T-Mobile retain sponsorship

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by JoshuaBoy, Aug 9, 2007.

1. JoshuaBoy

JoshuaBoy New Member

2. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

I know what some folks on this forum will say (the T Mobile lies continue) but I'm glad this team didn't fold. This year they sacked Honchar, busted Sinkewitz, kept on a DS who admitted he had doped as a rider (that's distinctly the opposite of the previous omerta policy of isolating anyone who confesses), put a vocally anti-doping young German in yellow, and brought the bright hope Cavendish to the world's attention. They are not perfect, nobody, no one team is - but I reckon the sport would be worse off without them.

3. poulidor

poulidor New Member

It's good that T-Mobile don't flee when cycling needs help. I would be easier to left in a such situation. It's good for others teams who are seeking for sponsors.

4. Cobblestones

Cobblestones New Member

This should be good news for everyone. You might think of T-Mobile, Aldag, Sinkewitz etc. whatever you want, but in the end, without sponsors there won't be much racing to watch. :( Along the same line, I hope some new sponsor will pick up the old Disco team.

5. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

6. wilmar13

wilmar13 New Member

I can't believe there was no mention of the true reason T-Mobile decided to remain in cycling.... Stapleton successfully signed a 2008 TdF GC contender with George Hincapie! ;)

7. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

really? (I don't doubt not the contender bit, that's been true for years ;)) But they signed him? Are T Mobile looking for someone to publicise the fact that they have increased their cell phone reception in ditches across Europe?

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Why shouldn't they stay? They are in control ,politically.

9. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

T Mobile aren't in it to play the power politics game cycling. It's about publicity and they have many riders on their books who are part of the alleged new young, clean generation. If the team was the old team with the likes of Ulle, Klodi, Vino etc they would be waving goodbye. These new, young, clean (allegedly) riders are fresh, ripe assets that can be milked for publicity.

10. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It's the same thing.

11. Rolfrae

Rolfrae New Member

So you mean, their assets mean they have political control within the cycling world and can therefore use it to their benefit to gain further publicity? If that's what you mean then I agree :))). I just don't think they'd stick around to play a political game for the sake of the game; there needs to be an end result for them and that needs to be positive publicity.

T-Mobile - defenders of youth and innocence, enemy of doping, defenders of truth, saviours of cycling. Think I might change phone networks... :rolleyes:

12. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Yes we are pretty much in agreement. It's all about the money and always will be.

13. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

My wife bought me a TMO jersey for my birthday this year : she knows nothing about cycling, I might add !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

1. Sponsors are in cycling for exposure. They could give a flying fig about controlling the UCI.

2. I am happy they are staying on. A big name sponsor is good for cycling.

3. It is obvious to all that they are 100% clean. They have young riders who say they would never dope, so it must be true.

15. jonjungel

jonjungel New Member

Irony I guess, but I'll bite anyway :).

Not 100% clean I agree. But my impression is they are trying to be, atleast. That is more than some other teams, and should be applauded.

16. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

That will go nicely with your Slipstream kit.

Alternating cover-up laundry.

17. Klodifan

Klodifan New Member

Yes, TM will lead the way with their new generation of "clean" cyclists as Linus and Mark are the annoited ones.

One day, I'd love to read a tell-all account from Eule. Wishingful thinking, I know. It'll never happen...

18. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

I wish they would have pulled out, opened the flood gate for all sponosrs to leave, then it would change cycling.

19. saluki

saluki New Member

Most of the rest of the world is not wrapped up in the doping that goes on in cycling. So being an anti-doping champion may get you a little publicity for a while; but if you don't also get results, there won't be much long term advertising value for the buck.

20. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

"Wir sind sauber"