Tacx Jockey Wheels

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Apr 10, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    A short while ago (mebbe 2-300 (mainly) road miles), I fitted a set of these 'ere Tacx 'sealed'
    bearing jockey wheels. Well, they worked great at first, but now, I've noticed the bearing have
    become sloppy. the things will now wobble thusly: \ to /, somewhat. This equates to quite a bit of
    wear. I'm sure they should have done this so quickly, and I fear they may not last as long as I'd
    hoped before becoming useless.

    Anyone else found them to be 'shite' for longevity?

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe

    > A short while ago (mebbe 2-300 (mainly) road miles), I fitted a set of these 'ere Tacx 'sealed'
    > bearing jockey wheels. Well, they worked great at first, but now, I've noticed the bearing have
    > become sloppy. the things will now wobble thusly: \ to /, somewhat. This equates to quite a bit of
    > wear. I'm sure they should have done this so quickly, and I fear they may not last as long as I'd
    > hoped before becoming useless.
    >
    > Anyone else found them to be 'shite' for longevity?
    >

    > Cheers!
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Ya they seem great at first but the bearings go in no time, they use a standard size you can replace
    easily but I'd stick with the original pulleys. Can't get them for SRAM derailleur anyway.

    --
    _________________________

  3. Nelson Binch

    Nelson Binch Guest

    | A short while ago (mebbe 2-300 (mainly) road miles), I fitted a set of
    these
    | 'ere Tacx 'sealed' bearing jockey wheels. Well, they worked great at
    first,
    | but now, I've noticed the bearing have become sloppy. the things will now wobble thusly: \ to /,
    | somewhat. This equates to quite a bit of wear. I'm sure they should have done this so quickly, and
    | I fear they may not last
    as
    | long as I'd hoped before becoming useless.
    |
    | Anyone else found them to be 'shite' for longevity?

    I'm going to have to give that couple with the recumbent tandem a call. They handed me a set of
    those and had me put them on the XT derailleur a couple months before the store closed.

    I've used Control Tech, Carmichael and one titec sealed bearing, CNC alloy pulleys on my rides with
    no problem. They just go on and on.

    ---
    http://intergalax.com

    Release Date: 4/8/2003

  4. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > A short while ago (mebbe 2-300 (mainly) road miles), I fitted a set of
    these
    > > 'ere Tacx 'sealed' bearing jockey wheels. Well, they worked great at
    first,
    > > but now, I've noticed the bearing have become sloppy. the things will
    now
    > > wobble thusly: \ to /, somewhat. This equates to quite a bit of wear.
    I'm
    > > sure they should have done this so quickly, and I fear they may not last
    as
    > > long as I'd hoped before becoming useless.
    > >
    > > Anyone else found them to be 'shite' for longevity?
    > >

    > > Cheers!
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > Ya they seem great at first but the bearings go in no time,

    Ya don't say! '.;~}~

    > they use a standard size you can replace easily

    OK, so the local bearing house will likely have them, yes?

    > but I'd stick with the original pulleys.

    Shimano ones?!? The bushed ones I find wear at an atrocious rate. The Shimano sealed ones seem to
    have good life (mate gave me his old one - teeth were fairly worn, but the bearing were OK and
    lasted me about 300 + O/R miles, thing is, I resent the price a little, and also, when I've tried to
    buy them here, everyone tells me they can't get hold of them unless they order them in months
    before....

    Cheers.

    Shaun aRe

  5. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Nelson Binch <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > | A short while ago (mebbe 2-300 (mainly) road miles), I fitted a set of
    > these
    > | 'ere Tacx 'sealed' bearing jockey wheels. Well, they worked great at
    > first,
    > | but now, I've noticed the bearing have become sloppy. the things will
    now
    > | wobble thusly: \ to /, somewhat. This equates to quite a bit of wear.
    I'm
    > | sure they should have done this so quickly, and I fear they may not last
    > as
    > | long as I'd hoped before becoming useless.
    > |
    > | Anyone else found them to be 'shite' for longevity?
    >
    > I'm going to have to give that couple with the recumbent tandem a call. They handed me a set of
    > those and had me put them on the XT derailleur a couple months before the store closed.

    Yup - may be worth checking on them.

    > I've used Control Tech, Carmichael and one titec sealed bearing, CNC alloy pulleys on my rides
    > with no problem. They just go on and on.

    Variety is limited around here somewhat. Might try and find replacement bearing units and fit them.
    The plastic seems to wear well, and still looks like new, so it might be worth bunging some better
    quality sealed units in there (I like to play/experiment anyhow).

    These ones haven't gone beyond their usefulness yet, so I have some time.

    Cheers Nelz.

    Shaun aRe