Taff Trail Brecon to Cardiff

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Kate Hart, Jun 6, 2003.

  1. Kate Hart

    Kate Hart Guest

    Can anyone tell me what the surfaces are like on the Taff Trail in Wales. I am cycling it from
    Brecon to Cardiff in August but as a tester, my bikes faint at the sight of anything other than
    totally smooth road surface! What am I likely to encounter as I think I'll need to find myself
    another bike.

    Tags:

  2. Alun Roberts

    Alun Roberts Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32C45.9D2EA030 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

    If as you say that yer bike isn't up to much I should avoid it!.=20

    When it leaves Brecon it follows some very steep lanes that whilst = avoiding traffic just beat
    about the bush. Rather I would take the A470 = Brecon to Merthyr Tydfil. There is a long old drag
    out of Brecon after = about 2 miles that us local cyclists call the 'Glide' its about 6-8 = miles
    long it eventually takes you up to Storey Arms - the good news is = that from there on its mainly
    down hill to Cardiff. When you get on the = outskirts of Merthyr don't take the bypass road but
    rather the old road = that leads to Cardiff (still the A470). The bypass is very exposed and = in my
    opinion dangerous. When eventually you get to Pontypridd via = Cilfynnydd don't for Gods sake go on
    the drag to Cardiff although it = does have a hard shoulder it so dangerous for cyclists. Make sure
    you = get on the road that is signposted Rhydyfelin - that is the old Cardiff = Road and is
    comparatively quiet. Eventually you will come into = Tongwynlais and here pick up the Taff trail.
    The rule of thumb is that = the river Taff is always on your right hand side for nearly all the way
    = and you will come out opposite the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

    The prettiest route is Brecon-Talybont-Aber Village-Ponsticill-Merthyr. = The Taff trail uses some
    of these roads and it is very, very scenic but = be warned contains a bloody huge 1 in 4 hill. This
    route eventually = takes you into Merthyr. After that follow directions from Merthyr.

    There are a series of leaflets you can get from the Welsh Tourist Board = on the Taff Trail.=20 If
    you have a mountain bike then give it a go - but road bike - no.

    ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32C45.9D2EA030 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>If as you say that yer bike isn't up to much I = should avoid=20 it!.
    </FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT size=3D2>When it leaves Brecon it follows some very steep = lanes that=20 whilst
    avoiding traffic just beat about the bush. Rather I would take = the A470=20 Brecon to
    Merthyr Tydfil. There is a long old drag out of Brecon after=20 about 2 miles
    that us local cyclists call the 'Glide' its = about 6-8=20 miles long it eventually
    takes you up to Storey Arms - the good news is = that=20 from there on its mainly down hill
    to Cardiff. When you get on the=20 outskirts of Merthyr don't take the bypass road
    but rather the old = road=20 that leads to Cardiff (still the A470). The bypass is very
    exposed and = in my=20 opinion dangerous. When eventually you get to Pontypridd via
    Cilfynnydd = don't=20 for Gods sake go on the drag to Cardiff although it does have a hard =
    shoulder it=20 so dangerous for cyclists. Make sure you get on the road that is =
    signposted=20 Rhydyfelin - that is the old Cardiff Road and is comparatively =
    quiet.=20 Eventually you will come into Tongwynlais and here pick up the Taff = trail. The=20
    rule of thumb is that the river Taff is always on your right hand side = for=20 nearly all
    the way and you will come out opposite the Millennium Stadium = in=20 Cardiff.</FONT></DIV>
    <DVII><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVIII><FONT size=3D2>The prettiest route is Brecon-Talybont-Aber=20 Village-Ponsticill-Merthyr. The
    Taff trail uses some of these roads and = it is=20 very, very scenic but be warned contains a
    bloody huge 1 in 4 hill. This = route=20 eventually takes you into Merthyr. After that
    follow directions = from=20 Merthyr.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIX><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT size=3D2>There are a series of leaflets you can get from the = Welsh=20 Tourist Board
    on the Taff Trail. </FONT></DIV>
    <DXI><FONT size=3D2>If you have a mountain bike then give it a go - but = road bike=20
    - no.</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32C45.9D2EA030--

  3. Alun Roberts

    Alun Roberts Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

    Also try:

    Google>taff trail

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Also try:</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVI><FONT size=3D2>Google>taff trail</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0--

  4. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    Any chance you can turn off HTML posting. It isn't allowed in the uk.* hierarchy anyway but it
    renders your posts completely illegible.

    Below is what I get to see for what I think is a post that reads

    Also try:

    Google>taff trail.

    Regards,

    Tim.

    On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:07:05 +0100, Alun Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:

    > ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
    >
    > Also try:
    >
    > Google>taff trail
    >
    > ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"
    >
    ><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    >http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    >6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
    ><DIV><FONT size=3D2>Also try:</FONT></DIV>
    ><DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    ><DIV><FONT size=3D2>Google>taff trail</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
    >
    > ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0--

  5. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    "Tim Woodall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Any chance you can turn off HTML posting. It isn't allowed in the uk.* hierarchy anyway but it
    > renders your posts completely illegible.
    >
    > Below is what I get to see for what I think is a post that reads
    >
    > Also try:
    >
    > Google>taff trail.
    >

    > Regards,
    >
    > Tim.

    I'm puzzled by your post. I read a normal message - I don't know what you mean by HTML posting, I
    just read and post in the newsreader IE5.5 has supplied.

    Also; I think that top posting is frowned upon in UK*.

    Please explain your protocol message.

    Thanks

    John

  6. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    "Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm puzzled by your post. I read a normal message - I don't know what you mean by HTML posting,

    He meant the gratuitously MIMEd M$ crap that pretends to be HTML in the post up to which he was
    following.

    > I just read and post in the newsreader IE5.5 has supplied.

    And your posting is well-formed, demonstrating that it's possible even with the most notorious
    software known to Usenet. Congratulations!

    > Also; I think that top posting is frowned upon in UK*.

    Correct.

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)