Sydney -M7 and Bicycles

Terry Collins

Guest
We went for a fruit-cake Sunday[1] drive along the M7 today (last free
day) and some info since no one else has posted. Sadly 4 wheel based
observation.

If you are a roadie, serious trainer, like nice grades or a commuter,
then you will just do the normal ride in the breakdown lane. The usual
beware of bicyles sign posting is there (Well, Prestons to Old Windsor
Rd) with bicycle crossing places etc.

Are hand rails normal at these crossing places? Noted thatyou get a hand
rail for balance when waiting to cross motor vehicle exit roads, but not
MV entry roads.

Northbound, the break down lane seemed to have a heavy load of re-tread
rubber (some quite big strips too) for the southern half.

South bound, it was isolated rubbish; including one small wheelie bin.
Also seemed to more than the usual share of MV requiring assistance
compared to othe M roads.

The recreational shared bicycle/pedestrian path is very definitely
"recreational". Grades are all over the place, including a few steep
grunters. It is below, above, crosses under, crosses over the roadway
all the time. It is also entirely separated from the motor vehicle area,
so you can not easily change from one to the other.

By the impressive size of the stailess steel crossings over the roadway,
I suspect that this is really a combination service road, which means
the road surface is going to be very cactus very soon.

In some places there are severe kinks in the "cage", so you will not be
able to stretch out and let go. I say "cage" because it looked to be
fenced both sides the entire length. Perhaps someone who has ridden it
can deny this. Hint, a few picnic table would have been nice, or even
places to rest and enjoy the scenery, stars, grass, etc.

I'll reserve my comments on the lighting until I can do a night ride. I
really prefer to provide my own lights on roadways as I find that most
street lighting ruins my night vision. The lighting looked like front
gate lighting to me. Anyway, will see if it is effective.

We saw six walkers and about 30+ bicyclist on the section we drove, so
it is getting used and bicylists are ranging from the local kids (Glen
wood lot), through family groups to keen ones riding the full length. We
called out to someone at the Prestons end as to where they had come from
and they replied "Eastwood" and they had ridden the full length.

The Prestons end of the recreational path is really a schmozzle atm. It
comes to an end at Camden Valley Way and instantly you are thrown into
the worst example of "bicycle dis-engineering" I've seen.

You cross Camden Valley Way with pedestrian lights and can take a very
dangerous (sharp metal protusions) and narrow (for pedestrians) concrete
foot path east/left towards Casula (bulk retail, Cross Roads Pub, Hunt's
Motel, or what looks to be a good coffee shop, but I'm yet to see 2
wheels outside it). If you are road confident, it is probably easier to
ride the road, but watch for lane changing vehicle here.

If you want to go right, then you will need to ride on the busy road
(confirm?) roadway. Alternatively, on the norther side, there is about
100 metres of foot path constructed zone, before a nice 2m wide foot
path starts. If it is finished to that standard, this will cater very
nicely for the family/kids riders.

We went up with a view of finding a place to park the vehicle to do the
ride as a routine off road ride. Unfortunately, there is no safe place.
Safe as in "easy and safe access".

You could park at the picnic tables ouside the Tree Valley Golf course,
(SW corner of intersection), but then you would have to ride a very busy
road to access the recreational bicycle path.

Given the "bicycle dis-engineering" on the SE corner, I am not surprised
that no intelligence was applied to the NW corner. The place is
basically McMansions arseing right up to the M7/M5/M? junction, but with
a mssive power line right through it. It would have been marvellous if
they have provided parking and a park under the powerlines.

Anyway, other feed back welcome.

[1] sunday drivers are generally fruit-cakes and Wendy was driving and
going "calm blue sea, calm blue sea, calm blue sea...." for a fair bit
of it. Hate to see it come morning peak.

I went out Wednesday to try the bike track, started at the Great
northern road end. Would much rather ride the track than the M7 proper.
Did 25k then turned around due to the heat (38+).
There is no water, only shade is in the underpasses. No real bad grades,
fairly boring (as is the main road). There seemed to be lots of places
where cyclists could go between the main road and the cycleway. They are
gated and marked something like cyclists only.
Parked in a residential street, no problems.

There seem to be plenty of access points for cyclists to the various
suburbs and it was well signposted.
Some of the lighting seemed to have been vandalised already!

--
Remove norubbish to reply

"Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> [...]
> ride as a routine off road ride. Unfortunately, there is no safe place.
> Safe as in "easy and safe access".
>
> You could park at the picnic tables ouside the Tree Valley Golf course,
> (SW corner of intersection), but then you would have to ride a very busy
> road to access the recreational bicycle path.
>
> Given the "bicycle dis-engineering" on the SE corner, I am not surprised
> that no intelligence was applied to the NW corner. The place is
> basically McMansions arseing right up to the M7/M5/M? junction, but with
> a mssive power line right through it. It would have been marvellous if
> they have provided parking and a park under the powerlines.
>

> Anyway, other feed back welcome.
>

> [1] sunday drivers are generally fruit-cakes and Wendy was driving and
> going "calm blue sea, calm blue sea, calm blue sea...." for a fair bit
> of it. Hate to see it come morning peak.

Over Christmas i rode the M5 then M7 in the shoulder lane from Padstow to
Eastern Creek and back. Outbound (west then north) at the Junction of the M5
and M7 i used the offroad cycleway that had an access point off one of the
flyover ramps, then went under the M7 then rejoined the shoulder lane. I
didn't really want to mess with the 2 lanes northbound at 100km/h although
with light traffic it wouldn't be much of problem.

I agree there was a fair amount of debris mainly glass and the odd tyre. To
be fair i saw a patrol ute picking up the larger pieces of rubbish etc both
times i went out. He even waved and smiled!!

The road proper has a fairly long climb from West Hoxton to Elizabeth Drive
(northbound). It is quite good however going downhill avg about 55km/h.

Saw quite a few riders on the offroad cycleway. I think some were suprised i
was using the road proper. All were quite friendly and cheerful.

I think the offroad cycleway will suffer from neglect. Some of the bits i
saw already had rubbish, silt from water crossings and one can imagine the
bitumen lifting/potholing/invaded by tree roots (not that there are many
trees) due to probable lack of maintenance (the cycleway doesn't make money
from tolls!)

Stats for my 2 rides:

Ride 1: Dist about 70km avg 26km/h avg ht rate 145 (solo)
Ride 2: Dist about 70km avg 28.9 avg ht rate 150 (with one mate urging me
up that long climb! then did turns return leg)

Cheers

Beanzy

Hi guys here is a link to another thread where people have discussed the M7.
You might be interested.

Daz

Hi guys here is a link to another thread where people have discussed the M7.
You might be interested.
www.cyclingforums.com/t307197-amyone-done-a-ride-in-m7-yet.html

Daz