T-Mobile Race and Dura Ace

DiabloScott

New Member
May 15, 2003
2,284
These are some photos of USPS riders from the race last weekend:
http://littlechainring.com/tmobileintl2003/posting photos/sfgp 733.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/image/21356048
http://www.pbase.com/image/21356179

Looking at the cranks, looks like Padrnos has "old" Dura Ace on and Lance has the triathlete's version of DA.
Eki and Kluck also seem to have been riding old DA.

I was wondering why the Posties weren't riding 2004 DA and I thought maybe because the new 10-speed cassette isn't made with a low-enough gear for Fillmore. Any other ideas or confirmation?

Watching the Vuelta today, I noticed all the posties were on the "old" Trek OCLV frames ... not
one of the new ones like Lance rode in the Tour. So there must not be enough of the new stuff to
go around yet. Also, I'm not so sure that's the TT version of the DA cranks you saw on Lance's
bike. I think that's just what the new DA 10 crank looks like ... like what we're used to seeing
on TT bikes.

Bob C. "DiabloScott" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> These are some photos of USPS riders from the race last weekend: http:/-
> /littlechainring.com/tmobileintl2003/posting%20photos/sfgp%20733.jpg
> http://www.pbase.com/image/21356048 http://www.pbase.com/image/21356179
>
> Looking at the cranks, looks like Padrnos has "old" Dura Ace on and Lance has the triathlete's
> version of DA. Eki and Kluck also seem to have been riding old DA.
>
> I was wondering why the Posties weren't riding 2004 DA and I thought maybe because the new
> 10-speed cassette isn't made with a low-enough gear for Fillmore. Any other ideas or confirmation?
>

> --
> Check out my bike blog!
>
> http://diabloscott.blogspot.com

> Watching the Vuelta today, I noticed all the posties were on the "old"
Trek
> OCLV frames ... not one of the new ones like Lance rode in the Tour. So there must not be enough
> of the new stuff to go around yet. Also, I'm not so sure that's the TT version of the DA cranks
> you saw on Lance's bike. I think that's just what the new DA 10 crank looks like ... like what
> we're used to seeing on TT bikes.

Unless a team member also rides a 58cm, he's out of luck, because 58cm is the only size they've
built so far. Funny how that happens to be what Lance rides...

I don't think you'll see the rest of the team riding on the newer framesets until they're available
in all sizes (in other words, even the guys who ride 58cm will have to wait).

Another question you might ask is why a number of teams at the SF Grand Prix were riding the latest
& greatest Bontrager carbon wheels, but US Postal was riding the standard aluminum ones.

> Any other ideas or confirmation?

Maybe it is because Dura-Ace 10 speed has not been debuted in the States?

Dave