Tacx jockey wheels.

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
So, well, yeah - should be picking up a pair of these sealed bearing doo-da's, today or tomorrow,
after work, like. Any good? Better than Shimano ones? Good idea to use the old floating Shimano one
I still have for the top (nearest to mech. body) one? - Heard that the lack of float in these things
can cause shifty shiftin' probs, although using the XTR selaed no-float bottom jockey (OooO!) wheel,
on the top position (OOooOOO!) of my LX rear mech posed no problems for me at all in my experience -
YMMV, for you, that is, but not for me, well, much, anyhow, prolly.......

saw, I wood b gratefull if NE1 wot nose theze wood advice me with there goode advise aboot those jox
weelz (tacx onze, that iz). ta

Shaun aRe

Shaun aRe - how wonderful to be 12 again for a minute........

| So, well, yeah - should be picking up a pair of these sealed bearing doo-da's, today or tomorrow,
| after work, like. Any good? Better than
Shimano
| ones? Good idea to use the old floating Shimano one I still have for the
top
| (nearest to mech. body) one? - Heard that the lack of float in these
things
| can cause shifty shiftin' probs, although using the XTR selaed no-float bottom jockey (OooO!)
| wheel, on the top position (OOooOOO!) of my LX rear mech posed no problems for me at all in my
| experience - YMMV, for you,
that
| is, but not for me, well, much, anyhow, prolly.......

Virtually every bike in my fleet has an XT top pulley wheel and a CNC alloy sealed pulley wheel at
the bottom. Despite what manufacturers say, only Shimano wheels float correctly in my experience.

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 2/13/2003

Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message

> | So, well, yeah - should be picking up a pair of these sealed bearing doo-da's, today or
> | tomorrow, after work, like. Any good? Better than
> Shimano
> | ones? Good idea to use the old floating Shimano one I still have for the
> top
> | (nearest to mech. body) one? - Heard that the lack of float in these
> things
> | can cause shifty shiftin' probs, although using the XTR selaed no-float bottom jockey (OooO!)
> | wheel, on the top position (OOooOOO!) of my LX
rear
> | mech posed no problems for me at all in my experience - YMMV, for you,
> that
> | is, but not for me, well, much, anyhow, prolly.......
>
> Virtually every bike in my fleet has an XT top pulley wheel and a CNC
alloy
> sealed pulley wheel at the bottom. Despite what manufacturers say, only Shimano wheels float
> correctly in my experience.

Cheers Nelson - didn't experience any real probs on the way into work this morning though (fitted
last night), but I'm carrying some Shimano wheels in my kit just incase.

Shaun aRe - Hey, at £6 a pop for two, not much loss if they don't work right, eh?

Shaun Rimmer wrote:

> Cheers Nelson - didn't experience any real probs on the way into work this morning though (fitted
> last night), but I'm carrying some Shimano wheels in my kit just incase.
>
> Shaun aRe - Hey, at £6 a pop for two, not much loss if they don't work right, eh?

I don't like cartridge jockyy wheels as they require as much or more maintenace as standard jockey
wheels but the maintenace is more of a pain and they only work better than standard jockey wheels
when clean and recently greased and work worse when full of mud.

Nothing beats the shimano ones with ceramic bushings and the little rubber seals.

--
D_D

D_D <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
>
> > Cheers Nelson - didn't experience any real probs on the way into work
this
> > morning though (fitted last night), but I'm carrying some Shimano wheels in my kit just incase.
> >
> > Shaun aRe - Hey, at £6 a pop for two, not much loss if they don't work right, eh?
>
> I don't like cartridge jockyy wheels as they require as much or more maintenace as standard jockey
> wheels but the maintenace is more of a pain and they only work better than standard jockey wheels
> when clean and recently greased and work worse when full of mud.

I can't see how - these are _sealed_ cartridge bearings. I would have to remove the _seals_ to
re-grease them. I would remove the _seals_, only to find there was grease already there, and no
room for more.

They were actually recommended by a guy from our MTB club, who now works at our LBS, and who rides
trials, and some DH as well as the usual XC. I was just checking here for any horror stories really,
and if I have any, you know I'll be sure to say so (I don't have a problem with stuff like that -
just 'cos I bought it, don't mean it's the biznuss).

> Nothing beats the shimano ones with ceramic bushings and the little rubber seals.

If you can find them, maybe.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe