Tail Box Report

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Tom Blum, May 11, 2003.

  1. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    I have now ridden my bent with the tail box installed for about 50 miles. I thought I would
    report back.

    I'm sorry to say that I can't notice any clear increase in speed. I'm still hanging in there at 17
    to 19 mph. Today, I rode 20 miles. The first ten I averaged about 18. (about because I screwed up
    the cyclometer in my anaerobic haze. I had 5 miles at 18.3 and 5 at 17.6.

    I did notice a lot of red (my fairing is red) in the triangle formed by my head, my shoulder and the
    fairing. I'm going to recut that area to see if I can reduce frontal area.

    I believe I'm just not powerfull enough, at this time, to go fast enough to get the benefits of a
    fairing. I keep reading that they cut in at speeds over 20. That's my ceiling now.

    Tom

    Tags:

  2. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    I forgot a detail of yesterdays report:

    Snake sighting

    I saw what was either a coral snake or a scarlet king snake while riding yesterday. It was the right
    length (12" to 18" and colorful. I can't remember the order of colors, which is how you tell them
    apart. Black head and "black on yellow, deadly fellow". The same anaerobic haze that caused me to
    screw up the cyclometer caused the snake to not register until it was behind me. Like all self
    respecting snakes, it was headed for the bush. As soon as they feel the vibrations, they stop or
    head for the deep brush at the side of the trail. Yesterday was a good snake day, I saw several
    other larger snakes, probably rat snake, of 4 feet up.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  3. Tom This sounds like a really good place to NOT fall off your bent, lest you become lunch.
    ------------------------
    "Tom Blum" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I forgot a detail of yesterdays report:
    >
    > Snake sighting
    >
    > I saw what was either a coral snake or a scarlet king snake while riding yesterday. It was the
    > right length (12" to 18" and colorful. I can't remember the order of colors, which is how you tell
    > them apart. Black head and "black on yellow, deadly fellow". The same anaerobic haze that caused
    me
    > to screw up the cyclometer caused the snake to not register until it was behind me. Like all self
    > respecting snakes, it was headed for the bush. As soon as they feel the vibrations, they stop or
    > head for the deep brush at the side of the trail. Yesterday was a good snake day, I saw several
    > other larger snakes, probably rat snake, of 4 feet up.
    >

    > --
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum

  4. Bruce

    Bruce Guest

    red and black, friend of jack; red and yellow, kill a fellow.

    That's how I learned it. I added a third stanza:

    When in doubt, get the h*** out!

    Bruce

    Tom Blum wrote:
    > I forgot a detail of yesterdays report:
    >
    > Snake sighting
    >
    > I saw what was either a coral snake or a scarlet king snake while riding yesterday. It was the
    > right length (12" to 18" and colorful. I can't remember the order of colors, which is how you tell
    > them apart. Black head and "black on yellow, deadly fellow". The same anaerobic haze that caused
    > me to screw up the cyclometer caused the snake to not register until it was behind me. Like all
    > self respecting snakes, it was headed for the bush. As soon as they feel the vibrations, they stop
    > or head for the deep brush at the side of the trail. Yesterday was a good snake day, I saw several
    > other larger snakes, probably rat snake, of 4 feet up.
    >

    > --
    > Miles of Smiles,
    >
    > Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone
    >
    > www.gate.net/~teblum

  5. Michael Ross

    Michael Ross Guest

    Hi Tom,

    I just finished a tailbox myself. I noticed an increase from 34 to 39 mph on the steepest hill near
    my home. I think is is good for a mile an hour in the 17 to 20 mph range. The faster I go the better
    it compares.

    My DF ridiing buddy got right behind me and put his hand down behind my taillight. He said my "sweet
    spot" is gone. He can't find draft behind me any more.

    Have you got a picture of yours I can see?

    Here's a link to my pictures:

    http://www.mindspring.com/~michaelross/BikeStuff

    TailBox_Side_All.JPG is the best view. The rest are construction details.

    Mike

    Tom Blum wrote:

    > I have now ridden my bent with the tail box installed for about 50 miles. I thought I would report
    > back. SNIP

    > Tom

  6. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On Fri, 16 May 2003 22:35:54 -0400, Michael Ross <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just finished a tailbox myself. I noticed an increase from 34 to 39 mph on the steepest hill near
    >my home. I think is is good for a mile an hour in the 17 to 20 mph range. The faster I go the
    >better it compares.
    >
    >http://www.mindspring.com/~michaelross/BikeStuff

    Nice looking tailbox. Is it Coroplast?

    I made prototype tailbox out of cardboard for my BikeE. Mine was smaller and less apparently
    effective.

    BTW, I suspect you've invalidated your warranty by drilling holes in the frame! %^)

    Jon Meinecke

  7. Michael Ross

    Michael Ross Guest

    Yes, coroplast.

    I am heartbroken about the warranty thing 8<(

    Any pictures of your box?

    Mike

    Jon Meinecke wrote:

    > On Fri, 16 May 2003 22:35:54 -0400, Michael Ross <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I just finished a tailbox myself. I noticed an increase from 34 to 39 mph on the steepest hill
    > >near my home. I think is is good for a mile an hour in the 17 to 20 mph range. The faster I go
    > >the better it compares.
    > >
    > >http://www.mindspring.com/~michaelross/BikeStuff
    >
    > Nice looking tailbox. Is it Coroplast?
    >
    > I made prototype tailbox out of cardboard for my BikeE. Mine was smaller and less apparently
    > effective.
    >
    > BTW, I suspect you've invalidated your warranty by drilling holes in the frame! %^)
    >
    > Jon Meinecke

  8. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 00:18:51 -0400, Michael Ross <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes, coroplast.

    Yours is very nicely shaped and finished. My cardboard trial tailbox was, er,-- much more 'boxy' and
    probably too short to do much good. I wanted something for storage/luggage as well and the plastic
    storage box mounted on the beam worked adequately if less elegantly.

    >Any pictures of your box?

    No, I never went beyond the trial stage. The BikeE is now my loaner/utility bike and the need for
    more speed was addressed with a Tour Easy.

    I'm still toying with a few ideas for an inexpensive tailbox for the TE. Streamlining would help,
    I'm sure, but I think hills and weight are more of an issue for me at my average speed. More
    importantly for me, an engine reconditioning is already under way. %^)

    Jon Meinecke