Tadpole trike front wheels

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Leav, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. Leav

    Leav Guest

    Hey everyone, I'm building a SWB RWD tadpole Trike and i'm just about where i need to get some front
    wheels. I was wondering, do i need any special wheels, or can i just use some standerd bike wheels?

    if your intrested, I have a website set up at http://leavtrike.port5.com and i update it just about
    every time I get some work done.

    i'd really like to hear some opinions about my design so far....

    Thanks,
    Leav

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Leav) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hey everyone, I'm building a SWB RWD tadpole Trike and i'm just about where i need to get some
    > front wheels. I was wondering, do i need any special wheels, or can i just use some standerd
    > bike wheels?

    Hiya-

    No, you can't use standard front bike wheels- usually you will want to have front hub brakes and you
    *need* large front axles so they can be supported on one side. Your best bet is to have a pair of
    20" wheels built on "downhill" mountain bike hubs that use 20mm diameter axles and disk brakes.

    The smallest axle you should use is 12mm diameter- and then only if you use straight (unthreaded)
    axles and cartridge bearings. Many years ago I built trikes that used moped hubs laced to bicycle
    rims: http://www.pacifier.com/~jwills/Gallery/index.html The axles were 12mm diameter, but threaded
    along their entire length. They broke pretty quickly.

    Jeff