Tacx I - Genius advice

Cube1959

May 23, 2013
Hi going to order a Tacx i - Genius this week .. Just got best prices so far of £888 for the Genius without the black track and multi player and one of £1004 with .. Can anyone who has one tell me if it is really worth getting one with .. I don't really see it will make so much difference .. cheers Rog

Originally Posted by Cube1959 .

Make that £936 for the Genius with steering from probike ..
wouldn't touch it, I can think of many things I rather drop a grand on.

Ok .. cheers .. does no one own one of these .. and can offer any advice .. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

Originally Posted by Cube1959 .

Ok .. cheers .. does no one own one of these .. and can offer any advice .. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
It's a telling sign IMO.

Well i went ahead after finding the Tacx i - genius mulit player for £799 at planet x bikes , and i have to say i am happy i took no notice of the lack of reply's .. It is an amazing bit of kit .. yes it's not cheap , a m8 has a normal turbo and said he finds it very hard to motivate himeself to use it as he just looks at the wall .. As money wasn't an issue for me , the choise was very easy once i found it over £200 less than anywhere else ..

the wheel turning feature is more like an x-box game... otherwise it looks fun

" As money wasn't an issue for me , the choise was very easy once i found it over £200 less than anywhere else .."

I like the cut of your jib, sir!

Please keep us informed of how well it holds up and, of course, how much fun you have racing the computer screen.

Originally Posted by vspa .

the wheel turning feature is more like an x-box game... otherwise it looks fun
Hi VSPA .... To be honest the black track isn't needed for the real live vids , it's for virtual multi player , not used that side of it yet .. But do find my self turning the wheel on the RLV .. I only got it with because at £799 , i would not reg the multi player yet , and if in a couple of months i don't think it worth keeping the black track i can sell the track and license for around £200 ... This price was less than i could find just the i - genius for ..
Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .

" As money wasn't an issue for me , the choice was very easy once i found it over £200 less than anywhere else .."

I like the cut of your jib, sir!

Please keep us informed of how well it holds up and, of course, how much fun you have racing the computer screen.
Hi Campybob

Will do , it is great ( so far ) I suffer from the same illness as Darren Fletcher the Man Utd player ( Colitis ) , have done for around 30 years .. 3 years ago it got worse , 6 months ago i decided to try and get fitter , I'm 53 and watched my Dad huff and Puff since i can remember , i thought i won't be like that , The hospital are trying to get my colitis under more control , but on days when i have a bad day and simply can't be away from a toilet i don't go out on the bike , High winds keep me indoors , and of course snow and ice , Rain and cold doesn't bother me .. But there are days i have to stay indoors , and i love being out on my bike .. I am in a great position where i no longer go out to work , my wife is high up at Lloyds and i look after our son and do some wedding and portrait photography ..

Yesterday i went out for a small 15 mile ride , came back had dinner , did 15k round Paris .. picked the lad up from school , cleaned the house cooked dinner , my wife and son went swimming and i did another 15k round Rome .. lol .. The vids give you information about the city as you go along .. Again another advantage i have an 8ft screen i can put the picture on in our photography studio / Fun room ..

Advice .... don't rush out and buy one .. Demo one in a shop , at the price i got this for , the loss second hand wouldn't be that great .. I will keep you posted ... Rog

Update on the Tacx .. Massive fun , If i go out i have a 50 mile route i now do , If i don't i have any number of rides , from RLV to virtual rides .. I have been doing paris 18 mile trip , that takes 48 mins .. Just done a great workout over 100 laps of the velodrome .. 14.6 miles in 36 mins .. I can't say how much fun it is , My wife is now using it on the days the swimming baths is closed , She gets up at 5.30 to do 30 mins before work ..

Great! It has to be more fun than a boring trainer or rollers. It's about time for you to enter the Giro or Tour De France!

Great! It has to be more fun than a boring trainer or rollers. It's about time for you to enter the Giro or Tour De France!
Lol ..Not quite , .... Just did 100 laps 14.6 miles round a velodrome in 36 mins ,.. Just normal mode , but i found myself waving to the crowd as i came how with a win .. LMAO !! It is far far better than looking at a wall or the floor Bob , I wouldn't do 10 mins on a normal one .. This gives you a goal ..

I did 50 miles on the road yesterday , so the legs are a little sore ...
big-smile.png

Cube1959 said:
Lol ..Not quite , ....  Just did 100 laps 14.6 miles round a velodrome in 36 mins ,..
around a 25 mph average speed, well done

Originally Posted by vspa .

around a 25 mph average speed, well done
M8 , it is a fantastic bit of kit , the legs know all about it today
grin.png
... Alyson has just been on it , I laughed and said i'll get you a towel !!!
evil.png
.. She managed 50 laps in 22 mins , she is now sat looking dazed .. I have around 20 RLV including , Paris , Rome , Black forrest , Alps , training with saxo banks etc .. + some Virtual ones ..
I appreciate it's a lot of money , But if you find it at the right price then the loss is minimal if it doesn't work out .. And to get this kind of thing i would need to join a gym at £30 + a month , so after 2 years it's paid for and i still have it worth money if i want to sell .. As i say .. I could not be bothered to use a normal turbo .. It just dosn't get boring like a normal trainer ..

Glad to hear you like the device. What's the point in money if you can't spend it on stuff you want.

Originally Posted by Yojimbo_ .

Glad to hear you like the device. What's the point in money if you can't spend it on stuff you want.
It's fantastic , did the Velodrome again last night .. While our son is off school it's hard to get out in the week , i like to spend time as a family when my wife is in ... So it's been great for that .
Spot on about the money , People make comments like " I can think of better things to drop a grand on " Ok that is a choice .. This was mine .. Over the last 5 years both my parents have gone , My wife's parents have been ill , her sister had cancer ., My brother dies aged 24 , I myself am ill with colitis , . When i said i am getting a bike she said , if you want it do it , Then all the kit to go with it garmin etc , then the Tacx , she said we are here once .. Go for it ! .. My plan is to get as fit as i can and do Lands end to John o groats in two years time .. This has to help , At least i hope it does , cause as they say no pain no gain ... And there is plenty of pain .. LOL !

Cube, great attitude and I'm sorry for the loss of your parents and brother.

" What's the point in money if you can't spend it on stuff you want."

You got it, Yojimbo!

Live today.

Cube, great attitude and I'm sorry for the loss of your parents and brother.

"[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)] What's the point in money if you can't spend it on stuff you want."[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]You got it, Yojimbo![/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]Live today.[/COLOR]
Cheers Bob ! . . I'm having a laugh with it as well m8 .. I'm an Armstrong , so i sent my wife a little report and photo to work this morning's workout .. I was huting but the turbo with virtual or RLV keeps you going .. The Velodrome has Virtual riders . I was up against two , and it does push you , When one comes past you go that bit harder to close the gap .. Oh here is my report i sent .. LMAO !!

It's a win for Armstrong in the Velodrome shattering his PB time of 35.13 with a blistering 34.02 .. Armstrong rode through the pain for 100 laps .. The lead changed hands several times , and at one point it looked as though the dream had gone , As first Sharon and then Carl made a break !! But Armstrong still had something left in the tank .. Fighting back tears an emotional Armstrong said " This is for my family , they have supported me all the way , and it's also for every Armstrong out there who felt our name was blackened by Lance .. He then punched the air and shouted live strong ..