Tacx v spinning bike?

stephenmc

Oct 2, 2010
Anyone got an opinion on whether a Mag trainer would be as good as a spin bike for general fitness? (I'm talking about general health and fitness, I'm not a hard core cyclist.)

Thanks, Stephen.

If you decide to go trainer, spend a little more and get a fluid trainer like the Kurt Kinetic. It's pretty quiet, robust and it replicates the feel of riding on the road - if you're going up a slight slope that is.

Wrt your two options, I would choose the trainer. You get to use your own bike and the trainer is repeatable (at least, the Kurt Kinetic is because that's what I have).

No matter what you choose though, you will likely end up hating it. It's mental and physical torture to ride these machines at any reasonable intensity, and if you don't do reasonable intensity then there's no point to doing it all in my opinion. You'll need a big fan, something to protect the floor from all the sweating you'll be doing, water, a towel and some good music.

Good luck - if you can persevere and do lots of 20 minute intervals you will become much fitter and faster. If you can persevere that is.........