Tacx i-Magic Courses

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by ccurry007, Oct 20, 2003.

1. ccurry007

ccurry007 New Member

i-Magic users. Take a look at this link...
    http://www.fitcentric.com/html/body_course_library.htm

I do not have my i-Magic yet (ordered, not here yet), but these look like courses I can buy and use if I buy the 'Netathlon' software.
    Can someone verify the correctness of that statement?
    How 'bout any 'love it, am buying more' type comments?

I've read in threads here that the course(s) in i-Magic leave a little to be desired. Actually, it's more of a finite terrain you have to ride in loops. I'll get tired of that, I'm sure. This looks like a possible alternative.

Thanks for any input.

Tags:

2. TTer

TTer New Member

I have a Tacx I-Magic the NA software. It is much better than the Tacx courses, much more varied and interesting. You can also ride on those courses with others via the internet, although you need to arrange ride times with others otherwise there aren't many online. See http://groups.yahoo.com/group/netathlonbicyclists/ for ride times etc..

3. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

i have a different unit, with the netathlon software (i.e., not tacx). do you know if i can still 'ride' with others over the net?

ric

4. TTer

TTer New Member

Yes, no reason why not Ric. Which unit do you have?

If you have a unit that varies resistance (e.g. Elite Axiom, CompuTrainer) then it will work with NetAthlon and NetAthlon will simulate the hills by varying resistance.

If your unit does not vary resistance you can still fit a speed/cadence sensor and ride on NetAthlon. Obviously it won't simulate hills, but you can still ride it (some do).

As regards riding online via the 'net. You will need to download some software called 'GameSpy Arcade'. That is how NetAthlon handles the racing over the 'net interface. You log in on GameSpy (it is free if you suffer the adverts) then go to the NetAthlon room (in the Sports section). You will see other rides on there (hopefully, usually some around about 7pm UK time) and you should be able to join in some of the public 'courses' (just double-click on one of the courses you want to ride -- firewall permitting). GameSpy will start NetAthlon and other riders will then appear.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help. I used NetAthlon quite often in the early part of this year and will be back riding online during the Winter.

5. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Originally posted by TTer, i responded with >>

Yes, no reason why not Ric. Which unit do you have?

>>excellent. I have Power Tap trainer that i'm beta testing

If you have a unit that varies resistance (e.g. Elite Axiom, CompuTrainer) then it will work with NetAthlon and NetAthlon will simulate the hills by varying resistance.

>>yes, mine varies resistance too!

As regards riding online via the 'net. You will need to download some software called 'GameSpy Arcade'. That is how NetAthlon handles the racing over the 'net interface. You log in on GameSpy (it is free if you suffer the adverts) then go to the NetAthlon room (in the Sports section). You will see other rides on there (hopefully, usually some around about 7pm UK time) and you should be able to join in some of the public 'courses' (just double-click on one of the courses you want to ride -- firewall permitting). GameSpy will start NetAthlon and other riders will then appear.

>>Thanks. got the game spy programme but hadn't used it yet and wasn't sure if you needed all the turbo trainers to be the same unit

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I will try to help. I used NetAthlon quite often in the early part of this year and will be back riding online during the Winter.

>>i used mine a lot over last winter too. and after todays awful weather i'm tempted to get back on it asap.

thanks
    ric

6. TTer

TTer New Member

Power Tap as in Graber? And the PowerTap power measuring hub? Interesting if it is... What will be the advantages of it (large flywheel? power display calibrated against a proper PT?) I guess you could tell me but then you'd have to kill me? :)

If it's a new trainer then it's likely NetAthlon isn't compatible with it just yet for varying the resistance. Obviously the software 'talks' to each trainer in a specific way, so they would need information from the manufacturer to control resistance on a new trainer. If it's electronically controlled though they no doubt will soon support it. If it is isn't supported you can still ride for the time being with a speed/cadence sensor (which I think you can get from FitCentric when you buy the NetAthlon software).

7. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Originally posted by TTer, i responded with >>

Power Tap as in Graber? And the PowerTap power measuring hub? Interesting if it is... What will be the advantages of it (large flywheel? power display calibrated against a proper PT?) I guess you could tell me but then you'd have to kill me? :)

Yes, PT/Graber. You don't need the PT hub for it, it estimates power in a similar way to other trainers. It's certainly the best feeling trainer i've used (better than the elite axiom, which felt really good). very nice bit of kit.

If it's a new trainer then it's likely NetAthlon isn't compatible with it just yet for varying the resistance. Obviously the software 'talks' to each trainer in a specific way, so they would need information from the manufacturer to control resistance on a new trainer. If it's electronically controlled though they no doubt will soon support it. If it is isn't supported you can still ride for the time being with a speed/cadence sensor (which I think you can get from FitCentric when you buy the NetAthlon software)

>>sorry, not sure if i confused the issue!! It's already compatible with netathlon -- it comes with netathlon! i was just unsure about the net/game spy hook up and whether you needed to use the same trainers.

thanks for your help
    ric

8. TTer

TTer New Member

Ah right, sounds all good to go then Ric. After installing NetAthlon from the CD, choose the option to Check for Updates just ensure you've got everything needed to ride online.

You just need GameSpy next, set up a free account, then go to the NetAthlon room in the Sports section. Try joining one of the running games to check your setup is working okay. Once you've done that you can join the online rides and shouldn't have any problems. Usually rides are around 7pm weekdays and other times for riders in the US, usually around 10 or 11am. Have fun!