Sydney suburban cycle routes (road bike)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Stuart, May 11, 2003.

  1. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Any suggestions on links and/or books?

    Have found some info on the RTA site (not too bad) and David Noble's site, but apart from that
    info seems to be rather thin on the ground. One book in Clarenece St Cyclery had bugger all
    (about 5 rides).

    I am specifically interested in dedicated cycleways (preferably) or at least routes that are
    considered relatively safe if they involve riding on public roads.

    Many Thanks Stuart

    Tags:

  2. Malcom

    Malcom New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    Hi Stuart
    Try Bikenorths website. http://www.bikenorth.org.au/
    They have a heap of Sydney bike runs listed. You don't have to be a member to join in.

  3. Ritch

    Ritch Guest

    The RTA map is quite good. I live in Gladesville - there is a well-signed path that takes you all
    the way to Parramatta, mostly paths and quiet streets. I believe it is marked on the RTA map (it's
    also in the street directory).

    Ritch

    "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Any suggestions on links and/or books?
    >
    > Have found some info on the RTA site (not too bad) and David Noble's site, but apart from that
    > info seems to be rather thin on the ground. One book in Clarenece St Cyclery had bugger all (about
    > 5 rides).
    >
    > I am specifically interested in dedicated cycleways (preferably) or at least routes that are
    > considered relatively safe if they involve riding on public roads.
    >
    > Many Thanks Stuart

  4. Col Jones

    Col Jones Guest

    Where do you live and do you want to cycle around or go from point A to point B? There was a Bicycle
    NSW publication with about 25 rides and there may be some left. RTA has some (but rally should re-do
    the parrammatta river ride, the cooks river/ By to Bay and Botany bay Maps. Your local council "may"
    have a bike plan and a local map associated with it.

    Join your local Bicycle user group (BUG) and Bicycle NSW (9283 5200) and get expert help.

    Cheers

    Col

    On Mon, 12 May 2003 14:19:41 +1000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Any suggestions on links and/or books?
    >
    >Have found some info on the RTA site (not too bad) and David Noble's site, but apart from that
    >info seems to be rather thin on the ground. One book in Clarenece St Cyclery had bugger all (about
    >5 rides).
    >
    >I am specifically interested in dedicated cycleways (preferably) or at least routes that are
    >considered relatively safe if they involve riding on public roads.
    >
    >Many Thanks Stuart

  5. Scott Howard

    Scott Howard Guest

    Stuart <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Any suggestions on links and/or books?
    >
    > Have found some info on the RTA site (not too bad) and David Noble's site, but apart from that
    > info seems to be rather thin on the ground. One book in Clarenece St Cyclery had bugger all (about
    > 5 rides).

    Go into your local RTA and get a copy of the dead-tree version of their maps - far better than
    trying to read them on a computer screen.

    If you're interested in inner-city, buy a copy of Bruce Ashley's book, available from cycleshops or
    bookshops, or from http://www.bike-it.com.au

    Scott

  6. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Hi Col,

    I live near Chatswood and am happy to do "circular" or point to point rides. Makes it easier if the
    rides are near train stations though.

    Cheers Stuart

    "Col Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Where do you live and do you want to cycle around or go from point A to point B? There was a
    > Bicycle NSW publication with about 25 rides and there may be some left. RTA has some (but rally
    > should re-do the parrammatta river ride, the cooks river/ By to Bay and Botany bay Maps. Your
    > local council "may" have a bike plan and a local map associated with it.
    >
    > Join your local Bicycle user group (BUG) and Bicycle NSW (9283 5200) and get expert help.
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Col
    >

    > On Mon, 12 May 2003 14:19:41 +1000, "Stuart" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Any suggestions on links and/or books?
    > >
    > >Have found some info on the RTA site (not too bad) and David Noble's
    site,
    > >but apart from that info seems to be rather thin on the ground. One book
    in
    > >Clarenece St Cyclery had bugger all (about 5 rides).
    > >
    > >I am specifically interested in dedicated cycleways (preferably) or at
    least
    > >routes that are considered relatively safe if they involve riding on
    public
    > >roads.
    > >
    > >Many Thanks Stuart

  7. Twisties

    Twisties New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    you should try riding in homebush bay where the olympics were.

    there is a train station, the streets are pretty much dead,
    there are long flat roads, and there are plenty of different tracks so you can go on a different ride each week.

  8. Col Jones

    Col Jones Guest

    bICYCLE nsw IS HAVING A BIG SALE in JUNE and everything (prettywell) is getting sold including
    copies of Bruce Ashley's Bike-it. If you slip into BNSW during the sale you can buy a book, maybe
    a copy of the Telstra guide to cycling in Sydney, maybe pinch an RTA map, a Willoughby council
    map, a brochure on bike North, and buy some limitted edition BNSW cycling socks. Ring em up at
    Bicycle NSW (9283
    5200).

    The maps of the Olympic site are now getting a little long in the tooth and you might be
    better off (in the short term) down loading the map from
    http://www.rotarnet.com.au/users/9/96933/bike2003/course.htm as it packs a lot into 30km
    around the site.

    cheers

    Col