Symptoms of deficiency in vitamin D?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Michael Rawlins, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. Hi, I'm checking in regarding some accumulating symptoms
    that I've been told might be vitamin D deficiency. I have an
    appointment with MD tomorrow morning.

    Started few weeks ago with eyelid twitch. Heart
    palpitations came on, last few days, and they're fairly
    pronounced. I have dry funny taste in my mouth. Calves and
    other muscles starting to twitch a bit too, especially
    after walking around. The lower part of my legs feel like
    they're vibrating. My resting heart rate and BP are lowest
    in summer, and highest now. This annual cycle is in it's
    third year.

    Not much milk in my diet, maybe 6oz (2%) every other
    day. Salmon 2x/week. A calcium/magensium/zinc
    supplement (1000mg/400mg/30mg) or might
    be(400mg/1000mg/30mg, can't recall).

    I'm off to get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning booth
    per recommendation of friend (physicist/researcher) that is
    part of UV/ Vit D study. I live at 40 degrees N (NH), moved
    here 3 years ago (grew up in Delaware) and have seen no
    significant UV exposure for several months.

    Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says tomorrow
    and following blood work.

    Comments are greatly, greatly appreciated.

    Cheers, Mike

    Tags:

  2. Mark London

    Mark London Guest

    These are actually symptoms of a magnesium, which can happen
    due to too much magnesium, but also too much calcium.
    Calcium and magnesium should at least taken in a 2 to 1
    ratio, but many people suggest the ratio should be closer to
    1 to 1. Plus, lots of generic mineral supplements use
    magnesium oxide and citrate, both of which are poorly
    absorbed, which is why they are sometimes used as laxatives
    (the unabsorbed part causes the laxative effect). I suggest
    that you switch to a chelated form of magnesium, or possibly
    a liquid form, as some people find that form to be better
    absorbed than pills. Also, minerals are better absorbed if
    you split up the doses, rather than taking a single pill.

    Vitamin D can affect magnesium absorption, and magnesium can
    affect vitamin D, so it's still possible you have a vitamin
    D deficiency. But if that was the case, I would think it
    would affect calcium more, in which case you would have
    things like aches and pains, and if it's severe enough, a
    pin snd needle type of sensation. Twitches and high BP anc
    palpitations are symptoms of a magnesium deficiency.

    In a previous article, [email protected] (Michael Rawlins)
    wrote: ->Hi, ->I'm checking in regarding some accumulating
    symptoms that I've been ->told might be vitamin D
    deficiency. I have an appointment with MD ->tomorrow
    morning. -> ->Started few weeks ago with eyelid twitch.
    Heart palpitations came on, ->last few days, and they're
    fairly pronounced. I have dry funny taste ->in my ->mouth.
    Calves and other muscles starting to twitch a bit too, -
    >especially after walking around. The lower part of my legs
    feel like ->they're vibrating. ->My resting heart rate and
    BP are lowest in summer, ->and highest now. This annual
    cycle is in it's third year. -> ->Not much milk in my diet,
    maybe 6oz (2%) every other day. Salmon ->2x/week. ->A
    calcium/magensium/zinc supplement (1000mg/400mg/30mg) or
    might ->be(400mg/1000mg/30mg, can't recall). -> ->I'm off to
    get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning booth per -
    >recommendation of friend (physicist/researcher) that is
    part of UV/ ->Vit D study. I live at 40 degrees N (NH),
    moved here 3 years ago ->(grew up in Delaware) and ->have
    seen no significant UV exposure for several months. -> -
    >Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says
    tomorrow and ->following blood work. -> ->Comments are
    greatly, greatly appreciated. -> ->Cheers, ->Mike

  3. [email protected] (Mark London) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    Thanks Mark. This has got me really concerned. The symptoms
    are classic tetany, I have the pins and needles, sort of a
    buzzing in calf and below. I've looked at my typical daily
    calcium intake, and it's at the low end. Not much dairy,
    about a cup of day, not much other dairy. I live in New
    Hampshire, and have darker pigmented skin. I see there are
    studies saying that at these latitudes, vitamin D levels are
    lower. So I had blood draw yesterday, and my doctor is
    checking calcium, magnesium, 25 OH Vitamin D, and some
    kidney function. From what I've read, Vitamin D is important
    in absoption of calcium.

    I've been on some supplements (calcium/magnesium,
    1000/400mg) another supplement I bought has Vitamin D and
    calcium. I've also spent 10 minutes in tanning booth each
    day past two days. Seems the twitching really drops off for
    several hours after I leave tanner, palpitation are almost
    gone, and I'm sleeping a bit better. But I am no where near
    100%. So I'm concluding that serium vit D is increasing, now
    just have to increase calcium in presence of more D. A
    leading researcher (my friend is working on a NIH study w/
    him; vit D and UV exposure) suggested the regime, and said
    give it two weeks. So 2 days in, I see improvement. What's
    got me concerned is reading about increasing symptoms in
    winter in people with MS. That has me ready to get to a
    neurologist. Yikes!

    Does any of this make sense? If blood work comes back clean,
    I really be scratching my head (no pun intended).

    After writing all this, I just realize I took the
    calcium/magnesium supplement 1 hour ago, and the twitching
    is increasing jut a bit. You said symptoms show too much
    magnesium. Did you mean too little? That supplement is 1000
    mg calcium, 400 magnesium, if I recall.

    Regards, Mike

  4. [email protected] (Mark London) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> [...]

    > too, ->especially after walking around. The lower part of
    > my legs feel like ->they're vibrating. ->My resting heart
    > rate and BP are lowest in summer, ->and highest now. This
    > annual cycle is in it's third year. -> ->Not much milk in
    > my diet, maybe 6oz (2%) every other day. Salmon ->2x/week.
    > ->A calcium/magensium/zinc supplement (1000mg/400mg/30mg)
    > or might ->be(400mg/1000mg/30mg, can't recall). -> ->I'm
    > off to get some cod liver oil and hit the tanning booth
    > per ->recommendation of friend (physicist/researcher) that
    > is part of UV/ ->Vit D study. I live at 40 degrees N (NH),
    > moved here 3 years ago ->(grew up in Delaware) and ->have
    > seen no significant UV exposure for several months. -> -
    > >Hope it's not all in my head..... See what doc says
    > tomorrow and ->following blood work. -> ->Comments are
    > greatly, greatly appreciated. -> ->Cheers, ->Mike

  5. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-03-12 13:20:44 -0500, [email protected] (Michael Rawlins) said:

    First of all, let me clarify things by stating that, in all
    likelihood, this stuff is indeed all in your head. Frankly,
    your posting sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive. Get help.

    > The symptoms are classic tetany

    No. "Classic tetany" is just that; *rigid*, immobile (and
    excruciatingly painful), contracted muscles. You don't have
    that. Forget it.

    > I've looked at my typical daily calcium intake, and it's
    > at the low end.

    You've probably underestimated it, but just start taking a
    Centrum every day, and save the medical co-payment. Use the
    money to buy a self-help book on OCD. ;-) Seriously.

    > I see there are studies saying that at these latitudes,
    > vitamin D levels are lower.

    Do you spend even a few minutes outside or sitting by a
    window? Unless you're a vampire or have a serious case of
    social anxiety disorder (or are a first-order geek), you're
    almost certainly gettting enough sunlight to provide for
    adequate vitamin D production. Forget the tanning beds;
    they just increase your risk of skin cancer (no matter what
    they say).

    > So I had blood draw yesterday, and my doctor is checking
    > calcium, magnesium, 25 OH Vitamin D, and some kidney
    > function.

    He must've been in too big a hurry to actually tell you how
    unlikely this all is. Expect them to be normal.

    > What's got me concerned is reading about increasing
    > symptoms in winter in people with MS. That has me ready to
    > get to a neurologist. Yikes!

    Please buy that book on OCD.

    > Does any of this make sense? If blood work comes back
    > clean, I really be scratching my head (no pun intended).

    Then you'll probably convince yourself you have lice. ;-)

    > After writing all this, I just realize I took the
    > calcium/magnesium supplement 1 hour ago, and the twitching
    > is increasing jut a bit. You said symptoms show too much
    > magnesium. Did you mean too little? That supplement is
    > 1000 mg calcium, 400 magnesium, if I recall.

    Please go buy that book....RIGHT NOW!

  6. anon <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<2004040207224764440%[email protected]>...
    > On 2004-03-12 13:20:44 -0500, [email protected] (Michael
    > Rawlins) said:
    >
    > First of all, let me clarify things by stating that, in
    > all likelihood, this stuff is indeed all in your head.
    > Frankly, your posting sounds a bit obsessive-compulsive.
    > Get help.
    >
    > > The symptoms are classic tetany
    >
    > No. "Classic tetany" is just that; *rigid*, immobile (and
    > excruciatingly painful), contracted muscles. You don't
    > have that. Forget it.
    >
    > > I've looked at my typical daily calcium intake, and it's
    > > at the low end.
    >
    > You've probably underestimated it, but just start taking a
    > Centrum every day, and save the medical co-payment. Use
    > the money to buy a self-help book on OCD. ;-) Seriously.
    >
    > > I see there are studies saying that at these latitudes,
    > > vitamin D levels are lower.
    >
    > Do you spend even a few minutes outside or sitting by a
    > window? Unless you're a vampire or have a serious case of
    > social anxiety disorder (or are a first-order geek),
    > you're almost certainly gettting enough sunlight to
    > provide for adequate vitamin D production. Forget the
    > tanning beds; they just increase your risk of skin cancer
    > (no matter what they say).
    >
    > > So I had blood draw yesterday, and my doctor is checking
    > > calcium, magnesium, 25 OH Vitamin D, and some kidney
    > > function.
    >
    > He must've been in too big a hurry to actually tell you
    > how unlikely this all is. Expect them to be normal.
    >
    > > What's got me concerned is reading about increasing
    > > symptoms in winter in people with MS. That has me ready
    > > to get to a neurologist. Yikes!
    >
    > Please buy that book on OCD.
    >
    > > Does any of this make sense? If blood work comes back
    > > clean, I really be scratching my head (no pun intended).
    >
    > Then you'll probably convince yourself you have lice. ;-)
    >
    > > After writing all this, I just realize I took the
    > > calcium/magnesium supplement 1 hour ago, and the
    > > twitching is increasing jut a bit. You said symptoms
    > > show too much magnesium. Did you mean too little? That
    > > supplement is 1000 mg calcium, 400 magnesium, if I
    > > recall.
    >
    > Please go buy that book....RIGHT NOW!

    Pretty hard to separate OCD from primary anxiety disorder,
    which is where my money is. And you can see the huge medical
    costs associated with this.

    People like this are the best argument for the social role
    of homeopaths, quacks, and religious healers. These folks
    need attention. They usually have money. They aren't ill.
    They need to see somebody and need to get some advise on
    doing something ease their minds, and which isn't dangerous.
    I just wish they wouldn't get $500 of blood tests and
    whatnot, and make my insurance go out of reach.

  7. Anon

    Anon Guest

    On 2004-04-02 23:09:45 -0500, [email protected] (Steve Harris
    [email protected]) said:

    > Pretty hard to separate OCD from primary anxiety disorder,
    > which is where my money is.

    Maybe, but the OCD traits are certainly there.

    > People like this are the best argument for the social role
    > of homeopaths, quacks, and religious healers. These folks
    > need attention. They usually have money. They aren't ill.
    > They need to see somebody and need to get some advise on
    > doing something ease their minds, and which isn't
    > dangerous.

    The "worried well" are great fodder for quacks of all kinds,
    including medical imaging centers (staffed by MDs) hawking
    full-body CT scans and such. For cash, of course.

    > I just wish they wouldn't get $500 of blood tests and
    > whatnot, and make my insurance go out of reach.

    I agree. I try to walk a fine line between ordering just
    enough tests (usually the simplest ones) to convince the
    patient there's nothing medical going on without going hog-
    wild. It's an art, and these people (as you noted) need our
    time more than they need our tests and medicines.