Sydney riding experience

absolutely agree with you art

i think that syd does produce homicidal drivers

when you have a pc rta that refuses to take issues headon or even softly softly you do begin to wonder

councils will do whatever they can if the public screams loud enough

i think that as long as we lobby and turn up to voice our opinion then we will get heard...

cool points though art

i think though pgando has problems with fijian volvo drivers

im not sure if the fijian community would be seen in volvos................

well im not sure if i should be offended or not ............................

>)

Spot on Jeytown. The final onus ultimately lies with the rider to improve their visibility to others. Since moving to Syd I wear primarily light colours and keep the tail light flashing. The accident I had a week or so back was in the middle of a blue sky day when a backseat passenger flung the back door open without first looking as they came to a stop at a set of lights. For them, luckily I was not on a motorbike. Unfortunately for me I had to get a finger re-attached and now have to look around for a new bike (not all that bad really although getting full hand use back will take time).
As far as I am concerned I did everything right..the right colours, travelling on the right part of the road at appropriate speeds.....It was just one of those things.
Unfortunately fluoro jocks and a witches hat on the head won't do much in circumstances where cars insist on overtaking without allowing for any "room for error" on the cyclists behalf. By that I mean sudden moves to say perhaps avoid a pothole on spotted at the last minute, avoiding a wheel hungry grate or even swerving around a accident ahead.

All I want, and get this for ridiculous simplicity, is to feel and know that if I need to suddenly swerve that the commuters around me (and you can include other riders in this) have allowed for that "room for error".

Call it respect, call it courtesy, call it a pain in the ass but whatever allows you to get home to your family is a must....

Jeytown said:
it seems
that pgando

has gone silent on the issue

i and (people will dissagree) feel that when you are on the road that you act and dress accordingly

ie. wear reflective vests
have lights
all the safety gear

so what you dont look cool you stay alive i have seen many cars and everyone else pay more attention (for the safe reasons of course )dressed like a bad looking road worker than when i look a bad tdf impersonator

i am not sayin that this occours with pgando or anyone else however most road riders dont dress like they deserve attention and i believe that is 85 % of the problem when it comes to road conflict if your dressed like tdf

then expect some resentment from cars becasue plain and simply

they cant see you

look at motorcycles in NSW up until recently it was a regulation that the front light be always hardwired on

why because of visual problems with cars and the like along with other issues

i believe cyclists are in this category and once we adopt a more safer approach conflicts will be less of an occourance

once again you can never predict accidents and they arent good to be in

but if you act safe you will be safe

remember it was only a few weeks ago that CFSMTB said that cyclists were getting booked for not wearing the correct gear on there bikes in (wait for it )

MELBOURNE

bicycle vic , bicycle nsw , bicycle iraq, bicycle anywhere

whatever

their only advisory committees to the state road authority if you want action in your area

it starts with you

that i guess will be all i will add to this debate over the long skinngy between melb and syd

now after that rant im going to get a horlicks

once again the views expressed here are not necessarily he views of the cyclists of nsw

no offence just my view

democracy and all that

cheers

Guys, save your energy for the Authorities. Everyone agrees that conditions should be better.

Pgando, what are you going to do about riding while you are living in Sydney?

Focus on pre-dawn rides. Stick towards the front of packs. Plenty of national park work and search out new rider friendly routes like some of the ones suggested above.

mikesbytes said:
Guys, save your energy for the Authorities. Everyone agrees that conditions should be better.

Pgando, what are you going to do about riding while you are living in Sydney?

Let me know of you find any rides/routes you like
smile.gif

once again

mike a voice of reason in uncertain times

peace again comes to all the little elves

see you guys on the road

no where did i put those bloody fluro jocks ???

cheers all
smile.gif

Jeytown said:
so i believe if we build a bridge big enough ...........................................
Bloody Sydneysiders - always going on about their bridge!

nitrous said:
Bloody Sydneysiders - always going on about their bridge!
I saw this article on a bike ferry underneath that bridge of yours over the port. Is there no bicycle and walking facilities? When I lived in Auckland, it sucked that you couldn't ride over the Auckland Harbour Bridge.

mikesbytes said:
I saw this article on a bike ferry underneath that bridge of yours over the port. Is there no bicycle and walking facilities? When I lived in Auckland, it sucked that you couldn't ride over the Auckland Harbour Bridge.
That's right, no bikes, no stopping! Once a year for the Around the Bay in a Day they open it up for bikes

Hi Pgando, how is your hand healing? Did you find any rides that you were a bit more confortable with?

Thanks for asking. Had a wire removed yesterday so making progress. Not ready to hit the road yet but have borrowed a wind trainer that I'll try to start using in the next day or so. Like Nitrous above, getting fired up for Around the Bay.....
Hope to be doing Waterfall within the month.
mikesbytes said:
Hi Pgando, how is your hand healing? Did you find any rides that you were a bit more confortable with?