T-Mobile's strategy for the Alps

On 8 Jul 2005 14:07:33 -0700, "Bill C" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Vino's a tough call. I'd bet either DC for a few years, or CSC. He
>wants to win and needs to do it soon, so the only place I can see him
>going is to a top contender that will promise him the leaders spot for
>the Tour.
>
>> >And Jan gets slammed again, but I'm gonna start a new thread.

>> Well I think after this tour he'll be tempted to retire, especially if he's
>> out of the top ten - which he well may be.
>>
>> jj
>>

> I think he's going to be back on the podium, but unless something
>happens to Lance I just can't see him winning. If he's off the podium
>it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see him retire.

According to reports, he's been wanting to retire and open up a shop for at
least the last year but doesn't want to disappoint his fans or something.

> If he does Vino may stay at T-Mobile as the leader there.

I tend to doubt it. Just consider the offers that he'll be getting to go to
CSC, which, imo is a much better run team, heh, that actually has a plan.
I'm not sure why I think this, but I'd guess that 'compatibility' would be
an important factor - you know similar training philosophy. I can see DC
offering him a huge contract if he gets second - as you know they tend to
'buy' their team as opposed to training up young riders (though they're
doing that also). Does Vino get along well with others? ;-)

>If Jan disappoints again I think
>it's finally going to be enough for team management to say to Jan your
>not our team leader anymore and I'm really not sure whether he'd stay
>to support his friends, which IMO is a solid possibility, or just retires.

The thing is, people are so 'big' on Jan that he'll really have to stink to
high heaven for people to say 'he has disappointed'. He'll be welcomed back
by T-Mobile if he makes the top ten, and heh, he'll be happy with that.
(pardon the slight sarcasm).

In his defense, I'd have to say that -during- the actual tour, he really
tries hard, and puts in his maximum effort. The trouble seems to be that
though he's got deep talent, he hadn't been training enough to find those
'extraordinary efforts' that a superbly trained rider can find within
themselves, often surprisingly rising above their previous level as they
peak during the event..

jj

On Fri, 08 Jul 2005 17:47:11 -0400, Jet<[email protected]> wrote:

>In his defense, I'd have to say that -during- the actual tour, he really
>tries hard, and puts in his maximum effort. The trouble seems to be that
>though he's got deep talent, he hadn't been training enough to find those
>'extraordinary efforts' that a superbly trained rider can find within
>themselves, often surprisingly rising above their previous level as they
>peak during the event..
>
>jj
>
>>Bill C

What? Just days before the tour started he was training so hard that
he ran over a car!

;-)

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Survival of the fittest ?
>
> Or do they have something slightly more sophisticated planned this
> time ?

I think their strategy is "Use the fat guy and the skinny guy to gain all
the advertising we can while Armstrong is winning the Tour de France."