Syndey Airport Luggage Check - bike box?

Andrew F Martin

Guest
I am planning on travel to Australia next March. I _really_ want to
bring a bike, but am struggling with the "how". We are flying into
Sydney, then potentially driving to Brisbane with family. I can
probably get the bike on the car without issue, but does anybody have
any experience with long-term "left luggage" at Sydney airport? I
suppose I could find storage in the area, but on-site would likely be
easier.

I've looked into bike rental in Brisbane, but I'm looking for somethign
that I can potentially race and hold onto for the entire 3 week stay.
Renting might make that cost prohibitive.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> I am planning on travel to Australia next March. I _really_ want to
> bring a bike, but am struggling with the "how". We are flying into
> Sydney, then potentially driving to Brisbane with family. I can
> probably get the bike on the car without issue, but does anybody have
> any experience with long-term "left luggage" at Sydney airport? I
> suppose I could find storage in the area, but on-site would likely be
> easier.
>
> I've looked into bike rental in Brisbane, but I'm looking for somethign
> that I can potentially race and hold onto for the entire 3 week stay.
> Renting might make that cost prohibitive.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

I am not sure if it still exists since the "terrorist threat" started to
win elections. It was also quite expensive. You could see if Bicycle NSW
ill store it for you, they are in the centre of Sydney, if you are first
timer that could be a nightmare for you.

--
Remove norubbish to reply

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> I am planning on travel to Australia next March. I _really_ want to
> bring a bike, but am struggling with the "how". We are flying into
> Sydney, then potentially driving to Brisbane with family. I can
> probably get the bike on the car without issue, but does anybody have
> any experience with long-term "left luggage" at Sydney airport? I
> suppose I could find storage in the area, but on-site would likely be
> easier.
>
> I've looked into bike rental in Brisbane, but I'm looking for somethign
> that I can potentially race and hold onto for the entire 3 week stay.
> Renting might make that cost prohibitive.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

Do I understand right, that the problem is where to store your bike
box? The best way is to go to your LBS and ask them for a cardboard
bike box, then dump it when you unpack your bike (you might need to be
inventive). When you are going home, go to any LBS and do the same
again. You might need to try more than one, in case they have low
turn-over. They are usually happy to give them away. Or you can get one
from Qantas for not much money, and pack the bike at the airport.

Donga

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> I am planning on travel to Australia next March. I _really_ want to
> bring a bike, but am struggling with the "how". We are flying into
> Sydney, then potentially driving to Brisbane with family. I can
> probably get the bike on the car without issue, but does anybody have
> any experience with long-term "left luggage" at Sydney airport? I
> suppose I could find storage in the area, but on-site would likely be
> easier.
>
> I've looked into bike rental in Brisbane, but I'm looking for somethign
> that I can potentially race and hold onto for the entire 3 week stay.
> Renting might make that cost prohibitive.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

I'm sorry I'm over 200 kilometres away or I would volunteer to help you
out. But I do have some other suggestions...

Buying a "single use" bike box at the airport is easy in Australia.
QANTAS stock moderately strong ones for (I think $A25 or $A30). They are
much stronger than the standard ones that factories ship bikes in. So
maybe you could use a "single use" box into Australia, and another one
out again (all you'd need to carry is some packaging tape). I also use
bubble wrap internally in these boxes, but it is easy to buy a suitable
roll at Australia Post shops and elsewhere.

Alternatively if you use a box like the www.crateworks.com ones (I have
one) then it might make it easier to take with you as it folds flat.

As a third option, one of the soft sided bike bags will provide some
protection for the flight, and will also keep your bike separated from
your other luggage in the car.

On Nov 10, 6:20 am, "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> I am planning on travel to Australia next March. I _really_ want to
> bring a bike, but am struggling with the "how". We are flying into
> Sydney, then potentially driving to Brisbane with family. I can
> probably get the bike on the car without issue, but does anybody have
> any experience with long-term "left luggage" at Sydney airport? I
> suppose I could find storage in the area, but on-site would likely be
> easier.
>
> I've looked into bike rental in Brisbane, but I'm looking for somethign
> that I can potentially race and hold onto for the entire 3 week stay.
> Renting might make that cost prohibitive.
>
> Any ideas are appreciated.

As others have mentioned you could go for the a single use type of box.
I know Qantas sell them for $A15. I have used the Qantas box before
without any dramas. It is a really good size.

If you can get a box from where you are coming from for a similar price
you will probably find this cheaper than paying for storage anyhow.

Rhubarb wrote:
> As others have mentioned you could go for the a single use type of box.
> I know Qantas sell them for $A15. I have used the Qantas box before
> without any dramas. It is a really good size.
>
> If you can get a box from where you are coming from for a similar price
> you will probably find this cheaper than paying for storage anyhow.

Virgin definitely sell them for $15:

http://www.virginblue.com.au/helpInfo/travelInfo/atTheAirport/index.php?section=Baggage+Information

(Scroll down to "Travelling with a Bicycle").

Realistically, if you're travelling to a foreign country for 3 weeks
then $15 for a bike box is one of the best bargains you're likely to
find. ;-)

Just remember to carry the tools you need to dismantle your bike when
you return to the airport.

BTH

Donga wrote:

> Do I understand right, that the problem is where to store your bike
> box? The best way is to go to your LBS and ask them for a cardboard
> bike box, then dump it when you unpack your bike (you might need to be
> inventive). When you are going home, go to any LBS and do the same
> again. You might need to try more than one, in case they have low
> turn-over. They are usually happy to give them away. Or you can get one
> from Qantas for not much money, and pack the bike at the airport.
>
> Donga

I thought of getting a throw-away box, but it will be my good race bike
(http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1467000&f=1) so I'd
rather not risk it. I know they had left-luggage at a couple Euro
Airports when I travelled there. It wasn't too pricy, and so I thought
I'd ask about Sydney.

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SAC...T1+International+Terminal/Baggage/default.htm

Looks like I should have done a better search. $18 a day is a budget
killer.

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> Donga wrote:
>
> > Do I understand right, that the problem is where to store your bike
> > box? The best way is to go to your LBS and ask them for a cardboard
> > bike box, then dump it when you unpack your bike (you might need to be
> > inventive). When you are going home, go to any LBS and do the same
> > again. You might need to try more than one, in case they have low
> > turn-over. They are usually happy to give them away. Or you can get one
> > from Qantas for not much money, and pack the bike at the airport.
> >
> > Donga

> I thought of getting a throw-away box, but it will be my good race bike
> (http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1467000&f=1) so I'd
> rather not risk it. I know they had left-luggage at a couple Euro
> Airports when I travelled there. It wasn't too pricy, and so I thought
> I'd ask about Sydney.
>
> http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SAC...T1+International+Terminal/Baggage/default.htm
>
> Looks like I should have done a better search. $18 a day is a budget
> killer.

Risk what? I doubt the cardboard bike boxes ever get crushed. If
something is going to crush a box, it's going to crush your hard case,
e.g getting dropped on the tarmac and driven over by the tractor.
Plenty of fine bikes have travelled the world this way. Pack the bike
well inside and I really can't see what the risk is.

Donga

Donga wrote:
> Andrew F Martin wrote:
>
>>Donga wrote:
>>

>>>Do I understand right, that the problem is where to store your bike
>>>box? The best way is to go to your LBS and ask them for a cardboard
>>>bike box, then dump it when you unpack your bike (you might need to be
>>>inventive). When you are going home, go to any LBS and do the same
>>>again. You might need to try more than one, in case they have low
>>>turn-over. They are usually happy to give them away. Or you can get one
>>>from Qantas for not much money, and pack the bike at the airport.
>>>
>>>Donga

>>I thought of getting a throw-away box, but it will be my good race bike
>>(http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1467000&f=1) so I'd
>>rather not risk it. I know they had left-luggage at a couple Euro
>>Airports when I travelled there. It wasn't too pricy, and so I thought
>>I'd ask about Sydney.
>>
>>http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SAC...T1+International+Terminal/Baggage/default.htm
>>
>>Looks like I should have done a better search. $18 a day is a budget
>>killer.

> Risk what? I doubt the cardboard bike boxes ever get crushed. If
> something is going to crush a box, it's going to crush your hard case,
> e.g getting dropped on the tarmac and driven over by the tractor.
> Plenty of fine bikes have travelled the world this way. Pack the bike
> well inside and I really can't see what the risk is.
>
> Donga

I agree, I have done lots of trips using a box, no problems. I now use
one from the bike shop , they are smaller than the airline ones so
easier to handle.
If you are really worried remove the derailleur, tape it to the frame.

Jack Russell

--
Remove norubbish to reply

In article <[email protected]>,
"Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Donga wrote:
>
> > Do I understand right, that the problem is where to store your bike
> > box? The best way is to go to your LBS and ask them for a cardboard
> > bike box, then dump it when you unpack your bike (you might need to be
> > inventive). When you are going home, go to any LBS and do the same
> > again. You might need to try more than one, in case they have low
> > turn-over. They are usually happy to give them away. Or you can get one
> > from Qantas for not much money, and pack the bike at the airport.
> >
> > Donga

> I thought of getting a throw-away box, but it will be my good race bike
> (http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1467000&f=1) so I'd
> rather not risk it. I know they had left-luggage at a couple Euro
> Airports when I travelled there. It wasn't too pricy, and so I thought
> I'd ask about Sydney.
>
> http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Terminal+Information/T1+International+Ter
> minal/Baggage/default.htm
>
> Looks like I should have done a better search. $18 a day is a budget
> killer.

Andrew,
You can probably leave the box at my place if you get really stuck. I am
about 25 minutes from the airport in Sydney's eastern suburbs
(Paddington) if that is anywhere near where you are starting your trip
to Brisbane from. I can chuck it in a spare room for a few weeks.
You can contact me through [email protected] if you are interested.
regards,
Darryl

Darryl C wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Andrew F Martin" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Donga wrote:
> >
> > > Do I understand right, that the problem is where to store your bike
> > > box? The best way is to go to your LBS and ask them for a cardboard
> > > bike box, then dump it when you unpack your bike (you might need to be
> > > inventive). When you are going home, go to any LBS and do the same
> > > again. You might need to try more than one, in case they have low
> > > turn-over. They are usually happy to give them away. Or you can get one
> > > from Qantas for not much money, and pack the bike at the airport.
> > >
> > > Donga

> > I thought of getting a throw-away box, but it will be my good race bike
> > (http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?bikeid=1467000&f=1) so I'd
> > rather not risk it. I know they had left-luggage at a couple Euro
> > Airports when I travelled there. It wasn't too pricy, and so I thought
> > I'd ask about Sydney.
> >
> > http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/SACL/Terminal+Information/T1+International+Ter
> > minal/Baggage/default.htm
> >
> > Looks like I should have done a better search. $18 a day is a budget
> > killer.

> Andrew,
> You can probably leave the box at my place if you get really stuck. I am
> about 25 minutes from the airport in Sydney's eastern suburbs
> (Paddington) if that is anywhere near where you are starting your trip
> to Brisbane from. I can chuck it in a spare room for a few weeks.
> You can contact me through [email protected] if you are interested.
> regards,
> Darryl

.... or you can ship it up to me and leave it at my place in Brisbane
until you leave.

Donga