Tacx Real Life Video vs. structured intervals trainer sessions

Thom_y

Aug 16, 2006
I have yet to try my friend's Tacx Fortius, but I know he loves it. He says is he is able to stay on for hours riding the real life videos through the Alpes and Pyrennes. I am tempted to try, but worry I may want one too.

On the other hand, I have been focusing on doing various 45-120 minute Spinervals and CTS interval DVDs on my Cycleops fluid trainer. I make them more bearable by blasting my favorite music on my stereo as background. My question is which approach would have a greater training value, a long session using one of the Tacx Real Life videos riding through the 'mountains' or the shorter, structured interval sessions on Spinervals or CTS.

Thanks for your opinions.

Thom_y said:
I have yet to try my friend's Tacx Fortius, but I know he loves it. He says is he is able to stay on for hours riding the real life videos through the Alpes and Pyrennes. I am tempted to try, but worry I make want one too.

On the other hand, I have been focusing on doing various 45-120 minute Spinervals and CTS interval DVDs on my Cycleops fluid trainer. I make them more bearable by blasting my favorite music on my stereo as background. My question is which approach would have a greater training value, a long session using one of the Tacx Real Life videos riding through the 'mountains' or the shorter, structured interval sessions on Spinervals or CTS.

Thanks for your opinions.
Thom,

I have an I-magic and I do both longer rides and shorter intervals.

I have ridden 3 hours several times while doing the Alpine Classic stage. I typically do a hard tempo up the Galibier and spin down to Alp d'Huez and blast a Threshold effort to the top.

My favorite RLV to do 2x20 Threshold work and 5x5 VO2Max work is Mont Ventoux. It has a pretty constant grade and goes pretty much forever... When I want a good hour SST, I usually ride this one as well...

I have pretty much all of the RLV DVDs and I ridden them all, though I do have my favorites.

For an easy spin, I typically ride the virtual world rides...

I have found that this type of trainer has kept me on the bike during the winter months and I wouldn't give it up...

Jim

You can also take one of the RLV's and cut and paste its sections into intervals, climb repeats, etc. These multisessions are a great way to use the RLV's.

You can listen to music while you ride too, watch a movie, whatever. And you definitely can get in one heck of an indoor workout.