"Tag alongs" for kids - any advice?

less'go

Sep 11, 2003
Thinking about getting a tag along for my youngest (3), does anybody have some advice on what to look for, and more generally, if it's a good investment or more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks!

Originally posted by less'go
Thinking about getting a tag along for my youngest (3), does anybody have some advice on what to look for, and more generally, if it's a good investment or more trouble than it's worth?

Thanks!

The only problem I've heard of is that the kids get relaxed on the back end, dozes off, and end up falling off! (Do the buggy, it's a whole lot safer).

I should qualify that statement. A friend of mine that owns a LBS that sells them has received that feedback from his customers. (Our decision on a trailer was made real easy as far as I was concerned).

Thanks!

I have one and we love it! My 5 year old has been on 2 wheels now for 2 years but we still use it regularly. It's great if we want to cover more than 15 miles.
I got an Adams Starter "trail a bike". We also have one of those trailer things and I hate it! At least twice the effort to drag that thing around, the kids get filthy from your back tire, and they can't see anything. My son never falls asleep - he's to busy laughing, singing and yelling "faster daddy faster"!

I got mine from an LBS for about $150 USD. They pop up on Craigslist regularly for a lot less. Also, now that my guy is a good cyclist, I wish we'd gotten the one with gears so he can help on the hills:D
Also watch out making tight turns as it takes a tighter circle than your bike and the kid can clip something - yeah, we learned that the hard way!

It was a great purchase and we'll probably get another couple of years out of it - when it's time for a tandem!

Tim

Thanks for the info. I have a couple quick questions, if you don't mind - actually, before I trouble you with those, I'll look for some info on the web on the Adams trail a bike, like how do you attach/un-attach, and yes, it woul be nice to have a model where he could give me a hand pedaling.

Now I'm gonna' need a bike garage!

Sara

Oh! Keeewwwwwl! I have to get one of those, my friend. I see now how it attaches and it looks simple! Pricey, but I see no other way to do it. Trailer way too big for the kind of riding we'll be doing, seperate bike out of the question on a ride of more than a couple of miles, and the childseat is way too passive plus she's getting way too big!

Oh! Keeewwwwwl! I have to get one of those, my friend. I see now how it attaches and it looks simple! Pricey, but I see no other way to do it. Trailer way too big for the kind of riding we'll be doing, seperate bike out of the question on a ride of more than a couple of miles, and the childseat is way too passive plus she's getting way too big!

Yeah, they are pretty simple. Once you have the adapter fitted to your seat post, it as simple as a quick release wheel. I think there may be other makers. I've seen an awkard one that attaches a regular kids bike to your seat post via a big pole - kinda heavy and awkward looking though.

A friend has a folding one and the way it's built is such that a kid with short legs - like under 5 years old, can't actually pedal - the seat is way too high. I'm not sure if it's an Adams though.

It's really fun using these with a kid by the way :D

Tim

I'm psyched, but wow, the price tag is high, about 500$ for the really good model. Thinking about trying to find a used model. Plus, not available in France! Bummer. But it would be a good reason to make a trip to Holland, where there's a dealer (no pun intended!).

Will continue my investigations, maybe consider another make... Research to be done, thanks again for the info. Especially nice to hear that it's a fun set-up to use.

Sara

I went a cheaper route. Got six feet of rode. Just drag the little one behind me. He doesn't enjpy it yet but I'll keep trying.

I think he's scared of lycra now though, because he cries whenever he see's me put on my shirt. oh well he'll get over it and in the interim its a great workout.

Definitely cheaper, though being a mom and a "softy" that just means the kid ends up getting off the bike and refusing to go any further. I'm sure with her Dad it would be another story entirely.

Lycraphobia is yet another alarming new syndrom. You should probably spend a few thousand on specialized therapy. Or, perhaps, initiate a lawsuit against lycra manufacturers. I think they're doing an episode of 60 Minutes on Lycra abuse next week. Watch out, you may be permanently traumatizing your young one ;-).

S