Tack Training

Brad Wadlow

Nov 15, 2004
Hello All!

I need some advice and this looks like the best place to ask. Im going to start track racing next spring. I have done enough road racing and mountain bike racing to know that I am a sprinter for sure. Im giving it all up for the velodrome next year and I was wondering what kind of training programs most of you guys use. I have a good idea of what "I think" I need to do but I would like to hear any suggestions you may have to offer. I am especially interested in the volume and frequency aspect of a good program. I am 5' 9" 195 lbs and about 6% bodyfat if that makes any difference. Thanks a ton in advance guys.

I am in the same boat as you. Sprinter heading to the track next year. i would like to hear some educated advice on off season training for track sprinting too.
So far I have concluded that you need to lift weights, and build a base of aerobic conditioning.

velomanct said:
I am in the same boat as you. Sprinter heading to the track next year. i would like to hear some educated advice on off season training for track sprinting too.
So far I have concluded that you need to lift weights, and build a base of aerobic conditioning.

if you have some specific type questions, then ask away. I coach world class track sprinters/kilo riders

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
if you have some specific type questions, then ask away. I coach world class track sprinters/kilo riders

ric
Okay. During the off-season, how many hours a week on the bike do you have the sprint/kilo guys do? What about intensity? Do you have them continue with the hard efforts on the bike? (not as much as in season of course)
I am thinking doing only one hard weight session a week, to let the legs fully recover.

I am not using a coach like I said a few months ago. I would consider RST, but money is an issue, and I am located in the states.

velomanct said:
Okay. During the off-season, how many hours a week on the bike do you have the sprint/kilo guys do? What about intensity? Do you have them continue with the hard efforts on the bike? (not as much as in season of course)
I am thinking doing only one hard weight session a week, to let the legs fully recover.

for instance, around now i have people do weights 3 per week. up to six road sessions per week, and several sprint/velodrome workouts a week of varying intensity. intensity tends to stay up there (although the focus of the sessions may change), but the volume and frequency of the sessions decreases. also, these are world class sprinters, so the volume and intensity maybe much higher than others have experienced. also, to clarify, i have them do split days sessions (i.e., sessions morning and evening).
[/quote]

I am located in the states.
that isn't a problem -- i coach people all over the world!

ric

velomanct said:

I am not using a coach like I said a few months ago. I would consider RST, but money is an issue, and I am located in the states.
I'm in the states too....we're everywhere!