Sydney to the Gong

LeojVS

Sep 27, 2005
Whos riding this year, whos in a team and whos not. Who wants to join one, and who needs people to join?

Did a search, and no syd to gong turned up???

I would elaborate a bit on the post, but im cookin dinner :)

LeojVS said:
Whos riding this year, whos in a team and whos not. Who wants to join one, and who needs people to join?

Try http://www.gongride.org.au/

Currently we are doing the ride, not in a team, don't want to join one, don't need people to join one.

We will be bringing up the rear. :p

LeojVS said:
never done it but am seriously considering. I normally ride solo but would be happy to have someone to chat with either at the start, the finish or somewhere along the way. Not sure what being in a team involves and I wouldn't want to let anyone down if I didn't meet expectations.

I'm actually thinking about driving the course in a couple of weeks just to get an idea of the hills. My 'normal' ride is 72km (about 2 hrs 45 mins) so I think I can stretch to the 90 but I may slack out and do the 56 for my first attempt.

// kak

Oh, I already have the link thanks!

Ha, yeah, my ride is nearly 50 kays, so 90 will be good. I do the occasioial 100, but time is not on my side. Yeah, I will be going solo (dinner was yummy too) but I am always up or a chat when hils get tough!!

" Currently we are doing the ride, not in a team, don't want to join one, don't need people to join one.

We will be bringing up the rear. :p"

Nice plan!

kakman - 72km in less than 3hours? It would take me 3 hours (at the minimum), to cover that distance.
Last year, while on cycle Queensland I managed to ride 106Km one day, and that included a head wind for part of the way. Even some roadie's thought it wasn't a easy ride. That day I spent 6 and a bit hours in the saddle, my legs sure felt the effects the next day.
90Km should be no trouble for you.

enzed said:
kakman - 72km in less than 3hours? It would take me 3 hours (at the minimum), to cover that distance.
Last year, while on cycle Queensland I managed to ride 106Km one day, and that included a head wind for part of the way. Even some roadie's thought it wasn't a easy ride. That day I spent 6 and a bit hours in the saddle, my legs sure felt the effects the next day.
90Km should be no trouble for you.
I'm more worried about the hills and wind than the distance. If it's really windy I might just duck behind matagi for a break;)

My 72km ride is Georges Hall to Prospect, then to the M7 at Eastern Creek, M7 to Prestons, M5 to Padstow and then return to Georges Hall. There's a few longish hills on the M7 but nothing really severe. I'd just hate to get halfway to the Gong and die going up a hill.

BTW, if I spent 6 hours on a bike it wouldn't be my legs bothering me:D

//kak

kakman said:
I'm more worried about the hills and wind than the distance. If it's really windy I might just duck behind matagi for a break;)
:D

matagi.jpg

kakman said:
never done it but am seriously considering. I normally ride solo but would be happy to have someone to chat with either at the start, the finish or somewhere along the way. Not sure what being in a team involves and I wouldn't want to let anyone down if I didn't meet expectations.

I'm actually thinking about driving the course in a couple of weeks just to get an idea of the hills. My 'normal' ride is 72km (about 2 hrs 45 mins) so I think I can stretch to the 90 but I may slack out and do the 56 for my first attempt.

// kak
If you can do 72k in 2 3/4 hours, then you might as well do the full 90.

LeojVS said:

How fast will you be riding it in?

kakman, the hills & the wind aren't so bad, if you've got someone to keep you company.
That's how I managed to complete that long hard day in the saddle. I just happened to meet a hybrid cyclist on the road, during the previous days riding, riding at my speed.
The day of the long ride, I happened to see him again on the road, on the way to morning tea. We decided to ride the rest of the way together.
That helped us to keep up a steady (though not necessarily fast) pace throughout the day. By having the company, the ride was kind of enjoyable & I actually have some good memories of the day.:)

Group rides are great fun, as fellow cyclists give you the motivation to keep going & not give up. It's easy to find people to ride with in mass rides, and it makes the time go faster.

90Km is quite doable, if you've got good company to share the ride with.

Hmm.....I think the position of "only gay in the forum" may shortly be vacant. ;)

mikesbytes said:
How fast will you be riding it in?
as fast as my lil legs will take me! I dont know how long. Under 4 will be nice.

pieroI will be there

first timer, and going with couple of friends too

we form a team
http://register.gongride.org.au/?Team+Newbie

anyone welcome to join in. and we did some fund raising this year.

cool. Sounds good. Might join on in

LeojVS said:
as fast as my lil legs will take me! I dont know how long. Under 4 will be nice.

pieroI will be there

first timer, and going with couple of friends too

we form a team
http://register.gongride.org.au/?Team+Newbie

anyone welcome to join in. and we did some fund raising this year.

How long does it take you to ride to work and how far is it?

A change of topic.
Just for fun, I went and checked out the transport option for the gong Ride. It clearly states that no bikes are allowed to be carried on STA buses.

So I looked up the STA Transport Info line webpage , which says the following.

"STA Buses / Private Buses: Only wheelchair accessible buses may allow the carriage of bicycles. Bus Operators will use their discretion to assess whether bikes can be safely transported on the Bus. The Operator must consider the safety off all passengers when making this determination. Bus Operators have the right to refuse entry if the safety of other passengers is put at rick by bikes. To avoid injury to other passengers, customers must ensure the bus aisle is kept free from trip hazards. Customers must secure their bikes in the wheelchair areas on boarding the vehicle.

As I live on the Northern beaches & have no car, I'm not about to ride 20Km into the city, catch a train to St Peter's & all before 8am. I plan to try out the bus option. I mean, there's hardly going anybody on the buses, that early, on a Sunday morning. The driver won't be able say, that I'm putting any passengers at risk.

As anybody ever tried their luck with getting their bike on a city bus? It's very well if you live near a train line, but some of us don't have that luxury.

LeojVS said:
Yeah :D

Please join our team! We don't wanna play solo there, right? should be good if we got accompany to go along the way! ;)

btw, I am doing some practice training on the M7 at the moment, usual we go on Sat morning, so if you are interested, please let me know and we can make sure we are fit enough for all the climbs.

Night_owl said:
A change of topic.
Just for fun, I went and checked out the transport option for the gong Ride. It clearly states that no bikes are allowed to be carried on STA buses.

So I looked up the STA Transport Info line webpage , which says the following.

"STA Buses / Private Buses: Only wheelchair accessible buses may allow the carriage of bicycles. Bus Operators will use their discretion to assess whether bikes can be safely transported on the Bus. The Operator must consider the safety off all passengers when making this determination. Bus Operators have the right to refuse entry if the safety of other passengers is put at rick by bikes. To avoid injury to other passengers, customers must ensure the bus aisle is kept free from trip hazards. Customers must secure their bikes in the wheelchair areas on boarding the vehicle.

As I live on the Northern beaches & have no car, I'm not about to ride 20Km into the city, catch a train to St Peter's & all before 8am. I plan to try out the bus option. I mean, there's hardly going anybody on the buses, that early, on a Sunday morning. The driver won't be able say, that I'm putting any passengers at risk.

As anybody ever tried their luck with getting their bike on a city bus? It's very well if you live near a train line, but some of us don't have that luxury.
Personally I would ride all the way there. After Spit bridge, theres a small hill and then its pretty much down hill all the way to St Peters.

Why don't you drive to a train staiton, some where on the northern line.

I suppose I could ride all the way. it's just that I'd have to get up extra early to make it, and I'm not always the best morning person. Driving is not an option, as I live in a no-car household. I suppose I could ride out to Chatswood via Roseville Bridge & see what trains are heading south.

The point about the buses, is that bikes can be allowed, and the MS Syd to Gong webpage got it wrong. Most cyclists are unaware of this rule, but during off-peak hours I don't see why I can't give it a go.

Sometimes I think it would be less of a hassle to live nearer to the city, but if i did i couldn't get to ride to Manly beach all the time (which is one of my fav places).

mikesbytes said:
Personally I would ride all the way there. After Spit bridge, theres a small hill and then its pretty much down hill all the way to St Peters.

Why don't you drive to a train staiton, some where on the northern line.
The hill after spit bridge is not SMALL!!! :p