I have no intention of sueing, my concern is that someone else who didn't have my mass, would be knocked off their bike by hitting one of these panels. Even worse would be hitting it from the other direction.
    The guy's who are working on the bridge would have to comply with the Work Safety Method Statement that would have been put in place to manage safety issues while they are at work. They have obviously made this pissy goat track that cyclists have to put up with a more dangerous place than it needs to be. I've sent a letter to tha address Dave provided and I have some contacts that I will ring tomorrow.

    Cheers

    Geoff
     
  13. Fractal

    Fractal Guest

    "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In aus.bicycle on Sun, 3 Sep 2006 11:54:05 +1000
    > geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >> I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    >> letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    >> Does anyone have any ideas on this?

    >
    > The Bridge is the RTA's problem. So start at their switchboard and go
    > from there. If you've had the bike damaged then you should take pics,
    > too bad you couldn't at the time, but such is life.
    >
    > Zebee


    The high mesh fencing was put in (on one side only) last year for security
    reasons- ie terrorism threat to the adjacent railway I guess- and also to
    provide space for a narrow walkway on top of the old fence next to the rail
    line for rail workers to access the rail line without having to walk on the
    cyclepath. Some sort of OH&S thing maybe with the rail workers. It was done
    without consultation with cycling groups. The RTA and State Rail just
    announced we are going to narrow the cyclepath, no argument. It only narrows
    the cyclepath by about 30 cm or so but seeing as cyclists can meet at about
    40-50 km/h relative or more on the downhill sections any narrowing is bound
    to increase risk of a head on or a handle bar clip and a fall. And now they
    leave the access gates loose. I noticed some pretty nasty steel angles on
    the western side of the path at about face level as well, if you did come
    off, but dont complain about them or they might narrow the path even further
    with another mesh fence.

    fb
     
  14. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Fractal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Zebee Johnstone" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In aus.bicycle on Sun, 3 Sep 2006 11:54:05 +1000
    > > geoffs <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>
    > >> I've been searching on the net to try to find who I should send a
    > >> letter of complaint to but no success so far.
    > >> Does anyone have any ideas on this?

    > >
    > > The Bridge is the RTA's problem. So start at their switchboard and go
    > > from there. If you've had the bike damaged then you should take pics,
    > > too bad you couldn't at the time, but such is life.
    > >
    > > Zebee

    >
    > The high mesh fencing was put in (on one side only) last year for security
    > reasons- ie terrorism threat to the adjacent railway I guess- and also to
    > provide space for a narrow walkway on top of the old fence next to the rail
    > line for rail workers to access the rail line without having to walk on the
    > cyclepath. Some sort of OH&S thing maybe with the rail workers. It was done
    > without consultation with cycling groups. The RTA and State Rail just
    > announced we are going to narrow the cyclepath, no argument. It only narrows
    > the cyclepath by about 30 cm or so but seeing as cyclists can meet at about
    > 40-50 km/h relative or more on the downhill sections any narrowing is bound
    > to increase risk of a head on or a handle bar clip and a fall. And now they
    > leave the access gates loose. I noticed some pretty nasty steel angles on
    > the western side of the path at about face level as well, if you did come
    > off, but dont complain about them or they might narrow the path even further
    > with another mesh fence.


    Is there a speed limit on the bridge cycle way? Iron Cove bridge's cycle
    path is probably even worse in terms of width and passing another
    cyclist. Hate riding on that. One accident could land you b/n the
    trusses and on the road for a meat mince... :(

    I think there should be a railing on the Iron Cove bridge to prevent
    that exact occurrence.
    --
     
  15. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    "Artoi" wrote

    > Is there a speed limit on the bridge cycle way? Iron Cove bridge's

    cycle
    > path is probably even worse in terms of width and passing another
    > cyclist. Hate riding on that. One accident could land you b/n the
    > trusses and on the road for a meat mince... :(
    >
    > I think there should be a railing on the Iron Cove bridge to prevent
    > that exact occurrence.


    You need a railing to protect yourself from your own stupidity?

    Theo
     
  16. Fractal

    Fractal Guest

    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "Artoi" wrote
    >
    >> Is there a speed limit on the bridge cycle way? Iron Cove bridge's

    > cycle
    >> path is probably even worse in terms of width and passing another
    >> cyclist. Hate riding on that. One accident could land you b/n the
    >> trusses and on the road for a meat mince... :(
    >>
    >> I think there should be a railing on the Iron Cove bridge to prevent
    >> that exact occurrence.

    >
    > You need a railing to protect yourself from your own stupidity?
    >
    > Theo
    >
    >

    The path is so narrow I think cyclists do take it cautiously- havent heard
    of any accidents there, and unless you were on a recumbent I dont think youd
    go through the gap in the girders onto the road. A kid might tho, or a
    pooch.. Some years ago the RTA decided it was too expensive and difficult
    to fix and there were other priorities on that route - I tended to agree at
    the time. Actually the road lane city bound is fairly wide, have seen a
    few cyclists use the road, but it doesnt feel safe with all that steel
    nearby and the fast traffic on Vic Rd.. I sometimes brave it, both ways.
    Pedal like mad and die on the other side. The RTA has done a design for a
    new bridge I hear, but havent got the funds so far. Maybe a few letters from
    cyclists might help? What about Gladesville Bridge too, its hard to get
    onto and off, particularly on the north side.

    fb
     
  17. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Artoi" wrote
    >
    > > Is there a speed limit on the bridge cycle way? Iron Cove bridge's

    > cycle
    > > path is probably even worse in terms of width and passing another
    > > cyclist. Hate riding on that. One accident could land you b/n the
    > > trusses and on the road for a meat mince... :(
    > >
    > > I think there should be a railing on the Iron Cove bridge to prevent
    > > that exact occurrence.

    >
    > You need a railing to protect yourself from your own stupidity?


    No, a railing to protect all users from being bumped by others onto the
    roadway! :p
    --
     
  18. Artoi

    Artoi Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Fractal" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The path is so narrow I think cyclists do take it cautiously- havent heard
    > of any accidents there, and unless you were on a recumbent I dont think youd
    > go through the gap in the girders onto the road. A kid might tho, or a
    > pooch.. Some years ago the RTA decided it was too expensive and difficult
    > to fix and there were other priorities on that route - I tended to agree at
    > the time. Actually the road lane city bound is fairly wide, have seen a
    > few cyclists use the road, but it doesnt feel safe with all that steel
    > nearby and the fast traffic on Vic Rd.. I sometimes brave it, both ways.
    > Pedal like mad and die on the other side. The RTA has done a design for a
    > new bridge I hear, but havent got the funds so far. Maybe a few letters from
    > cyclists might help? What about Gladesville Bridge too, its hard to get
    > onto and off, particularly on the north side.


    They did spend some money and upgraded that elevated western lane not
    too long ago. but I just think the pedestrian/cycle path is an accident
    to happen. With the speed of vehicle driving on the left lane and the
    obstructed view by the trusses, there'll be no reaction time for the car
    driver when objects fly onto the roadway. The gaps are large enough and
    it won't take much of a bump to go through it.

    I haven't ventured onto Gladesville bridge yet, will do that at some
    stage.
    --
     
Loading...
Loading...