Sydney to the Gong

Night_owl said:
The point about the buses, is that bikes can be allowed, and the MS Syd to Gong webpage got it wrong. Most cyclists are unaware of this rule, but during off-peak hours I don't see why I can't give it a go.

Sometimes I think it would be less of a hassle to live nearer to the city, but if i did i couldn't get to ride to Manly beach all the time (which is one of my fav places).
How about taking the two wheels off and velcro strap the parts into a smaller package and carry it onto the bus? Alternatively, ferry from Manly and then either a short ride with all the other cyclists or train to St Peters? ;)

sogood said:
The hill after spit bridge is not SMALL!!! :p
I rode up it with the club 2 saturdays ago, and I had to wait ages for them to arrive.

It fairly long, but only medium steepness.

Mr888 would eat it.

piero said:
btw, I am doing some practice training on the M7 at the moment, usual we go on Sat morning, so if you are interested, please let me know and we can make sure we are fit enough for all the climbs.

You guys keep talking about the 'climbs' in this years Syd to Gong ride. I'm confused. Over the last I think 3 years the ride has turned into the Royal National Park at Waterfall and headed back to Sutherland. Once you are in the park on that route there are 3 significant climbs between Waterfall and Audley (St Peters to Waterfall is basically flat).

This year the ride goes into the Park at Waterfall but heads South towards Stanwell. There is a smallish climb between Waterfall and Stanwell, though the road is 'rolling'. Past Stanwell there is a small climb as you head towards Coalcliff, but generally the road is pretty flat. Well ok a little rolling maybe. So basically only one climb of any significance!

Am I missing something here?

--brett

fauxpas said:
:D

matagi.jpg
Can I be on Matagi's team? Please? Pretty Please?

Does anyone here have the exact route the Gong Ride takes?

I can't remember all the twists and turns (esp around Kyeema) and the Gong end (as it has been a while since it has really been a Gong Ride.

Either a cue sheet or Google Maps / Earth file would be great?

Scotty

About the Manly Ferry, the first sailing on a Sunday isn't to at least 8am.
To go any group rides based near the city, I have no choice but to go via Parriwi Rd, & while it isn't a hard hill to climb, it'll be nice if I had more options.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have at least a 20Km ride on the morning of the Gong, then I'll be riding the 90Km. At least, on the way home, I can take the Manly Ferry & then it'll only a 8Km ride home.
It'll be a long day in the saddle, with at least 118Km to cover.Here's hoping there aren't too many hills.

I suppose there's one good thing about living in the Northern beaches, there's no shortage of hills to train on. One good hill training ride is Churchpoint/Akuna Bay/Cottage Point/Church Point. I just hope the gong ride has no hills as steep as those.

mikesbytes said:
I rode up it with the club 2 saturdays ago, and I had to wait ages for them to arrive.

It fairly long, but only medium steepness.
Gosh, can't keep up with you if you keep sprinting off like a rabbit! :p

sideshow_bob said:
You guys keep talking about the 'climbs' in this years Syd to Gong ride. I'm confused. Over the last I think 3 years the ride has turned into the Royal National Park at Waterfall and headed back to Sutherland. Once you are in the park on that route there are 3 significant climbs between Waterfall and Audley (St Peters to Waterfall is basically flat)... So basically only one climb of any significance!
Are you sure that single "climb" isn't just a pile of dirt some kids built up on a down-hill run? Maybe there's really no climbs anywhere... :eek:

That's it, I am going to bring my GPS and record the whole track, elevations and all.

Night_owl said:
About the Manly Ferry, the first sailing on a Sunday isn't to at least 8am.
To go any group rides based near the city, I have no choice to go via Parriwi Rd, & while it isn't a hard hill to climb, it'll be nice if I had more options.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have at least a 20Km ride on the morning of the Gong, then I'll be riding the 90Km. At least, on the way home, I can take the Manly Ferry & then it'll only a 8Km ride home.
It'll be a long day in the saddle, with at least 118Km to cover.Here's hoping there aren't too many hills.

I suppose there's one good thing about living in the Northern beaches, there's no shortage of hills to train on. One good hill training ride is Churchpoint/Akuna Bay/Cottage Point/Church Point. I just hope the gong ride has no hills as steep as those.
If you can do McCarrs Creek Road and out to West Head then, you'll eat up anything the Gogn Ride can throw at you. :)

scotty72 said:
If you can do McCarrs Creek Road and out to West Head then, you'll eat up anything the Gogn Ride can throw at you. :)
Thanks for that. The akuna bay loop is one of my harder rides. But my Trek Fx & I can make those hills, with the help of my granny gears. Usually I tend to ride on Pittwater Rd & do loops of North Head - in an attempt to keep hill climbing to a minimum.

Already I have had two teams in the Sydney to the Gong Bike Ride ask me to join their team.

Before the Sydney to Gong Bike Ride I am going to ride the Sydney Spring Cycle

Today I rode 87.21Km, so 90km should be no trouble.
I rode McCarrs Creak Rd, and all the way up to North Head.

mikesbytes said:
How long does it take you to ride to work and how far is it?
hey chief. Work is 50 kay each way, and takes me avg 1hr and 45 each way. There are a few steeep hills, and a few long moderate climbs ( well moderate for me )

As for hill training, I might just ride from Emu Plains to Springwood/Woodford and back a few times. Lapston hill seperates men from kids......

LeojVS said:
hey chief. Work is 50 kay each way, and takes me avg 1hr and 45 each way. There are a few steeep hills, and a few long moderate climbs ( well moderate for me )

As for hill training, I might just ride from Emu Plains to Springwood/Woodford and back a few times. Lapston hill seperates men from kids......
28.5kmh average on daily commute. Mate, your be doing at least 32kmh on the Gong ride and will probaby clock in around 2hours 45minutes. Start the gong ride at 6am or 6.15am when the racing riders go out, you will be able to keep up.

LeojVS said:

thats a great hill, i've found sometimes the cars through there can be a bit scary. i like riding the hill to glenbrook, then doing laps in and out of glenbrook gorge.

--brett

mikesbytes said:
28.5kmh average on daily commute. Mate, your be doing at least 32kmh on the Gong ride and will probaby clock in around 2hours 45minutes. Start the gong ride at 6am or 6.15am when the racing riders go out, you will be able to keep up.
Good lord! can you imagine what time I would have to get up??!!! :eek: :eek:

i like the idea of being able to ride with the racers. On some trips to work, I average 34.5km/h, but I usually sit on 28-30. I have a 10 hour shift to do after that :(

LeojVS said:
Good lord! can you imagine what time I would have to get up??!!! :eek: :eek:

i like the idea of being able to ride with the racers. On some trips to work, I average 34.5km/h, but I usually sit on 28-30. I have a 10 hour shift to do after that :(
I understand that first time riders are not permitted to start before 7am. 6:15-7am start are for riders who has participated and did it under 4hrs or better... According to the official web site.

Bugger, my buddy has just found out that he can't make it to this ride due to work commitments. I think I'll need to join a group or someone for this ride. Better still, someone in Balmain/Birchgrove who might be interested in some weekend preparations together. :rolleyes:

sogood said:
I understand that first time riders are not permitted to start before 7am. 6:15-7am start are for riders who has participated and did it under 4hrs or better... According to the official web site.
Great! thats an extra hour in bed :D :D

sogood said:

Bugger, my buddy has just found out that he can't make it to this ride due to work commitments. I think I'll need to join a group or someone for this ride. Better still, someone in Balmain/Birchgrove who might be interested in some weekend preparations together. :rolleyes:
This is not true, if you, a first time rider select the under 3 hours estimate, they will schedule you to start at 6.30am. BUT its not enforced, so just turn up at the time you want to start at.

Sounds good. Obviously earlier the better given the cooler temperature and sun's position. :rolleyes: