Tailbox for Bacchetta Aero

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Nathan Congdon, Oct 21, 2003.

  1. A quick search suggests this topic has only been touched on here obliquely in the past, my apologies
    if I have missed a previous thread...

    The RCN article on the Aero last year suggested that Rich Pinto was thinking along the lines of
    doing a tailbox for the Aero. Has anything been done in this area? Anybody done their own? Could a
    standard M5 carbon lowracer tailbox fit, given that the M5 seat is presumably the same as on the
    Aero? I think the M5 website suggests their tailbox (not the luggage one, but the racing one) weighs
    about a kg, and adds quite a bit of speed on the flat and downhill per their own tests.

    Thanks for your thoughts/experiences.

    Nathan

    Tags:

  2. "Nathan Congdon" skrev...

    > The RCN article on the Aero last year suggested that Rich Pinto was thinking along the lines of
    > doing a tailbox for the Aero. Has anything been done in this area? Anybody done their own? Could a
    > standard M5 carbon lowracer tailbox fit, given that the M5 seat is presumably the same as on the
    > Aero? I think the M5 website suggests their tailbox (not the luggage one, but the racing one)
    > weighs about a kg, and adds quite a bit of speed on the flat and downhill per their own tests.

    At the risk of sounding like Tom a tailfairing is an aerodynamic shell while a tailbox can actually
    carry something and still be aero (but heavier). :)

    The M5 tailfairing does indeed weigh about a kilo and its sweet to have. I got one on my Velokraft.
    Finaggled an attachment to the seat using aluminium L-profiles I popriveted together. M5 mounting
    kit came without any instructions so I gave up on that pretty fast. It was for their lowracer
    anyway. Bear in mind this fairing gives you absolutely no space for tools or extra clothes etc.
    unless you rig something yourself. I made a little room for tools, lock and pump in the "headhump"
    but I could do with some more sometimes. Keeps weight down though. Its not as tall as the Optima
    tailfairing so works best with a reclined seat.

    Just my 2 cents. I know some people have them over in the US.

    Mikael

  3. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > "Nathan Congdon" skrev...
    >
    > > The RCN article on the Aero last year suggested that Rich Pinto was thinking along the lines of
    > > doing a tailbox for the Aero. Has anything been done in this area? Anybody done their own? Could
    > > a standard M5 carbon lowracer tailbox fit, given that the M5 seat is presumably the same as on
    > > the Aero? I think the M5 website suggests their tailbox (not the luggage one, but the racing
    > > one) weighs about a kg, and adds quite a bit of speed on the flat and downhill per their own
    > > tests.
    >
    > At the risk of sounding like Tom a tailfairing is an aerodynamic shell while a tailbox can
    > actually carry something and still be aero (but heavier). :)
    >
    > The M5 tailfairing does indeed weigh about a kilo and its sweet to have. I got one on my
    > Velokraft. Finaggled an attachment to the seat using aluminium L-profiles I popriveted together.
    > M5 mounting kit came without any instructions so I gave up on that pretty fast. It was for their
    > lowracer anyway. Bear in mind this fairing gives you absolutely no space for tools or extra
    > clothes etc. unless you rig something yourself. I made a little room for tools, lock and pump in
    > the "headhump" but I could do with some more sometimes. Keeps weight down though. Its not as tall
    > as the Optima tailfairing so works best with a reclined seat.
    >
    > Just my 2 cents. I know some people have them over in the US.

    And as I recall, they sure make changing a rear flat an experience to remember.

    http://www.clee.org/Denmark/images/WebSize/IMG_0700.JPG

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  4. "Cletus Lee" skrev

    > And as I recall, they sure make changing a rear flat an experience to remember.

    Nope, not really. I could have taken the wheel off. However I prefer leaving it on to avoid hassle
    with gears afterwards.

    Mikael

  5. I made a coroplast tail fairing/box for my dual 650C Aerocycle. It weighs about 2.5 lbs including
    mounting hardware. Since there is a horizontal divider inside, it functions as a tail box holding my
    hydration bladder and spare clothing, which is front loaded by where it is wider than the M5 seat.

    It seems I get that 1 to 1 1/2 mph speed gain that is usually discussed, and most of the DF riders I
    hang out with freely complain about the lack of draft they find behind me:>)

    But best of all, I got the Ed Gin seal of approval for 'one of the nicest coroplast tail fairings
    he's seen'.

    I'd like to have a nice CF tail fairing, but it's tough to beat the $12 materials charge to make
    a coro one.

    Bruce Shannahoff Los Angeles

    > A quick search suggests this topic has only been touched on here obliquely in the past, my
    > apologies if I have missed a previous thread...
    >
    > The RCN article on the Aero last year suggested that Rich Pinto was thinking along the lines of
    > doing a tailbox for the Aero. Has anything been done in this area? Anybody done their own? Could a
    > standard M5 carbon lowracer tailbox fit, given that the M5 seat is presumably the same as on the
    > Aero? I think the M5 website suggests their tailbox (not the luggage one, but the racing one)
    > weighs about a kg, and adds quite a bit of speed on the flat and downhill per their own tests.
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts/experiences.
    >
    > Nathan

  6. Tzenobite

    Tzenobite Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Bruce Shannahoff
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I made a coroplast tail fairing/box for my dual 650C Aerocycle. It
    [..]
    > Bruce Shannahoff Los Angeles
    any pics? ;-)

    matteo soon on a 2x26 trelis frame highracer

  7. "Torben Scheel" skrev

    > And a little PhotoShop gymnastics reveals Cletus near the action. Thank's for puncturing by the
    > beach on a hot sunny day, Mikael!
    >
    > Nice memories (maybe not for M.. ;-)

    Flats are no big deal. Except the one I got yesterday. I was dressed for riding but not for patching
    flats. *brrrr* (4-6 degrees C and a tad windy)

    Mikael

  8. "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Torben Scheel" skrev
    >
    > > And a little PhotoShop gymnastics reveals Cletus near the action.
    Thank's
    > > for puncturing by the beach on a hot sunny day, Mikael!
    > >
    > > Nice memories (maybe not for M.. ;-)
    >
    > Flats are no big deal. Except the one I got yesterday. I was dressed for riding but not for
    > patching flats. *brrrr* (4-6 degrees C and a tad windy)
    I agree - but you missed all the nice sunbathing gal's ;-)

  9. Sticker Jim

    Sticker Jim Guest