Syncope, atenolol, now I'm scared

Cher

Guest
Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that had
many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They said it
was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the hospital where
they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home. Three weeks later,
I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had a tilt table test
confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like taking pills and this
pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing if it is all related or
not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and scared. I didn't go to work
today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you for letting me vent.

cheryl

x-no-archive: yes

>Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that had
>many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They said it
>was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the hospital
>where they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home. Three weeks
>later, I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had a tilt table
>test confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like taking pills
>and this pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing if it is all
>related or not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and scared. I didn't go
>to work today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you for letting me vent.
>
>cheryl

I urge you to find a doctor who's knowledgable (no easy task) about mast cell activation disorder,
mastocytosis, and, if you have face flushing, carcinoid syndrome.

I found my friend's diagnosis of masto on Medline after about 12 doctors at 3 hospitals tortured her
and failed to find it.

All I had to do was type in her three main symptoms.

Susan

"Susan " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> x-no-archive: yes
>
> >Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that
> >had many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They
> >said it was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the
> >hospital where they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home.
> >Three weeks later, I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had
> >a tilt table test confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like
> >taking pills and this pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing
> >if it is all related or not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and
> >scared. I didn't go to work today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you
> >for letting me vent.
> >
> >cheryl
>
> I urge you to find a doctor who's knowledgable (no easy task) about mast
cell
> activation disorder, mastocytosis, and, if you have face flushing,
carcinoid
> syndrome.
>
> I found my friend's diagnosis of masto on Medline after about 12 doctors
at 3
> hospitals tortured her and failed to find it.
>
> All I had to do was type in her three main symptoms.
>
> Susan

Susan:

What clinical evidence leads you to believe that the original poster is suffering from an allergy? I
took it that she had a migraine and was prescribed a Beta Blocker. B-blockers are notorious for
causing symptoms such as described.

Entering in three main symptoms in a computer program seems a bit simplistic. If you consider that
12 docs have about 48 years of med school experience, it is unlikely that a three question program
can supersede their education. In fact, it seems a tad arrogant. Was the site at which you found the
questionnaire promoting 'Mast Cell Disease'?

Obviously, you have touched a nerve with me and I do not mean to be sarcastic. I get very tired of
hearing people self diagnose themselves via the internet, etc. and then proclaim that they are able
to do what clinicians are unable to do. I believe that great harm comes from self-diagnosis. I
believe that it is easier to believe that fibromylagia or toxic mold is the cause of depression and
lethargy because there is no cure. Until depressed and lethargic folks believe that they can
determine their outcomes, they will remain depressed and lethargic. Alas, I have known too many
patients who 'enjoyed' their illness. Without it they would be nothing or at least unworthy of the
attention that illness garners.

I believe in the benefits of herbal remedies but I have seen more than one person forego needed
surgery because they believed in chelation therapy which has not been proven. CoQ10 is an excellent
alternative adjunct to traditional cardiology but it is not a stand alone therapy.

Please forgive me for this rant. I do not now, nor will I ever, believe that a three question
internet quiz is a substitute for real medical care.

I am in awe of your emotional response. Although fibromylagia patients are very real, it did become
the disease of the month club for a while and was quite over diagnosed. Do you deny that? Do you
think it helps true fibro patients when scores of patients complaining of vague symptoms are given a
'legit' diagnosis? I would be offended if I had fibromyalgia. I have seen the bizarre lab work of
true toxic mold patients but it is not typical of the fast majority of those claiming the disease.

I am sure that you hold it as a badge of honor that you have NEVER missed a day of work Like you, I
have never missed a day of work regardless of how badly I felt related to allergies, etc. I do not
believe I made a mockery of anyone.

Maybe instead of working 50 - 70 hours a week, you should relax a little. Your granddaughter might
appreciate a Grandmother who is more rested and in less pain. Being a martyr counts for little when
it comes to little kids.

By the way, I am not sure that you are qualified to tell me what I am or am not worthy of. I am a
nurse and I care deeply for people. It is not your call.

I noticed that you didn't address the other points in my email. Is that because you believe that a
three question internet quiz can accurately diagnose 'mast cell' disease?

j "Complex592" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040224214916.16225.00000248@mb-
m11.aol.com...
> How dare you talk about fibro patients like they are mental cases. Having
been
> diagnosed with Fibro all the way back in 1983 I can tell you it is a real disorder. Do I wallow in
> pain? No. I have learned to live with it and keep
it
> at a minimum. I NEVER miss a day of work and never walk around
complaining.
> How dare you make a mockery of someone who feels so worn out from pain
that
> they can not move:? Their pain is as real as in any other disease. Just
as
> your funny bone has been hit so has mine. Mitral valve prolapse,
irritable
> bowel syndrom, tendonitius, muscle spasm, chronic back pain, numerous
trigger
> points. parasthesias, mental fog, muscle cramps, stiff man syndrome. You
want
> to know something. I have worked 50-70 hours a week with all of the
above.I
> take care of a home, my granddaughter and then work at night from home. I
have
> had breast cancer and and 6 months of chemo and it was easier than fibro
any
> day of the week. Dont be so quick to validate or invalidate anybodys
complaint
> of discomfort. Your not worthy of it obviously. Goodnight.

"Complex592" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Julie I am not a martyr. I work hard because I love my work. You, Love
people.
> I think you sound more like the black nurse of death. Loving people is
> accwept them for what they are not run their lives. Get a life. I just
can
> see it now...The patient in 201B calls out on the intercom and the lite
goes
> on.. The patient needs to go to the bathroom. Nurse Julie sitting
there,tells
> the nurses charting at the station, "That patient in 201B is a real pain.
She
> has nothing to do but call out. All she wants is attention." Dont give
me the
> loving nurse routine. I have worked in hospitals for 29 years. I have
watched
> nurses SKIP TO A CODE HOLDING HANDS. DO HATE NURSES. No. There are good
ones
> and their are bad ones. But hidding behind the dear nurse routine doesnt
work.

I have a life, thank you very much. I no longer work in a hospital but work as a consultant., I have
no patients in 201B or whatever number you imagination comes up with.

I will tell you this. I am ruthless when it comes to people questioning my motives and trashing my
nursing skills and judgment. Unless you can come up with actual situations in which I behaved in the
unprofessional way in which you described, you would be better off not relating them online or
anywhere else in a public forum. This is not a suggestion. I will take action.

As best I know you have never been my patient nor have you been a patient at a facility that has
used my consulting services. To call me the Black Nurse of Death because I tend to think that
fibromyalgia has been over diagnosed tells me more than I ever wanted to know about you. I
personally, have never skipped to a code holding hands with anyone although, I have attended
numerous codes in my role as a CCU nurse. I can assure you that my only objective was to restore an
airway and heartbeat. Does that make me a black nurse of death?

Be very careful. I love my job and I love teaching patients. I do not take threats to my livelihood
lightly. By the way, how much time have you spent in nursing school? What license do you have?

julianne (note spelling).

"Complex592" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040224223025.16105.00000375@mb-
m11.aol.com...
> Julie I am not a martyr. I work hard because I love my work. You, Love
people.
> I think you sound more like the black nurse of death. Loving people is
> accwept them for what they are not run their lives. Get a life. I just
can
> see it now...The patient in 201B calls out on the intercom and the lite
goes
> on.. The patient needs to go to the bathroom. Nurse Julie sitting
there,tells
> the nurses charting at the station, "That patient in 201B is a real pain.
She
> has nothing to do but call out. All she wants is attention." Dont give
me the
> loving nurse routine. I have worked in hospitals for 29 years. I have
watched
> nurses SKIP TO A CODE HOLDING HANDS. DO HATE NURSES. No. There are good
ones
> and their are bad ones. But hidding behind the dear nurse routine doesnt
work.

Cheryl,

I'd be scared,too. There is a procedureto prevent fainting - an exercise you can be trained to do.

[email protected] (Cher) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Don't mean to sound like an idiot... I'm 34yo and relatively healthy. I went on this ride that had
> many gforces, I had a severe migraine (which I never had before) and went to the dr. They said it
> was from the ride, looked in my eyes with a light, then put me in an ambulance to the hospital
> where they did a spinal tap. They said I was ok, the fluid was clear and sent me home. Three weeks
> later, I fained suddenly. Since then I fainted 4 times and came close 12 times. I had a tilt table
> test confirming syncope yesterday and put on Atenolol. I am petriifed. I don't like taking pills
> and this pill makes me cold all over! I am afraid to go on any rides now not knowing if it is all
> related or not. My dr. says there is no way to know. I am very frustrated and scared. I didn't go
> to work today, I think I just need a day to get my head together. Thank you for letting me vent.
>
> cheryl

"Susan " <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> FTR, I'm really sick of ignorant people who think everyone is searching
herbal
> medicine retail sites for their health info, or who recommend sitting back
and
> letting ignorant lazy doctors (my friend's were at very prestigious NY
academic
> hospitals) do the driving.
>
> Susan

Ah, but surely there must be some happy medium....

Not all doctors are lazy and ignorant. Furthermore, herbal and other alternative medical practices
have been around for centuries longer than traditional medicine. I cannot imagine that China would
have overpopulation problems if tea, tofu and acupuncture were harmful. I also have seen patients
taking vinegar for high blood pressure in lieu of antihypertensive meds because they were hostile
against traditional medicine. (It doesn't work, by the way.) I had a patient with maggots in a wound
because her family didn't think the doctors knew how to dress a wound the way they preferred.
(Debridement looks bad but it is necessary!)

I have never worked in NY academic hospitals. I have not heard that the docs there were lazy or
ignorant. The docs I worked with, for the most part, worked exceptionally hard. Is it even remotely
possible that some of the docs and other health care professionals care just a little about their
patients? Instead of letting the doc or the patient do the driving, maybe a co-pilot relationship
would be best??