sydney-melbourne, avoiding hazards!

FunkyHakka said:
No, its not a troll. We have around 3 weeks in hand around christmas to do the trip. Yes I know its around 1000km. We can both average around 20kmh without much of a problem just that we had never gone on a long journey before. we are planning to cover around 60-100k/day to make it in around 15 days. How do u mean by better prepared? That's why I've come here to ask experienced people like urself what other preparations are needed. Thanks

Victor

Sorry if I've misread your post. When you wrote that you planned on carrying food for only 2 days I thought that was a bit unrealistic
:eek:

Scenic, safe or doesn't involve too many hills? Take your pick!

I would realy reccomend that you start doing some overnight/weekend rides first to build up your experience. Too many issues to address.

Regards, Anthony

FunkyHakka said:
No, its not a troll. We have around 3 weeks in hand around christmas to do the trip. Yes I know its around 1000km. We can both average around 20kmh without much of a problem just that we had never gone on a long journey before. we are planning to cover around 60-100k/day to make it in around 15 days. How do u mean by better prepared? That's why I've come here to ask experienced people like urself what other preparations are needed. Thanks

Victor
You can definitely do it in three weeks. The route I followed some years ago was ~1300km, which we completed fully laden in 14 days of cycling, 17days altogether. We started out managing 60km/day and ended up doing 135km/day (although the earlier days were much hillier than the later days). Just take it easy in the first 3-4 days and, dare I say it, look after your "seat contact areas". My GF and I had nasty saddle sores after 4 days. "Curash" powder is VERY good. I've never tried "chamois butter" type creams - they may be effective. Use good knicks and comfortable, well-fitting saddles. Carry, and drink, plenty of water as you will have some very hot days.

Thanks for the advice guys, yeah we are planning to do some trial run after our exams from 'UNSW' to 'The Blue Mountains' which is around 60-65 kms. What I meant by carrying food for 2 days is so we can stock up once we reached certain towns. For the trip, I'd pick scenic then safety and finally not too many hills in that order of preference. We are planning to put up an advert so other students can join in as well :) Cheers.

Victor