Sydney to the Gong

Getting wet is OK... its the slipping over and the road rash I don't like the thought of. And here is the latest from our friends at the BOM on the subject of coastal winds:

Sunday Outlook: Wind: SW/SE 15/25 knots.

:eek: NICE!

Would it be too much to ask the God of Cycling for a nice day?

Does anyone know whether Cityrail provides FREE train service to St Peters? (similar to Spring Cycle)

Technik said:
Does anyone know whether Cityrail provides FREE train service to St Peters? (similar to Spring Cycle)
I asked a similar question earlier and the answer is NO.

Apparently the train ticket back from Wollongong is $9. So make sure you have some cash with you.

46kgToDate said:
Getting wet is OK... its the slipping over and the road rash I don't like the thought of. And here is the latest from our friends at the BOM on the subject of coastal winds:

Sunday Outlook: Wind: SW/SE 15/25 knots.
Who cares about the wind. Just find matagi and tuck behind... ;)

Road rash, no thanks. My rash from Spring Cycles has only just resolved.

Okay, it's tomorrow and the BOM's latest forecast is RAIN! :(

I have a few final questions,

1) Apart from a rain jacket, is it worthwhile to get additional rain gear for these long rides in the rain? Pants/shoe covers?

2) Anyone know if there are bike minding services there? Or else without carrying locks, how would one leave one's bike to go for a toilet break or other activities?

sogood said:
Who cares about the wind. Just find matagi and tuck behind... ;)
Unfortunately you won't be able to do that - having looked at the forecast for tomorrow, prudence dictates that the last thing I want to be doing is riding on a strange road with a bunch of people of widely differing skills while it is raining.

So unless there is a dramatic change in the forecast in the next 20 hours or so, MrM and I are officially bailing out. We'll probably go for a gentle pootle up here, where there are only the two of us and we are initimately acquainted with the characteristics of the road when wet.

matagi said:
Unfortunately you won't be able to do that - having looked at the forecast for tomorrow, prudence dictates that the last thing I want to be doing is riding on a strange road with a bunch of people of widely differing skills while it is raining.

So unless there is a dramatic change in the forecast in the next 20 hours or so, MrM and I are officially bailing out. We'll probably go for a gentle pootle up here, where there are only the two of us and we are initimately acquainted with the characteristics of the road when wet.
Oh, What a wimp!

:)

Scotty

sogood said:
Okay, it's tomorrow and the BOM's latest forecast is RAIN! :(

I have a few final questions,

1) Apart from a rain jacket, is it worthwhile to get additional rain gear for these long rides in the rain? Pants/shoe covers?

2) Anyone know if there are bike minding services there? Or else without carrying locks, how would one leave one's bike to go for a toilet break or other activities?
I use http://www.abc.net.au/illawarra/weather/ (Scroll down to the bottom to see both Sydney and Wollongong) to show me the forecast but BOM etc are not too accurate, originally there were thunderstorms predicted but now it looks a little better. The wind is still a worry, from the South. Had a ride this morning and I would hope that the weather is on the up and up and the rain has passed.

I think that if it does shower/rain, I will just get wet, rain jackets make me overheat, I plan to put a change of clothes in the backpack for the finish. Besides gentle spring rain on the humid coast is better than what we get out here in the central west. Temperatures should be tolerable.

I'm still in 2 minds as to taking the bike lock on the ride. Other guys think that there will be so many bikes around and that bike security may not be a problem but if you have a flash treadly then for a bit of piece of mind it may be worth carrying a lock on the trip.

My 0.02c worth.

Wind coming up from the south at 39km/h... Ok, for the difference b/n that and the cruising speed of 30km/h, we should all be back at the start line in 10 hrs (9km/h for 10 hrs). :D

Forecast for Sunday
Rain periods. Moderate to fresh south to southeast winds.
Precis: Rain periods.

City: Min: 16 Max: 20 Parramatta: Min: 14 Max: 20Terrey Hills: Min: 15 Max: 18 Penrith: Min: 13 Max: 20Liverpool: Min: 13 Max: 20 Richmond: Min: 12 Max: 20 UV Index: 10 [Very High]
Definitely gonna RAIN tomorrow, I just went to my local Rebel bought myself a rain jacket!!

Regardless whether it is hail or thunderstorm, see you all tomorrow!

I rode down to Waterfall this morning and back via the National Park.

I'd make the following comments. During the ride the rain will be the least of your problems. You will ride into the teeth of the wind pretty much the entire way down. I had a few strong gusts that wobbled me. So if your amongst lots of people, make sure you give yourself a little extra space (left/right). Similarly give yourself a little extra room from the rider in front. Forget the draft instead give yourself room to pull up if there is an incident in front.

I rode today in shorts, a defeet undervest, short sleeved jersey and arm warmers. For me that was somewhere beteen right and a little too warm. I got pretty cold though on the warm down and my legs got a little stiff. So I'd suggest forgetting the style factor, put some dry (and warm) clothes and a towel in a plastic bag, put that in a backpack and ride with it. I got home covered in road grime, the towel is to wipe it off, so I'd suggest not taking one of your wifes good white ones, that'll end up black.

Finally take it easy on the descent from Waterfall. Even if it seems dry the road is very shaded and could stay wet for a long time, and a few corners are off camber. Same for the descent from Stanwell tops. Other than that it's pretty straight riding.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
I rode down to Waterfall this morning and back via the National Park.

I'd make the following comments. During the ride the rain will be the least of your problems. You will ride into the teeth of the wind pretty much the entire way down. I had a few strong gusts that wobbled me. So if your amongst lots of people, make sure you give yourself a little extra space (left/right). Similarly give yourself a little extra room from the rider in front. Forget the draft instead give yourself room to pull up if there is an incident in front.

I rode today in shorts, a defeet undervest, short sleeved jersey and arm warmers. For me that was somewhere beteen right and a little too warm. I got pretty cold though on the warm down and my legs got a little stiff. So I'd suggest forgetting the style factor, put some dry (and warm) clothes and a towel in a plastic bag, put that in a backpack and ride with it. I got home covered in road grime, the towel is to wipe it off, so I'd suggest not taking one of your wifes good white ones, that'll end up black.

Finally take it easy on the descent from Waterfall. Even if it seems dry the road is very shaded and could stay wet for a long time, and a few corners are off camber. Same for the descent from Stanwell tops. Other than that it's pretty straight riding.

--brett
Thanks for the intel. There is also a wind warning for the area :mad:
http://www.bom.gov.au/cgi-bin/wrap_fwo.pl?IDN20100.html

"official" BOM Forecast
http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDN10061.shtml#ILL

I still want to do it, thanks for helping me prepare.

Second that. Thanks for the pre-ride on location report from Sideshow_Bob. It's very helpful, especially the safety aspect as well as the correct amount of clothing.

See you all en-route tomorrow!

holy **** - predicted 37 kph at 9.00am! At least the hills might shield us from the wind :)

I'm just gonna go real easy and try and be patient - especially on the hills (both up and down) - no desire to end up sprawled over a wet hard road. My wife's driving down and she can take a change of clothes and towel etc. I have a lightweight gore-tex jacket which seems like the choice given the forecast.

Given the poor forecast, numbers might fall off a bit making it a bit less risky from a crowd perspective.

Not the perfect conditions for my first gong ride but good luck everyone - have a safe trip.

// kak

Normally I bail in the wet

but heck

I've been training for this since Feb this year
so I'm going even if it kills me ....:eek:

PS had pasta tonight - nice
haven't had pasta for so long + a beer with it.
I like this carb loading idea.

And tomorrow, if I make it, I'll open a bottle of the good stuff.

That's the spirit!

$50 down the drain, all the bike mods, all the training, all the expectation... Well, I'm on even with this virus I've picked up from my son. Just come and find me if anyone wants a Panadeine or Sudafed. I'll be dosed up on it.

BTW, I'll be on my Bianchi in full celeste colour with black Mavic wheels. I'll wear my red jersey or the yellow rain gear. Give me a yell and give me some draft.

Ride safe everyone! :)

got home about 2 hrs ago, took me freaking 5 hrs to finish! the bloody wind :mad: , I found the hardest part of the last leg, my bike wasn't going anywhere, felt like going backward.

Overall, had an enjoyable day despite the windy weather. :)

tell you what, i felt stufed at the 70 kaymark.
took me 3 hrs 35 mins, and tell you what, a hot bath has never been so great!
Wasnt the wind shocking!! I didnt rate the 13km/h crawl for the first 5 kays or more. Same at Heathcote. Took me forever to get my avg up. end o the day it was...
avg; 24.1
time; 3.35:32
max; 63
skids down controlled desents, with back end trying to lead the way; 2

Now, a wine will be with dinner, followed by a cigar. Only dilemma, which one??