T-Mobile starts to implode!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Serafino, May 23, 2007.

1. Serafino

Serafino New Member

Bölts and Schmid admit doping involvement

Ex-pro racer Udo Bölts and physician Dr. Andreas Schmid admitted to involvement in doping Wednesday according to the Radsport-aktiv.

Bölts said he took EPO and growth hormones to increase his output on the bike while riding for Team Telekom (later T-Mobile). He admitted to doping in 1996 in order to make the team's Tour de France squad. Bölts retired in 2003 and is now a director sportif at Gerolsteiner. He has taken part in twelve consecutive Tours de France, from 1992 to 2003. In 1996 and 1997, he was a key domestique for two teammates and winners of the Tour, Bjarne Riis and Jan Ullrich.

Already suspended from his role as team doctor for T-Mobile, Freiburg sporting doctor Schmid admitted to having been involved in the doping practices of riders on the Telekom team, and its successor, T-Mobile, beginning in the mid-1990's. "I admit to having supported the doping of individual pro racers since the mid-1990's," said Schmid according to the dpa. He is considering terminating his role as a sport physician at the University hospital of Freiburg.

Doctors Andreas Schmid and Lothar Heinrich were both named by former soigneur Jef d'Hont in his book as having provided illegal doping products to Team Telekom members during the 1996 Tour de France. The two are facing an investigation by the Freiburg, Germany, prosecutor's office. Both have already been suspended by Team T-Mobile and are under investigation by the University Clinic Freiburg.

Schmid's admission represents a change tune. He denied charges of being involved in doping last week and had said, "I reject the charges made against me by the Belgian former soigneur. They have no basis in fact. I have never given athletes EPO or growth hormones, provided it to athletes or so-called soigneurs or sent an athlete a plan for the use of doping preparations, nor prepared such a plan."

Any more proof needed that Bob Stapleton and the rest of the T-Mobile management a hypocritical?

The T-Mobile Team has called a press conference for Thursday mid-day, at which Sport Director Rolf Aldag is expected to confess to having used doping products while riding for the team in the mid-1990s. Team manager Bob Stapleton flew back Wednesday from Italy to Germany to prepare for the ordeal, and indicated that Aldag would not be fired.

"I think that Rolf is very committed and very much supports what we are doing now," Stapleton told the Süddeutsche Zeitung. "He simply had a moment of weakness and now we have to see that we all come out of it and continue on with him."

"Of course we had a few personal things to talk about between ourselves," he continued. "But everything that he has done has convinced me and was practically perfect. He hasn't made any mistakes in his current activity as Sport Director." However, Stapleton noted, "he should of course have been more open about his past, that's clear. But it is my plan to continue working with Rolf. He is still the best choice for the position, and he is still capable of doing the job."

No mistakes? Lies about drug use, hypocritical attackts on Jan, and allowing admitted doping doctor(s) to work with the team I suppose constitutes the "new way forward" for T-Mobile.

Tags:

2. azdroptop

azdroptop New Member

No bie surprise.

3. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

4. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

It's all the the wheel and it all comes around.

5. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

The rumor mill says: Tomorrow Riis will out himself at a press conference in Copenhagen.

6. zlatan

zlatan New Member

not a singel day too late

7. Serafino

Serafino New Member

What we need is a fresh start. Full confessions from everyone (hopefully) and a new way forward.

Good for Zabel. He sounded sincere in his contrition especially concerning his son who now rides.

Hopefully, Milram (and other teams) will embrace people who come forward and not "punish" those who willingly open up the past and set the basis for a better future.

Otherwise, the culture of silence will continue .....

8. zlatan

zlatan New Member

i will be very funny to hear what hemotraict riis hade in 96

9. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

Well, I think in the spirit of 1996 he decided to shoot for a 96.

10. zlatan

zlatan New Member

haha:D:D:D:D:D:D

hmm my guess is about 69:)

11. rob of the og

rob of the og New Member

What's the betting that he says that he only started using in 1997? And felt so guilty about it that it's haunted him ever since and led to him managing a completely clean Team CSC. Or that he found it didn't work for him, or basically any other crap that makes it look like he's coming clean but that allows him to keep his Tour win and his job at CSC? If Riis comes out and admits that he had blood like golden syrup when he won the TdF then I'll be stunned.

12. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

In Germany the konsequenses of the scandal gets bigger and bigger. The university Freiburg stop the ccoperation with 1500 atheletes in various disciplines:
    http://www.spiegel.de/sport/sonst/0,1518,484786,00.html

13. helmutRoole2

helmutRoole2 New Member

What was their reasoning?

14. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Well, the former leader of the institution for sports medicine, professor Keul, did research in...
    But they are not saying that that's the reason.

15. ad9898

ad9898 New Member

mmm well i reckon in 96 his blood was so thick that if he had cut himself he wouldn't of bled.....so i reckon 96 sounds about right give or take the odd one :D

16. earth_dweller

earth_dweller New Member

I will believe that it's for real (that the folks involvedin cycling really want to clean it up as opposed to a marketing ploy) when Bruyneel finally tells the truth

17. Serafino

Serafino New Member

Wouldn't it be ironic is USPS/DC was the only "clean" team
    :D

(Save for Frankie of course .....)

18. Leafer

Leafer New Member

...and Jonathan and Roberto and Tyler and Floyd.

19. Serafino

Serafino New Member

Sadly, some are seduced by the drug culture on Spanish, Danish and Swiss teams
    :D

How could they have lost their way after leaving USPS/DC?

Truly sad :(

20. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member