Tabata's vs tradtional VO2's

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Hockey-cyclist, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Hockey-cyclist

Hockey-cyclist New Member

Ok...I've done Tabata intervals. I have done sets of 8. Yeah they are tough. However, how on earth can they be better, or even close to better, than 5X 5 VO2 traditional VO2 max intervals. I am talking about improvements in VO2 max here. I'll tell you what, I'd do Tabata's any day over 5 X 5 or 3 X 7 or any other combo of traditional VO2's. Why, because they are easier. That's my opinion and yes I did the Tabata's absolutely balls out. In my opinion there is nothing tougher than 5 X 5 on the trainer.

Also, in the Tabata study the dudes only started with about a 50 VO2 max...hardly trained athletes in my opinion. Surely the fact that the people in the study were not that well trained has something to do with the success of the Tabata's.

Boy. I'd like to hear from Dr. Coggan on this one.

Tags:

2. Felt_Rider

Felt_Rider Active Member

I find the study and paperwork on Tabata's interesting as well and have been doing a different form of them off and on for a while. I have not tried them on the bike and do not plan to. I would probably do the VO2 intervals similar to what you mention when I get to that point of my training period.

When I studied or searched for information on Tabata's earlier in the year I noticed that a lot of people made excellent short term gains in various sporting event training, but almost all said the long term impact was negative and some suggested harmful to long term success. After a few weeks many began to have problems and had to stop. I have seen more stating they had to stop doing them than I saw reporting they keep on a continued diet of Tabata's.

If VO2 intervals are harder than Tabata's are there people also stating a negative result after continuing for too long a period?

I am not really doing a true Tabata since I am skipping rope like a boxer and it is hard to go full out like sprinting a hill, but it is still very taxing to my heart and yet not impacting the same muscle groups that are getting stressed by continual training in or near the sweet spot. About 8 sets of those seem to be all that I can handle in one session though before I begin to start tripping over the rope and gasping for air. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Anyway, I like the topic and would also be interested in seeing further discussion.