TACX i-magc vs. Computrainer

I just was dealing with this question as well. I thought that the imagic or fortius would be more "fun" and help keep me motivated (the fortius will even spin the wheel on downhills which is cool, but i want a good, quick workout on the trainer, not gliding down the sides of mountains). But the computrainer had things like being able to build a course based on GPS data so i could ride race courses before hand, or train on them a few times before the race. Also i felt like the computrainer was more of a "lab tool" than an interactive video game. My coach can build and send me the erg files so i can just hop on and do the exact specified workout. In the end i decided that the computrainer would be a performance enhancing tool that would be useful the entire year, whereas the imagic would be a toy to keep my motivation up through the winter, so i ordered my cputrainer 1.5 weeks ago, can't wait for it to get here.

I've had my CT for amost 2 years now. The ability to use GPS files, as well as my own ERG files has proven to be invaluabe. when I got the CT, my FT was an embarassing 160. My latest test has me at 224. Not were I want to be, but I'm real happy with the progress. I agree...the CT is a great training tool.

gregkeller said:
I just was dealing with this question as well. I thought that the imagic or fortius would be more "fun" and help keep me motivated (the fortius will even spin the wheel on downhills which is cool, but i want a good, quick workout on the trainer, not gliding down the sides of mountains). But the computrainer had things like being able to build a course based on GPS data so i could ride race courses before hand, or train on them a few times before the race. Also i felt like the computrainer was more of a "lab tool" than an interactive video game. My coach can build and send me the erg files so i can just hop on and do the exact specified workout. In the end i decided that the computrainer would be a performance enhancing tool that would be useful the entire year, whereas the imagic would be a toy to keep my motivation up through the winter, so i ordered my cputrainer 1.5 weeks ago, can't wait for it to get here.

The fortius is super fun with the Real Life Video

don't buy the Imagic as it can only simulate up to 5% uphill. Fortius goes to 20% !! which is really really heavy

there are some programs available to alter the profiles of the videos (you can flat out the descents to keep training

concerning the wheel spin. It does help on the downhills but you have to pedal anyway for safety reasons (spinning wheels could otherwise become very dangerous when no one is there)

Spunout said:
Tacx: Toy.

Computrainer: Tool.
Spunout,

This post, like all of your other posts, is very insightful and full of needed information.:rolleyes:

I think it is awesome that this "Toy" has helped get me from an FTP of ~285 to ~385 in 2 seasons.

could I have done this with the "Tool"? Probably.

I would not give up the Real Life Videos...

To be able to gain fitness, you must get on the bike. The Real Life Videos keep me motivated to get on the bike.

Mont Ventoux is my favorite interval video and I have done The Alpine Valley video, all 3+ hours, several times. This video finishes on top on Alpe d'huez.

I used to be brain-dead after 1 hour on a regular trainer. I feel mentally fresh after riding the I-Magic...

As far as only being able to simulate 5%...This has been able to handle anything that I throw at it...

Good enough for me...

Jim

It is a neat toy, a functional trainer, and does the job for some. From a coaching/training/analytic point of view the CT solves a different need.

Spunout said:
It is a neat toy, a functional trainer, and does the job for some. From a coaching/training/analytic point of view the CT solves a different need.
What, pray tell, can a CT do that an I-magic can't?

Jim

I like the computrainer for the fact I can load all of my upcoming races. The Topographic software let's you highlight the course, then load it into the CT. It is a very useful function since I often travel to race courses that I haven't seen.

Real videos would be a nice addition. Too bad someone doesn't come up with a trainer that has all the functions of these two.

Spunout said:

can't imagine one thing the computrainer can do the Fortius can't . Did you ever see one ?
Otherwise if you have the opportunity buy the "tour of Lombardy RLV" , finish the 105 km and tell me it's "a toy".

If I read between the lines on the CompuTrainer forums, they are supposedly working on a RLV implementation of their own. Hope so!

larrynipon said:
I've had my CT for amost 2 years now. The ability to use GPS files, as well as my own ERG files has proven to be invaluabe. when I got the CT, my FT was an embarassing 160. My latest test has me at 224. Not were I want to be, but I'm real happy with the progress. I agree...the CT is a great training tool.
You can do this on Tacx also. Among many other things…

http://www.ownsports.net/tacxtools/index.html

Jore V said:
You can do this on Tacx also. Among many other things…

http://www.ownsports.net/tacxtools/index.html
1. Can it be programmed to conduct a MAP test, say a ramp rate of 5W every 12 seconds?

2. What's a good price for an I magic?

3. There seem to be a lot of extra wires hooked up to bike. Are they needed? I would be using a PT already to capture actual ride data, so don't need data from the tacx, just the ability to pre-programme specific sets.

Trainers / Power Meters / Cyclo Computers / Technical Stuff:

Those of us that like technical matters, number crunching, statistical analysis, online racing, ultra complex mathematical training sessions can find products on the marker that cater to their nerdy needs.

"Technophobic" inidividuals like myself (happy just to have adjustible resistance and calibrated power) who are happier with a more simple set up and just getting on the damn thing and riding can find less advanced models available.

it's pretty simple. Some people like tech features, others like a more simple set up. I don't think either really has any bearing on training effectiveness - that's down to how hard you're working.....

Alex Simmons said:
1. Can it be programmed to conduct a MAP test, say a ramp rate of 5W every 12 seconds?
http://lists.topica.com/lists/wattage/read/message.html?mid=913394724&sort=d&start=44150

FYI The Catalyst program for the Fortius can also work on the IMagic

Interesting what Phil says about the ability to do Laps in an upcoming release...

Alex Simmons said:
2. What's a good price for an I magic?
It seems to be ~$750 USD for the IMagic and ~$1000 USD for the Fortius. Maybe cheaper on EBay...

Alex Simmons said:
3. There seem to be a lot of extra wires hooked up to bike. Are they needed? I would be using a PT already to capture actual ride data, so don't need data from the tacx, just the ability to pre-programme specific sets.
I haven't found any issues with disconnecting the cadence pickup and wire. This is the only other wire that is attached to your bike other than the head unit.

Jim

hi all,
can't comment on the CT but i can share my experience with the i-magic.
for me it is the best tool ever (and i do have a power meter on my bikes...)
i have been using the i-magic for a 3 seasons, before the RLV's came along.
for those who do not know the i-magic (or fortius) i can divide its basic functions into 3 categories: VR training (which i don't like that much, it is, i admit, a bit "toyish"). the Catalist where you can program race course based on grade/length, you can program power/grade/time based intervals in increments of 10W/10sec. or program any test protocol you want. you can import GPS files using the http://www.ownsports.net/tacxtools/index.html link.
the best feature is most definately the RLV's, those are pleasure to ride (well, depend if climbing the galibier is your idea of pleasure :) ) i totally agree with stevevinck regarding the lombardy Rlv, awsome...
i can't see myself riding 4-5 hours on any other machine, and winter's coming soon...
for the training/coaching/analyzing techies among us (me included) you can import tacx files to cyclingpeaks WKO+ (another great product) thru conversion to .hrm files (very soon you'll be able to load tacx files directly to WKO+ according to allen hunter from cyclingpeaks).
as far as the 5% grade limit on the i-magic it has never been a problem for me as i climb in the 53 ring and producing the (limited...) power/cadence that i can sustain. i did compare files from several real rides up alpine mountains to the rlv rides of the same mountains and it was very close in term of time length and power output. there are much more to the i-magic, like the ability to download rides from others and use them as a "carrot" for you to chase and there is a whole comunity with races and lots and lots of other stuff going (try http://imagic.e-cycling.se/index.php)
sorry for the long first post.
ori

Rocket^ said:
I like the computrainer for the fact I can load all of my upcoming races. The Topographic software let's you highlight the course, then load it into the CT. It is a very useful function since I often travel to race courses that I haven't seen.

Real videos would be a nice addition. Too bad someone doesn't come up with a trainer that has all the functions of these two.
You can also import any Polar or GPS google earth etc based file with Altitude info into a Tacx pgmf profile & ride it with the Catalyst software.At this time this is using free 3rd party programs but Tacx is also adding this function as a web based tool.

The next update to the Tacx software will also export ride data direct to hrm format.

Other 'new stuff' for this winter includes,

a Lap function (so you can for example select a hill in a Real life video RLV & do hill repeats on it! or stick a descent onto the end of a RLV that finishes on a climb to cool down etc).

A % difficulty option so you can reduce the severity of a profile.

Information boxes that pop-up at points to let you know where the heck you are or the name of the hill etc (this is a option that can be turned off)

ErgoVideo a new type of video that uses the Fortius's powerful Ergometer to replicate the efforts of riders in the video so you feel 'your' in the group.

The wheel spinning feature is actually an extremely useful 'tool' for keeping that leg speed. Ive reached over 190rpm on the Fortius at the UK distributors office. Its something you will have a tough job doing with a mag trainer. It can generate about 25mph worth of inertia. So if you slightly under gear you can perfectly replicate a good motor pacing session. Your forced to keep cadence high to push against the wheels terminal velocity. Its cool stuff & as a Ex Belgium kermis racer I know how important it is to keep the focus on that speed during the winter...or you will suffer more & more as you lose the 'edge'. Combine the spinning with the groveling on 39x28 & you have a great workout that will leave your legs feeling like you have been out on the road.

hi phil
glad to see you here (i'm a newbee here..)
thanks for the great job you ( and others) are doing.
cant wait for the ergo video.
the lombardy Rlv is wonderful, i rode the whole thing yesterday as a preparation
for sunday's race (i'll be on the couch watching it on TV, ofcourse..) and i still can't walk straight :eek:.
keep up the good work
ori