Taco test?

Johns

Guest
My understanding (from reading the book) is that the taco test only works for "standard" (box? 420
gram?) rims with 32 or more spokes. What if you're building with 24? Or a "deep" rim that weighs
500+ grams?

Uh, the best or worst rider can taco any wheel. The measures you describe are meaningless if
everything is a variable. Please provide more data.

news:[email protected]...

waxxer wrote:
> Uh, the best or worst rider can taco any wheel. The measures you describe are meaningless if
> everything is a variable. Please provide more data.

I think he means the taco test to check if spoke tensions are good when building the wheel..?

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 16:43:23 +0000, waxxer wrote:

> Uh, the best or worst rider can taco any wheel. The measures you describe are meaningless if
> everything is a variable. Please provide more data.

You miss his point. The point was that a test of whether or not you had tightened the spokes too
much was if, upon stress-relieving, the wheel taco'd. It is not a question of tacos that occur
during riding, all caused by crashes I would hope. Any wheel that spontaneously tacos on a ride
should have been tested out first.

> "JohnS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My understanding (from reading the book) is that the taco test only works for "standard" (box?
>> 420 gram?) rims with 32 or more spokes. What if you're building with 24? Or a "deep" rim that
>> weighs 500+ grams?

What this is addressing is that the popular heavy, deep-V rims with very few spokes ought to be able
to tolerate a lot more tension. OTOH, they need a lot more tension, since they have so few spokes.
My presumption is that this would balance out, and you would use the same test to see whether or not
the wheel was too tight.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | The lottery is a tax on those who fail to understand _`\(,_ | mathematics. (_)/ (_) |

news:[email protected]...

John S? writes surreptitiously:

> My understanding (from reading the book) is that the taco test only works for "standard" (box? 420
> gram?) rims with 32 or more spokes. What if you're building with 24? Or a "deep" rim that weighs
> 500+ grams?

You mean the max tension test I assume. Deep section, low spoke-count wheels usually need and have
such great bridging strength between spokes that their cross section exceeds any compressive load
the spoke complement can achieve. Therefore, when building with such rims, you'll need a tensiometer
to know when tension is reasonably high.

Having half as many spokes, they usually need twice the spoke tension or more. That's why most of
these wheels use large cross section spokes that hide their size by being flattened, purportedly for
aerodynamic reasons. This flatness makes tensioning more difficult for their lack of torsional
stiffness.

Why do we do this to ourselves at great expense? I know. To set the World Hour Record! What else?
The fewest of these users are racers in contention for any award.

<[email protected]> wrote in message ...

>> Why do we do this to ourselves at great expense? I know. To set the
> World Hour Record! What else? The fewest of these users are racers in contention for any award.

As usual I don't know what you're trying to say, but I must add, I really look good riding the
Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Zipp 404s.

People get checked out on group rides, and I'll tell you something, there's no way you would want
to show up for one of my events riding something lame like box section 32 conventional spoked
Mavic MA3 rims.

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:38:59 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>People get checked out on group rides, and I'll tell you something, there's no way you would want
>to show up for one of my events riding something lame like box section 32 conventional spoked Mavic
>MA3 rims.

Yeah, cause whether you win or lose is much less important than how you look doing it.

Jasper

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:38:59 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>People get checked out on group rides, and I'll tell you something, there's no way you would want
>to show up for one of my events riding something lame like box section 32 conventional spoked Mavic
>MA3 rims.

By the way, how about halfradial and cros foot spoke patterns on otherwise ordinary wheels?

Jasper

I seriously doubt that Jobst really cares about how his bike looks on group rides because I surely
don't. I show up all the time with MA2's, SuperChampion mod. 58's, and even the old 27" Mavic Module
"E" when I'm feeling "retro".

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, Jasper Janssen <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:38:59 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >People get checked out on group rides, and I'll tell you something, there's no way you would want
> >to show up for one of my events riding something lame like box section 32 conventional spoked
> >Mavic MA3 rims.
>
> Yeah, cause whether you win or lose is much less important than how you look doing it.

Given my racing performances, I sure hope so.

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message ...
>
> >> Why do we do this to ourselves at great expense? I know. To set the
> > World Hour Record! What else? The fewest of these users are racers in contention for any award.
>
> As usual I don't know what you're trying to say, but I must add, I really look good riding the
> Visco-Elastic Constrained Layer Zipp 404s.

Preach on, sistah!

Who cares if you're slow as balls? As long as you look good on a bike, everyone will respect you.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 23:03:02 GMT, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>> By the way, how about halfradial and cros foot spoke patterns on otherwise ordinary wheels?
>
>Do you really think you have the right stuff to show up for one of my group rides?

Dude, I'm not on the wrong continent, let alone the right country, and I

Jasper

In article <[email protected]>, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:rcousine->
> > Given my racing performances, I sure hope so.
>
> How was it out there last Tuesday evening?

The bad news was I got dropped on the "climb" after a couple of credible laps riding near the front
of the pack. The good news is that meant I missed out on the crash that took out the back half of
the Novice peloton a few laps later. I spent the rest of the race towing a really young junior down
the hill and getting pulled up the hill by him. Then he beat me by a rim in the finishing sprint!

I didn't stay around to watch much of the subsequent races. Next week I'm going to do an early break
off the front and make those hill-climbing jerks catch me.

I think you ride for a team with tasteful burgundy and white jerseys. Am I right?

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:10:47 -0700, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> from WAC Bennett Review of Arts
and Literature wrote:

>I think you ride for a team with tasteful burgundy and white jerseys. Am I right?

Do they have pictures of dinosaurs on them?

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace It's the RINSE CYCLE!! They've ALL IGNORED
the RINSE CYCLE!!

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message

> Do they have pictures of dinosaurs on them?

I know what jersey you're referring to, this season the 'Saurus' graphic has been greatly reduced in
size compared to last season's jersey and a natural spring water company logo takes the prime spot
on the jersey.

But that's just some amateur team of old guys, forget those lamers.

Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:43:29 GMT, <[email protected]>, A partially
fossilised, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
>>
>> Do they have pictures of dinosaurs on them?
>>
>I know what jersey you're referring to, this season the 'Saurus' graphic has been greatly reduced
>in size compared to last season's jersey and a natural spring water company logo takes the prime
>spot on the jersey.
>
>But that's just some amateur team of old guys, forget those lamers.

Fab, even old amateurs get lots of action when they go totally reptilian. You'd be surprised how
curiously the tourist babes react when they take your for one of those alien lizard shape-shifters!

Honestly, I thought the 'Saurus' graphic was cool but a bit too tame.

Get yourself into full veloraptor gear and keep those lamers off your wheel with a 5' tail.

http://www.monkeywrenchcafe.org/cm/pic/foto/dino/bike_lane_suspect.jpg
--
zk

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 22:45:36 -0700, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> from Balsa Pacific Aero Ltd.
Engineering & Bicycle Mongery wrote:

>Sun, 22 Jun 2003 17:43:29 GMT, <[email protected]>, A partially
>fossilised, "Fabrizio Mazzoleni" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Do they have pictures of dinosaurs on them?
>>>
>>I know what jersey you're referring to, this season the 'Saurus' graphic has been greatly reduced
>>in size compared to last season's jersey and a natural spring water company logo takes the prime
>>spot on the jersey.
>>
>>But that's just some amateur team of old guys, forget those lamers.
>>
>Fab, even old amateurs get lots of action when they go totally reptilian. You'd be surprised how
>curiously the tourist babes react when they take your for one of those alien lizard shape-shifters!
>
>Honestly, I thought the 'Saurus' graphic was cool but a bit too tame.
>
>Get yourself into full veloraptor gear and keep those lamers off your wheel with a 5' tail.
>
>http://www.monkeywrenchcafe.org/cm/pic/foto/dino/bike_lane_suspect.jpg

I have good news for you people: I am in the preliminary planning stages for a visit to Vancouver to
scout out the lay of the land for eventual emigration and immigration, depending on where you are.
Bike riding will be high on my list of things to do. In fact, it will be no. 1. My wife wants
seafood. I think we'll both be happy.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace HUGH BEAUMONT died in 1982!!
1:14:14 AM 23 June 2003

"Kevan Smith" <[email protected]/\/\> wrote in message
>Bike riding will be high on my list of things to do. In fact, it will be no. 1

Just make sure you hook up with the proper group. Even Vancouver has it's share of recreational /
commuter types and other kooks. Don't join a large club as these groups always seem to let the wrong
types in. It's best to form your own elite team and then you have total control on who starts the
ride and who goes home.

There are only two real bike shops in Vancouver, the other shops are the kind that sell stuff that
Zoot would be interested in. You want to only go in bike shops that have all the bare road frames
hanging from the ceiling and don't welcome customers like Zoot's type.

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:14:34 -0500, <[email protected]>, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]/\/\> wrote:

>I have good news for you people: I am in the preliminary planning stages for a visit to Vancouver
>to scout out the lay of the land for eventual emigration and immigration, depending on where you
>are. Bike riding will be high on my list of things to do. In fact, it will be no. 1. My wife wants
>seafood. I think we'll both be happy.

If the IOC decides to foist their circus on us for 2010, I'm going to Victoria. Check out that town
too. Beat the rush.

Lemme know when you're coming and I'll have a dino ready in your size.
--
zk