T-Bone Steak

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Jul 15, 2005.

  1. My method for preparing a T-Bone is sprinkle over some meat seasoning
    and about a 1/4 pack of onion soup.

    Put it in a cold oven set to 325 for about 40-45 min. I have also
    learned to put it on a rack to prevent such a watery taste.

    This turns out ok. It is kind of hard to mess up a T-Bone even if you
    are as lousy a cook as I am.

    What can I do to improve the taste? I have heard that some beat the
    steak before hand.

    Also I use 1/3 mayo, 1/3 ketchup, and 1/3 Heinz 57 sauce to dip the
    steak in.

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > My method for preparing a T-Bone is sprinkle over some meat seasoning
    > and about a 1/4 pack of onion soup.
    >
    > Put it in a cold oven set to 325 for about 40-45 min. I have also
    > learned to put it on a rack to prevent such a watery taste.
    >
    > This turns out ok. It is kind of hard to mess up a T-Bone even if you
    > are as lousy a cook as I am.
    >
    > What can I do to improve the taste? I have heard that some beat the
    > steak before hand.
    >
    > Also I use 1/3 mayo, 1/3 ketchup, and 1/3 Heinz 57 sauce to dip the
    > steak in.

    No comment on your method. A straightforward alternative would be to
    use your broiler instead of the oven. Preheat the broiler. Let the
    steak come to room temperature. Season it with salt and freshly ground
    pepper. Put it under the broiler, about 4" below. Cook 4 minutes,
    turn, cook 4 minutes longer. Remove and let rest while you mix the
    mayo, ketchup and Heinz in a small bowl. Put the bowl in the fridge
    and let it wait for the next time. Eat the steak unadorned.

    This is a starting place. If you like it less cooked, shorten the
    cooking time the next time. Now that you know what steak tastes like,
    decide how you want to season it the next time. -aem

  3. jay

    jay Guest

    On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 12:42:55 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    > My method for preparing a T-Bone is sprinkle over some meat seasoning
    > and about a 1/4 pack of onion soup.
    >
    > Put it in a cold oven set to 325 for about 40-45 min. I have also
    > learned to put it on a rack to prevent such a watery taste.
    >
    > This turns out ok. It is kind of hard to mess up a T-Bone even if you
    > are as lousy a cook as I am.
    >
    > What can I do to improve the taste? I have heard that some beat the
    > steak before hand.
    >
    > Also I use 1/3 mayo, 1/3 ketchup, and 1/3 Heinz 57 sauce to dip the
    > steak in.

    Are you serious? Your dipping sauce would disguise the flavor of nearly
    everything. Almost anything you do could improve this. i.e. grill it, pan
    grill it, broil it..ANYTHING but what you do TO it. Luck..

  4. hob

    hob Guest

    Hmmm... buried in dried onions and garlic powder, then fried covered in
    burnt onions and sugar, and then the residue from that process is dipped in
    ketchup and mayo prior to mastication. The meat is well done, also, I would
    hazard a guess.

    Seems the logical approach would be to use texas toast or hamburger or
    round steak or new york strap instead of T-bone, and leave the T-bone for
    beef lovers.

    T-bone is a cut that should be grilled/fried and served as-is: Some would
    say it's a crime to use sauces on the best cuts of meat - and T-bone is one
    of the best.

    Seriously, you probably wouldn't notice much difference in taste if you
    substituted thick sliced bread dipped in egg. Try that.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > My method for preparing a T-Bone is sprinkle over some meat seasoning
    > and about a 1/4 pack of onion soup.
    >
    > Put it in a cold oven set to 325 for about 40-45 min. I have also
    > learned to put it on a rack to prevent such a watery taste.
    >
    > This turns out ok. It is kind of hard to mess up a T-Bone even if you
    > are as lousy a cook as I am.
    >
    > What can I do to improve the taste? I have heard that some beat the
    > steak before hand.
    >
    > Also I use 1/3 mayo, 1/3 ketchup, and 1/3 Heinz 57 sauce to dip the
    > steak in.

  5. Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

    hob wrote:
    > Hmmm... buried in dried onions and garlic powder, then fried covered in
    > burnt onions and sugar, and then the residue from that process is dipped in
    > ketchup and mayo prior to mastication. The meat is well done, also, I would
    > hazard a guess.
    >
    > Seems the logical approach would be to use texas toast or hamburger or
    > round steak or new york strap instead of T-bone, and leave the T-bone for
    > beef lovers.
    >
    > T-bone is a cut that should be grilled/fried and served as-is: Some would
    > say it's a crime to use sauces on the best cuts of meat - and T-bone is one
    > of the best.
    >
    > Seriously, you probably wouldn't notice much difference in taste if you
    > substituted thick sliced bread dipped in egg. Try that.

    You've been trolled. How long you been doing this... haven't you
    learned yet that whenever you see a brand new poster with something
    ludicrous chances are 99 44/100% it's a troll.

    > <[email protected]> wrote
    > > My method for preparing a T-Bone is sprinkle over some meat seasoning
    > > and about a 1/4 pack of onion soup.
    > >
    > > Put it in a cold oven set to 325 for about 40-45 min. I have also
    > > learned to put it on a rack to prevent such a watery taste.
    > >
    > > This turns out ok. It is kind of hard to mess up a T-Bone even if you
    > > are as lousy a cook as I am.
    > >
    > > What can I do to improve the taste? I have heard that some beat the
    > > steak before hand.
    > >
    > > Also I use 1/3 mayo, 1/3 ketchup, and 1/3 Heinz 57 sauce to dip the
    > > steak in.

  6. hob

    hob Guest

    trolled -? OMG ! How is that possible? And I even checked their e-mail
    address.

    -------
    Yeah, maybe, but sometimes they're real people, and if not and they're
    trolling, I always thought it was funnier if one parodied back.

    (and I know people who think that dipping sauce is great.....)

    "Sheldon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > hob wrote:
    > > Hmmm... buried in dried onions and garlic powder, then fried covered in
    > > burnt onions and sugar, and then the residue from that process is dipped

    in
    > > ketchup and mayo prior to mastication. The meat is well done, also, I

    would
    > > hazard a guess.
    > >
    > > Seems the logical approach would be to use texas toast or hamburger or
    > > round steak or new york strap instead of T-bone, and leave the T-bone

    for
    > > beef lovers.
    > >
    > > T-bone is a cut that should be grilled/fried and served as-is: Some

    would
    > > say it's a crime to use sauces on the best cuts of meat - and T-bone is

    one
    > > of the best.
    > >
    > > Seriously, you probably wouldn't notice much difference in taste if you
    > > substituted thick sliced bread dipped in egg. Try that.

    > You've been trolled. How long you been doing this... haven't you
    > learned yet that whenever you see a brand new poster with something
    > ludicrous chances are 99 44/100% it's a troll.
    >

    > > <[email protected]> wrote
    > > > My method for preparing a T-Bone is sprinkle over some meat seasoning
    > > > and about a 1/4 pack of onion soup.
    > > >
    > > > Put it in a cold oven set to 325 for about 40-45 min. I have also
    > > > learned to put it on a rack to prevent such a watery taste.
    > > >
    > > > This turns out ok. It is kind of hard to mess up a T-Bone even if you
    > > > are as lousy a cook as I am.
    > > >
    > > > What can I do to improve the taste? I have heard that some beat the
    > > > steak before hand.
    > > >
    > > > Also I use 1/3 mayo, 1/3 ketchup, and 1/3 Heinz 57 sauce to dip the
    > > > steak in.

  7. Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
    so great) words of knowledge:

    Try Adolph's Meat Marinade, not the steak marinade.

    Disregard the directions for the length of time to marinade. Let it
    marinade for AT LEAST 4 HOURS, then, as others have suggested, use the
    broiler in your oven.

    You can cook the steak well done (ech ) if you like and it will still be
    reasonably moist, tender and flavorful. I suggest cooking the steak to
    NO MORE than medium for the best flavor, tenderness and amount of
    moisture though.