T-Mobile launch scathing attack on Discovery’s signing off Basso...

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
T-Mobile Sports Director Rolf Director explained to www.express.de, "I find it inconceivable that Basso will sign with Discovery Channel," and added, "Basso and Jan Ullrich, too, should prove their innocence, only then will they be interesting again."

whiteboytrash said:
T-Mobile Sports Director Rolf Director explained to www.express.de, "I find it inconceivable that Basso will sign with Discovery Channel," and added, "Basso and Jan Ullrich, too, should prove their innocence, only then will they be interesting again."
It's up to the UCI, WADA or the Spanish authorities to prove them guilty. I think most can agree on that.

So I've heard it both ways and I'm hoping for some clarification. Has the UCI declared Basso fit to ride in 2007? If not, what does that mean? Basso has stated that he wants to do the Giro-Tour double. What are the chances of that happening?

And, what are the chances that, say the Spanish authorities turn their eveidence over to the UCI for dna testing, Basso's bag is... missing? Now there's a conspiracy theory.

whiteboytrash said:
Why is he identifying just 2 riders?

wicklow200 said:
Why is he identifying just 2 riders?
Actually he wanted to speak about Ullrich only and was really surprised that a German journalist asked something about Basso.:p

acpinto said:
Worried with the chances of someone sign JU and Win Next year TdF.

Maybe TM will be happy then, :p :p that Basso signed with as strong a team as DC. That increases the chances of Basso winning, and decreases the chances of JU winning, if they both participate.

musette said:
Maybe TM will be happy then, :p :p that Basso signed with as strong a team as DC. That increases the chances of Basso winning, and decreases the chances of JU winning, if they both participate.
Well i got point here.
What are the odds that JU get a team without basso in DC?

That is a good point. Basso will always be more attractive to potential teams than JU because (1) he is considerably younger, (2) he has done better in recent GTs, and (3) he has less questions about his motivation/condition in certain parts of the year.

That being said, Basso had particular appeal to the US team DC because an Italian is probably more palatable as a team leader than a German (that's sad and it shouldn't be that way, but it probably is).

Therefore, in a way, Basso's finding a team may be good for JU because other teams (e.g., Baroloworld) will know that they will not get Basso and will think more seriously about JU.

Here's an analogy. Let's say Manning didn't have his long-term contract, and neither does Brady. If Manning and Brady are both out in the free agency market in the NFL, even for the weaker of the two (one can debate this), it probably is better for the stronger one to have signed with a team and to announce it. Then the remaining teams looking for quarterbacks can recruit the weaker one more agressively. A real life example may be Adam Vinatieri and Jeff Vandewhatever. Let's say everybody wants Vinatieri more than Jeff. Well, Adam's signing with the Colts (given that the Colts didn't want Jeff anyhow) was good for Jeff, because it meant that other teams looking for kickers wouldn't be holding out hopes for Adam any more.

musette said:
That being said, Basso had particular appeal to the US team DC because an Italian is probably more palatable as a team leader than a German (that's sad and it shouldn't be that way, but it probably is).
May be regarded as a xenophobic remark but here goes.
Found the guilty one on the cospiracy of OP. Tony Soprano ( Don Vitto would be more knowned nut tony is more recent) woul have like a partizani in an american team winning TdF.

musette said:
Here's an analogy. Let's say Manning didn't have his long-term contract, and neither does Brady. If Manning and Brady are both out in the free agency market in the NFL, even for the weaker of the two (one can debate this), it probably is better for the stronger one to have signed with a team and to announce it. Then the remaining teams looking for quarterbacks can recruit the weaker one more agressively. A real life example may be Adam Vinatieri and Jeff Vandewhatever. Let's say everybody wants Vinatieri more than Jeff. Well, Adam's signing with the Colts (given that the Colts didn't want Jeff anyhow) was good for Jeff, because it meant that other teams looking for kickers wouldn't be holding out hopes for Adam any more.
A girl that likes NFL:) . Are you on steroids:D ?

P.S. I find NFL stupid and anoying. Why can´t it be more like rugby. They play 10 sec then strategie line again.

musette said:
Huh?

Seriously, huh?

Seriously, what are you talking about? A preference by US fans for riders of particular nationalities? A preference by DC executives? I have no idea what you are talking about!

musette said:
That is a good point. Basso will always be more attractive to potential teams than JU because (1) he is considerably younger, (2) he has done better in recent GTs, and (3) he has less questions about his motivation/condition in certain parts of the year.

Therefore, in a way, Basso's finding a team may be good for JU because other teams (e.g., Baroloworld) will know that they will not get Basso and will think more seriously about JU.

Forget the analogies : most US fans couldn't give a flying .... whether the leader of DC is from Italy, Germany, Mars.

The fact of the matter is that cycling over there amounts to zero in the public perception.
American public haven't got a clue about the sport (and that goes for a majority of posters here too).

In addition - while reading the takingthepissline.com - check out the number of Americans who actually ride for DC.
You'll see that there is a tiny minority of American riders in DC.

DC's managed by a European - and the team is European in ethos and identity.

And some of us know less that zero ,but when we drink are good at making up BS that is believable at time.
Others just flounder and are delusional,however some of us do love the sport and our bikes and my bike loves me back.
I know ,it told me so.
OK Lim, I am ready to reads # 10,000.

jhuskey said:
And some of us know less that zero ,but when we drink are good at making up BS that is believable at time.
Others just flounder and are delusional,however some of us do love the sport and our bikes and my bike loves me back.
I know ,it told me so.
OK Lim, I am ready to reads # 10,000.

No.10,000 : you do know about the sport, JH.

I too love my bike !

limerickman said:

I too love my bike !
well done ! Do you remember your first post ?

...back to the topic: T-Mobile’s Rolf Aldag told Germany’s Express that he found the agreement “inconceivable,” adding that riders involved with Operacion Puerto should be required to show their innocence.

limerickman said:

I too love my bike !

Congratulations.................LIM! Yes I do know a little, but I do know more when I have had a couple of pints, about everything. I suspect that CH knows much more though.
10,000, I have a long way to go.

jhuskey said:
Congratulations.................LIM! Yes I do know a little, but I do know more when I have had a couple of pints, about everything. I suspect that CH knows much more though.
10,000, I have a long way to go.

Merci. I thank you kindly.

I think we all know more when we have a few beers (no beer for the month of November though - tradition here in Ireland for those who observe).

limerickman said:
(no beer for the month of November though - tradition here in Ireland for those who observe).

First I've ever heard that.
Observe what?
Surely a wee dram's all right, no?

I think most American neo-fans would be happier with a predominantly American team doing well in Europe. Without that, they're OK with a team owned predominantly by LANCE! But Basso is a charismatic guy with the heart of a champion so he won't have any trouble with his fan base in the states.

DiabloScott said:
First I've ever heard that.
Observe what?
Surely a wee dram's all right, no?

I think most American neo-fans would be happier with a predominantly American team doing well in Europe. Without that, they're OK with a team owned predominantly by LANCE! But Basso is a charismatic guy with the heart of a champion so he won't have any trouble with his fan base in the states.
Agreed. and the disco machine will go full swing in promoting Basso as an LA clone. First we'll see them together and then the ad nauseum repeated **** about training just like him (and only they train so hard), blah blah blah

bummer as I like(d) Basso.

limerickman said:
Forget the analogies : most US fans couldn't give a flying .... whether the leader of DC is from Italy, Germany, Mars.

The fact of the matter is that cycling over there amounts to zero in the public perception.
American public haven't got a clue about the sport (and that goes for a majority of posters here too).

In addition - while reading the takingthepissline.com - check out the number of Americans who actually ride for DC.

LMAO. Still letting Musette get under your skin I see.

limerickman said:

For once I have to agree with you. :) Okay, maybe twice. American's who do not ride and or race could really care less about cycling and who Disco's leader is. American's were excited by Lance, his beating cancer and his Wins. He's gone now and so will 90% of the "fans" who jumped on the bandwagon.