Sydney -M7 and Bicycles

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Terry Collins, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. We went for a fruit-cake Sunday[1] drive along the M7 today (last free
    day) and some info since no one else has posted. Sadly 4 wheel based
    observation.

    If you are a roadie, serious trainer, like nice grades or a commuter,
    then you will just do the normal ride in the breakdown lane. The usual
    beware of bicyles sign posting is there (Well, Prestons to Old Windsor
    Rd) with bicycle crossing places etc.

    Are hand rails normal at these crossing places? Noted thatyou get a hand
    rail for balance when waiting to cross motor vehicle exit roads, but not
    MV entry roads.

    Northbound, the break down lane seemed to have a heavy load of re-tread
    rubber (some quite big strips too) for the southern half.

    South bound, it was isolated rubbish; including one small wheelie bin.
    Also seemed to more than the usual share of MV requiring assistance
    compared to othe M roads.

    The recreational shared bicycle/pedestrian path is very definitely
    "recreational". Grades are all over the place, including a few steep
    grunters. It is below, above, crosses under, crosses over the roadway
    all the time. It is also entirely separated from the motor vehicle area,
    so you can not easily change from one to the other.

    By the impressive size of the stailess steel crossings over the roadway,
    I suspect that this is really a combination service road, which means
    the road surface is going to be very cactus very soon.

    In some places there are severe kinks in the "cage", so you will not be
    able to stretch out and let go. I say "cage" because it looked to be
    fenced both sides the entire length. Perhaps someone who has ridden it
    can deny this. Hint, a few picnic table would have been nice, or even
    places to rest and enjoy the scenery, stars, grass, etc.

    I'll reserve my comments on the lighting until I can do a night ride. I
    really prefer to provide my own lights on roadways as I find that most
    street lighting ruins my night vision. The lighting looked like front
    gate lighting to me. Anyway, will see if it is effective.

    We saw six walkers and about 30+ bicyclist on the section we drove, so
    it is getting used and bicylists are ranging from the local kids (Glen
    wood lot), through family groups to keen ones riding the full length. We
    called out to someone at the Prestons end as to where they had come from
    and they replied "Eastwood" and they had ridden the full length.

    The Prestons end of the recreational path is really a schmozzle atm. It
    comes to an end at Camden Valley Way and instantly you are thrown into
    the worst example of "bicycle dis-engineering" I've seen.

    You cross Camden Valley Way with pedestrian lights and can take a very
    dangerous (sharp metal protusions) and narrow (for pedestrians) concrete
    foot path east/left towards Casula (bulk retail, Cross Roads Pub, Hunt's
    Motel, or what looks to be a good coffee shop, but I'm yet to see 2
    wheels outside it). If you are road confident, it is probably easier to
    ride the road, but watch for lane changing vehicle here.

    If you want to go right, then you will need to ride on the busy road
    (confirm?) roadway. Alternatively, on the norther side, there is about
    100 metres of foot path constructed zone, before a nice 2m wide foot
    path starts. If it is finished to that standard, this will cater very
    nicely for the family/kids riders.

    We went up with a view of finding a place to park the vehicle to do the
    ride as a routine off road ride. Unfortunately, there is no safe place.
    Safe as in "easy and safe access".

    You could park at the picnic tables ouside the Tree Valley Golf course,
    (SW corner of intersection), but then you would have to ride a very busy
    road to access the recreational bicycle path.

    Given the "bicycle dis-engineering" on the SE corner, I am not surprised
    that no intelligence was applied to the NW corner. The place is
    basically McMansions arseing right up to the M7/M5/M? junction, but with
    a mssive power line right through it. It would have been marvellous if
    they have provided parking and a park under the powerlines.

    Anyway, other feed back welcome.

    [1] sunday drivers are generally fruit-cakes and Wendy was driving and
    going "calm blue sea, calm blue sea, calm blue sea...." for a fair bit
    of it. Hate to see it come morning peak.

    Tags:

  2. Jack Russell

    Jack Russell Guest

    I went out Wednesday to try the bike track, started at the Great
    northern road end. Would much rather ride the track than the M7 proper.
    Did 25k then turned around due to the heat (38+).
    There is no water, only shade is in the underpasses. No real bad grades,
    fairly boring (as is the main road). There seemed to be lots of places
    where cyclists could go between the main road and the cycleway. They are
    gated and marked something like cyclists only.
    Parked in a residential street, no problems.

    There seem to be plenty of access points for cyclists to the various
    suburbs and it was well signposted.
    Some of the lighting seemed to have been vandalised already!

    --
    Remove norubbish to reply

  3. Beanzy

    Beanzy Guest

    "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]com.au...
> [...]
    > ride as a routine off road ride. Unfortunately, there is no safe place.
    > Safe as in "easy and safe access".
    >
    > You could park at the picnic tables ouside the Tree Valley Golf course,
    > (SW corner of intersection), but then you would have to ride a very busy
    > road to access the recreational bicycle path.
    >
    > Given the "bicycle dis-engineering" on the SE corner, I am not surprised
    > that no intelligence was applied to the NW corner. The place is
    > basically McMansions arseing right up to the M7/M5/M? junction, but with
    > a mssive power line right through it. It would have been marvellous if
    > they have provided parking and a park under the powerlines.
    >

    > Anyway, other feed back welcome.
    >

    > [1] sunday drivers are generally fruit-cakes and Wendy was driving and
    > going "calm blue sea, calm blue sea, calm blue sea...." for a fair bit
    > of it. Hate to see it come morning peak.

    Over Christmas i rode the M5 then M7 in the shoulder lane from Padstow to
    Eastern Creek and back. Outbound (west then north) at the Junction of the M5
    and M7 i used the offroad cycleway that had an access point off one of the
    flyover ramps, then went under the M7 then rejoined the shoulder lane. I
    didn't really want to mess with the 2 lanes northbound at 100km/h although
    with light traffic it wouldn't be much of problem.

    I agree there was a fair amount of debris mainly glass and the odd tyre. To
    be fair i saw a patrol ute picking up the larger pieces of rubbish etc both
    times i went out. He even waved and smiled!!

    The road proper has a fairly long climb from West Hoxton to Elizabeth Drive
    (northbound). It is quite good however going downhill avg about 55km/h.

    Saw quite a few riders on the offroad cycleway. I think some were suprised i
    was using the road proper. All were quite friendly and cheerful.

    I think the offroad cycleway will suffer from neglect. Some of the bits i
    saw already had rubbish, silt from water crossings and one can imagine the
    bitumen lifting/potholing/invaded by tree roots (not that there are many
    trees) due to probable lack of maintenance (the cycleway doesn't make money
    from tolls!)

    Stats for my 2 rides:

    Ride 1: Dist about 70km avg 26km/h avg ht rate 145 (solo)
    Ride 2: Dist about 70km avg 28.9 avg ht rate 150 (with one mate urging me
    up that long climb! then did turns return leg)

    Cheers

    Beanzy

  4. Daz1980

    Daz1980 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2004
    Hi guys here is a link to another thread where people have discussed the M7.
    You might be interested.

    Daz

  5. Daz1980

    Daz1980 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2004
    Hi guys here is a link to another thread where people have discussed the M7.
    You might be interested.
    www.cyclingforums.com/t307197-amyone-done-a-ride-in-m7-yet.html

    Daz

  6. scotty72