Taff Trail Brecon to Cardiff

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kate Hart

Can anyone tell me what the surfaces are like on the Taff Trail in Wales. I am cycling it from
Brecon to Cardiff in August but as a tester, my bikes faint at the sight of anything other than
totally smooth road surface! What am I likely to encounter as I think I'll need to find myself
another bike.

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32C45.9D2EA030 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

If as you say that yer bike isn't up to much I should avoid it!.=20

When it leaves Brecon it follows some very steep lanes that whilst = avoiding traffic just beat
about the bush. Rather I would take the A470 = Brecon to Merthyr Tydfil. There is a long old drag
out of Brecon after = about 2 miles that us local cyclists call the 'Glide' its about 6-8 = miles
long it eventually takes you up to Storey Arms - the good news is = that from there on its mainly
down hill to Cardiff. When you get on the = outskirts of Merthyr don't take the bypass road but
rather the old road = that leads to Cardiff (still the A470). The bypass is very exposed and = in my
opinion dangerous. When eventually you get to Pontypridd via = Cilfynnydd don't for Gods sake go on
the drag to Cardiff although it = does have a hard shoulder it so dangerous for cyclists. Make sure
you = get on the road that is signposted Rhydyfelin - that is the old Cardiff = Road and is
comparatively quiet. Eventually you will come into = Tongwynlais and here pick up the Taff trail.
The rule of thumb is that = the river Taff is always on your right hand side for nearly all the way
= and you will come out opposite the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.

The prettiest route is Brecon-Talybont-Aber Village-Ponsticill-Merthyr. = The Taff trail uses some
of these roads and it is very, very scenic but = be warned contains a bloody huge 1 in 4 hill. This
route eventually = takes you into Merthyr. After that follow directions from Merthyr.

There are a series of leaflets you can get from the Welsh Tourist Board = on the Taff Trail.=20 If
you have a mountain bike then give it a go - but road bike - no.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32C45.9D2EA030 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If as you say that yer bike isn't up to much I = should avoid=20 it!.
</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT size=3D2>When it leaves Brecon it follows some very steep = lanes that=20 whilst
avoiding traffic just beat about the bush. Rather I would take = the A470=20 Brecon to
Merthyr Tydfil. There is a long old drag out of Brecon after=20 about 2 miles
that us local cyclists call the 'Glide' its = about 6-8=20 miles long it eventually
takes you up to Storey Arms - the good news is = that=20 from there on its mainly down hill
to Cardiff. When you get on the=20 outskirts of Merthyr don't take the bypass road
but rather the old = road=20 that leads to Cardiff (still the A470). The bypass is very
exposed and = in my=20 opinion dangerous. When eventually you get to Pontypridd via
Cilfynnydd = don't=20 for Gods sake go on the drag to Cardiff although it does have a hard =
shoulder it=20 so dangerous for cyclists. Make sure you get on the road that is =
signposted=20 Rhydyfelin - that is the old Cardiff Road and is comparatively =
quiet.=20 Eventually you will come into Tongwynlais and here pick up the Taff = trail. The=20
rule of thumb is that the river Taff is always on your right hand side = for=20 nearly all
the way and you will come out opposite the Millennium Stadium = in=20 Cardiff.</FONT></DIV>
<DVII><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVIII><FONT size=3D2>The prettiest route is Brecon-Talybont-Aber=20 Village-Ponsticill-Merthyr. The
Taff trail uses some of these roads and = it is=20 very, very scenic but be warned contains a
bloody huge 1 in 4 hill. This = route=20 eventually takes you into Merthyr. After that
follow directions = from=20 Merthyr.</FONT></DIV>
<DIX><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DX><FONT size=3D2>There are a series of leaflets you can get from the = Welsh=20 Tourist Board
on the Taff Trail. </FONT></DIV>
<DXI><FONT size=3D2>If you have a mountain bike then give it a go - but = road bike=20
- no.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C32C45.9D2EA030--

This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"

Also try:

Google>taff trail

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Also try:</FONT></DIV>
<DV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DVI><FONT size=3D2>Google>taff trail</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0--

Any chance you can turn off HTML posting. It isn't allowed in the uk.* hierarchy anyway but it
renders your posts completely illegible.

Below is what I get to see for what I think is a post that reads

Also try:

Google>taff trail.

Regards,

Tim.

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 17:07:05 +0100, Alun Roberts <[email protected]> wrote:
> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
> Also try:
>
> Google>taff trail
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="Windows-1252"
> Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
>
><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
>http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Dwindows-1252"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
>6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
><DIV><FONT size=3D2>Also try:</FONT></DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
><DIV><FONT size=3D2>Google>taff trail</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C32C4E.0E0648F0--
>

--
God said, "div D = rho, div B = 0, curl E = - @B/@t, curl H = J + @D/@t," and there was light.

http://tjw.hn.org/ http://www.locofungus.btinternet.co.uk/

"Tim Woodall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Any chance you can turn off HTML posting. It isn't allowed in the uk.* hierarchy anyway but it
> renders your posts completely illegible.
>
> Below is what I get to see for what I think is a post that reads
>
> Also try:
>
> Google>taff trail.
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim.

I'm puzzled by your post. I read a normal message - I don't know what you mean by HTML posting, I
just read and post in the newsreader IE5.5 has supplied.

Also; I think that top posting is frowned upon in UK*.

Please explain your protocol message.

Thanks

John

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
"Eatmorepies" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm puzzled by your post. I read a normal message - I don't know what you mean by HTML posting,

He meant the gratuitously MIMEd M$ **** that pretends to be HTML in the post up to which he was
following.

> I just read and post in the newsreader IE5.5 has supplied.

And your posting is well-formed, demonstrating that it's possible even with the most notorious
software known to Usenet. Congratulations!

> Also; I think that top posting is frowned upon in UK*.

Correct.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

Status
Not open for further replies.