Tailbone Pain

canuck

Nov 19, 2002
I just purchased a Eddy Merckx Team SC (NICE!!!).<br />I live in Canada ,so, winter months i have taken to the indoor trainer. On my trainer (CyclopsFluid2) I ride for 45 minutes, I don't stand out of the saddle because i don't want to stress the frame out. MY problem is with pain in my tailbone, when i ride outside i feel in better position on my bike but i don't change anything, indoors i feel more cramped! I don't feel pain riding out side, indoors i do. Am i riding too long on my trainer or is my positioning wrong. Any help would be grand!!! :-[

Some trainers (i don't know the CyclopsFluid2) pick the wheel a bit up at the back, so that your bike is tilted a bit forward. We then sometime compensate by pushing ourselfs more upright and this causes some presure on the tailbone. They other reason may be that you are not use to stay in the saddle for 45 min. I have a pair of rolers and we all know how difficult it is to ride out of the saddle on those things. I also struggle to stay that long in the saddle. The stress on the frame is minimal. Most frames is designed to bend a bit to compensate for the stresses during rides. Just stand for a little while now and then and see if it helps. Don't ride hard when standing if you a bit scared of bending the frame.

[quote author=canuck link=board=19;threadid=2674;start=0#22865 date=1037743923]<br />I just purchased a Eddy Merckx Team SC (NICE!!!).<br />I live in Canada ,so, winter months i have taken to the indoor trainer. On my trainer (CyclopsFluid2) I ride for 45 minutes, I don't stand out of the saddle because i don't want to stress the frame out. MY problem is with pain in my tailbone, when i ride outside i feel in better position on my bike but i don't change anything, indoors i feel more cramped! I don't feel pain riding out side, indoors i do. Am i riding too long on my trainer or is my positioning wrong. Any help would be grand!!! :-[<br />[/quote]<br /><br />Congrats with your purchase, you won't regret it. <br /><br />Do you have a special stand for your front wheel, maybe that'll help. I ride a lot on my trainer (sometimes 3-4 hrs in a row) and haven't experienced any problems. I was having saddle pain though at first, but after changing my old leather saddle to a Selle Italia Trimatic 2 Gel, I haven't had any more problems.<br /><br />Greetz,<br /><br />Niek

[quote author=nferyn link=board=19;threadid=2674;start=0#22886 date=1037784440]<br />Congrats with your purchase, you won't regret it. <br /><br />Do you have a special stand for your front wheel, maybe that'll help. I ride a lot on my trainer (sometimes 3-4 hrs in a row) and haven't experienced any problems. I was having saddle pain though at first, but after changing my old leather saddle to a Selle Italia Trimatic 2 Gel, I haven't had any more problems.<br /><br />Greetz,<br /><br />Niek<br />[/quote]<br /><br />mate, those Selle Italia Trimatic seats are awesome. I brought one a couple of days ago and its the best money i've spent in ages ;)

[quote author=Steve link=board=19;threadid=2674;start=0#22887 date=1037785061]<br />[quote author=nferyn link=board=19;threadid=2674;start=0#22886 date=1037784440]<br />Congrats with your purchase, you won't regret it. <br /><br />Do you have a special stand for your front wheel, maybe that'll help. I ride a lot on my trainer (sometimes 3-4 hrs in a row) and haven't experienced any problems. I was having saddle pain though at first, but after changing my old leather saddle to a Selle Italia Trimatic 2 Gel, I haven't had any more problems.<br /><br />Greetz,<br /><br />Niek<br />[/quote]<br /><br />mate, those Selle Italia Trimatic seats are awesome. I brought one a couple of days ago and its the best money i've spent in ages ;) <br />[/quote]<br /><br />My bike is rather old and when I started taking riding a little more I had some problems with saddle pain and as the leather of my old saddle had become too hard, I decided to buy a new saddle. It's much lighter than my old one, very comfortable and it offers enough support as well. An excellent choice. The old trimatic on my brother's bike isn't very comfortable though.

Thanks for the info !!<br />I do have a front wheel lift so my bike can be level,downsloped or upsloped. I ride an SLR ultra , nice saddle, took awhile to break in. I am thinking of buying the saddles with the cutouts along the middle because i do experience pain in the Zone(technical name has deserted me).For the record my saddle is level and adjusted properly to my knowledge.