(Sydney) Last week's commute report

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by [email protected], Mar 5, 2006.

  1. Wotcher,

    Between 27/2 and 3/3 I was nearly wiped out 4 times. A week of bad
    returns? You judge:

    Situation 1:Tuesday 3pm, City to Camperdown via Castlereagh, Pitt,
    Broadway, approx 40kph
    Situation: Occupying buslane on left, despite parked cars, downhill
    from the Abercrombie lights, trying to maintain speed for uphill
    section near City Road lights. Large dump truck on my right.

    Critical failure: Car overtook on my right, and slowed down to turn
    left into Buckland. Car's rear occupying all of bus lane at 20m. My
    failure was I decided the car would turn in the intervening space. 5m
    out I realised this wasn't going to happen, and edged right. Luckily
    the truck wasn't sitting on the lane edge. I didn't read the traffic.

    Situation 2: Wednesday 1.30pm Right/Left at Lawson into Redfern heading
    West, 10kph
    Situation: Cars try to merge on me from my right. They get a yelling
    at.

    Situation 3: Wednesday 4pm Roundabout at Codrington and Abercrombie
    heading uphill towards Sydney Uni, 10kph

    Critical failure: 15m out I decide the roundabout is probably clear.
    5m out I discover cars entering from my right and break hard (didn't
    enter the roundabout). I didn't read traffic.

    Situation 4: Wednesday 9pm High St Camperdown, downhill, near Gate 2 of
    UNSW. 60kph
    Situation: Occupying the left lane, with a vest, white shirt, front and
    rear lights, coming up on a green intersection. 20m out I look down at
    the road surface to avoid unevenness. 5m up I look at the intersection
    and discover an idiot in a black 4wd sports has turned right, across my
    path. I veer right around their tail and yell at them.

    I know, I didn't read the traffic properly on this last one, but it
    really irritated me.

    What a week. More angry at myself than anything else for being stupid
    all too stupid: not taking right lanes when traffic is slow or clear.
    Trusting streets "I know". Believing cars can actually see me at
    night.

    yours,
    Sam R.

    Tags:

  2. Bleve

    Bleve Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Wotcher,

    Ave.

    > Between 27/2 and 3/3 I was nearly wiped out 4 times. A week of bad
    > returns? You judge:

    A week of learning experiences. Bung 'em in the bank, live off the
    interest.

  3. Kimon

    Kimon Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Situation 4: Wednesday 9pm High St Camperdown, downhill, near Gate 2 of
    > UNSW. 60kph

    I guess you mean Kensington rather than Camperdown.

    General thoughts about cycling around UNSW;
    Avoid it. Cycling on either Barker St or High St is a health hazard;
    road quality is poor, lanes are narrow and too steep on the downhill
    (especially Barker Street), too many students late for lectures driving
    recklessly, too many buses and trucks.

  4. Thanks, I did mean Kensington.

    When you work at Gate 8 High St is pretty difficult to avoid :)

    Sam R.

  5. Euan

    Euan Guest

    Bleve wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >>Wotcher,

    > Ave.

    You'll never win Roman, 'cause we've got the secret potion!
    --
    Cheers | ~~ [email protected]
    Euan (indomitable Gaul)| ~~ _-\<,