Synapse 5 or 6 105 vs Tommaso Aggraziato Ultegra

azteca

Nov 17, 2014
Looking to buy a new carbon bike and I cant decide. I narrowed it down to Cannondale Synapse 5 or 6, or Tommaso Ultegra.

The Tommaso is a better deal up front but there are two options if I purchase the Synapse from my local bike shop. First, fitting is included which is about $150 and Second, free mantenance for 1 year.

Its just hard to overlook the Tommaso with the Ultegra gear.

Make sure that you're comparing apples to apples there. The 2015 Synapse 5 and 6 have the 11 speed 105, the 5800 version. From what I can see, the Tomasso looks like it has 6700, which is 10 speed Ultegra. There wasn't enough difference between 10 speed 105 and Ultegra for me to make a decision based only on the group. For the same price, 11 speed 105 vs. 10 speed Ultegra is a no-brainer. Go with 105 hands down.

You should also be aware that the Synapse is an "endurance" geometry frame, with a higher head tube and a slightly longer wheelbase than most "race" bikes. Just from eyeballing the Tomasso, it looks like a race geometry frame.

As far as the 5 or 6 Synapse, I would go with the 5. For the better Prologo saddle (although the C-dale house brand saddle on the 6 isn't that bad), slightly better wheels, and the 105 brakes. Tiagra brakes suck almost as much as Tektro brakes.

I just found out Cannondale is owned by Dorel Industries who makes a lot of Walmart bikes.

Azteca,
My name is Mike and I'm also the owner of Tommaso Bikes and Giantnerd.com I could tell you how great the Aggraziato is compared to the Cannodale, but not sure you would believe me since I'm likely biased. What I did want to inform you of is a pending review we are getting on the Aggraziato form Road Bike Action Magazine. It is coming out in the print version (and likely the online too) this month (Dec. Issue). They won't tell us how the review went, so it could be great, ok or not so ok. But, they did have the bike for 3 months and it was like pulling teeth to get it back from them. As for the frame, the Aggraziato uses the same frame as the Superleggera (different color scheme) and there is a review on it on roabbikereview.com which basically stated the Superleggera was one of the best deals on a carbon bike anywhere.

Here's a link to the RBR review. Please note there are some issues with our Ready to Ride Build highlighted in the article which we took ownership of and agreed with the reviewer, we have since completely revamped our build team and have had nearly zero issues in the last 6 months.

Finally, if it helps your decision, we offer 2 advantages that no manufacturer or bike shop can match (or at least they choose not to match them).

1. A lifetime warranty on ALL frames including carbon. If it breaks we replace no questions asked (as long as you don't crash the bike). We feel you deserve this guarantee.

2. 7 Day Risk Free Test Ride. Buy the bike, have it shipped built to you, test is for 7 days, if you don't like it FOR ANY REASON, then call us and we'll send you a no cost return shipping label to return it to us for a full refund. No restrictions like "bike must be returned in like new condition" or such. Just send it back as we don't want anyone riding our bikes who are not 100% convinced that they made the right choice and are an advocate for our brand.

Finally, we'll be running a black Friday sale which will include a $100 off the Aggraziato so if you want it before the 29th, just call Chris our customer service manager at 877-731-6051 and tell him Mike mentioned that you can get the Black Friday discount now and he'll set you up. Again, we don't want an upset customer who bought a bike and 2 weeks later it's on sale.

Thanks,
Mike

Originally Posted by azteca
I just found out Cannondale is owned by Dorel Industries who makes a lot of Walmart bikes.
Dorel is the parent company, but Cannondale operates under a separate division than Schwinn, which is Dorel's Wal Mart brand. Separate management and design engineers, too. Giant makes their frames in Taiwan.

I looked at the specs on the Tomasso. Looks like a race geometry bike, 99 cm wheelbase, 16 cm head tube in the XL size. The shape of the top tube isn't what determines the geometry. But there isn't any rule that says a race bike has to be uncomfortable. I used to ride a Trek Madone, after all, and I'm in my 60s. It wasn't any less comfortable on long rides (100 miles) than the Synapse. Fit is important. The Tomasso should climb well. 11-28 cassette on a compact, that should be enough. It looks like a lot of bike for the money, to be honest. I was looking at an older model, obviously, not this years. One major difference, aside from 11 speed Ultegra, is the upgraded brakes, decent 105 brakes instead of crappy Tektro. I wouldn't sweat over tires---Schwalbe Lugano vs. Hutchinson Equinox is pretty much a toss-up. Cheap entry level tires, but they wear very well and aren't particularly flat-prone. They will probably be the first things you replace anyway.

meddy..I've chatted with Chris on-line and he has been a lot of help. I am planning to call to see if you will have a aggraziato frame with 105. My biggest concern is that I don't know what size will work for me and that is why I'm hesitating to buy on-line. I read great reviews about your bike and your service and that is also why is still on the top of my list. Thanks for info on the discount. mpre53...went to the LBS today to see the cannondale, very nice bike though I am still concern about some components on it. The LBS had a very sophisticated way to measure and analysis your body to obtain the correct measurements. They suggested doing this first, see which frame geometry works best for me, select a couple of their frames/brands and test ride to pick one. Great idea unfortunately they only sell cannondale or Fuji. Tommaso still is the best bang for your buck and Mike just made it better......decisions decisions. 😁😁

Azteca,

We won't have an 11 speed 105 version (with same frame) until April 15. Shimano has been backed up in there supply chain and we want to use the 105 crank and there has been a delay. We speced the 105 because we have found non-Shimano cranks to cause some shifting issues with 11 speed setups and for 2015 we are going to all shimano cranks on all our bikes (even the lower end aluminum models). We do have a 105 version now, but it is the old 10 speed 105, if you are interested in this groupo call Chris and he can give you the details and our special Black Friday pricing. The new 105 11 spd will be priced around $1600.

As for sizing, with the 7 day free test ride, if you need a size change we will swap it our for free to another size. Again, our goal is a satisfied customer not someone who is disappointed.

All the best in your search for your next ride.

Mike

Thanks Mike for the info. I am sure I want an 11 speed and I will decide on one real soon.

mpre53..your right, it doesn't matter if its a race or endurance frame as long as its comfortable for what I use it for. My current bike has a new set of great tires so I can easily just swap them.