Symmetrical cartridge bottom brackets - besides Phil

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bruce Lange, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bruce Lange

    Bruce Lange Guest

    Does anybody know which standard-taper cartridge bottom brackets, other (cheaper) than Phil Wood,
    are symmetrical?

    I have in front of me a 68x115 Shimano UN-72 that is clearly symmetrical or very, very close
    (within 1 mm).

    But I've seen many UN-(52,53,72,73) bottom brackets that clearly have a right side offset. Are
    certain lengths symmetrical while others are not? Does anybody have a chart that lists offsets? What
    about Race-Face and other "aftermarket" bottom brackets?

    I know Campy makes some, and that wouldn't be a problem except that I want to use a 130 BCD crank
    for the intended application.

    Thanks in advance,

    Bruce

    Tags:

  2. TA? Go to the Peter White site (www.peterwhitecycles.com) and check out his write up on the TA BBs
    and others, including photos and data. Dave "Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...

    > Does anybody know which standard-taper cartridge bottom brackets, other (cheaper) than Phil Wood,
    > are symmetrical?
    >
    > I have in front of me a 68x115 Shimano UN-72 that is clearly symmetrical
    or
    > very, very close (within 1 mm).
    >
    > But I've seen many UN-(52,53,72,73) bottom brackets that clearly have a right side offset. Are
    > certain lengths symmetrical while others are not? Does anybody have a chart that lists offsets?
    > What about Race-Face and
    other
    > "aftermarket" bottom brackets?
    >
    > I know Campy makes some, and that wouldn't be a problem except that I want to use a 130 BCD crank
    > for the intended application.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Bruce

  3. Velocat

    Velocat Guest

    Check out American Classic

    http://www.amclassic.com/BBs.html

    Bruce Lange wrote:
    > Does anybody know which standard-taper cartridge bottom brackets, other (cheaper) than Phil Wood,
    > are symmetrical?
    >
    > I have in front of me a 68x115 Shimano UN-72 that is clearly symmetrical or very, very close
    > (within 1 mm).
    >
    > But I've seen many UN-(52,53,72,73) bottom brackets that clearly have a right side offset. Are
    > certain lengths symmetrical while others are not? Does anybody have a chart that lists offsets?
    > What about Race-Face and other "aftermarket" bottom brackets?
    >
    > I know Campy makes some, and that wouldn't be a problem except that I want to use a 130 BCD crank
    > for the intended application.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Bruce

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Bruce Lange" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

    > Does anybody know which standard-taper cartridge bottom brackets, other (cheaper) than Phil Wood,
    > are symmetrical?
    -snip-

    We're using a lot of the Tange #LN-56 this year. Nice product.